Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Commerce

The Commerce Department's mission is to help make American businesses more innovative at home and more competitive abroad. It is comprised of 12 different agencies responsible for everything from weather forecasts to patent protection. They include:

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Immafed  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2017 3:57:21 PM(UTC)
Immafed

Groups: Registered
United States

I have a friend thinking about going to ECPI for a bachelor degree completion program in cyber security. She is concerned she will be looked over for having a degree from ECPI vs. a traditional brick and mortar school. Besides all of the veterans and disabled preferences, if she is qualified would she get a job having a degree from ECPI? I'd love to hear from HR and hiring managers on this. Thanks!
SD Analyst  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:16:09 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 321 time(s) in 274 post(s)
You should really ask this in the New Hire forum https://forum.federalsou...t.aspx?g=topics&f=17
You are posting under the Commerce Dept. and I don't think you're going to get answers here, since it's not related.

Edited by user Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:17:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

computerscott2  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 5:43:48 AM(UTC)
computerscott2

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 22 post(s)
As an IT manager I have never looked at where you got the degree, but do you have the skills. If all you have done is gone to school and you have done nothing to gain experience, then I might be concerned. I might ask "What does your home network look like?" If I hear, "when I get home from school the last thing on my mind is IT..." then I pretty much have my answer of your desire to be in IT. If instead I hear " I have downloaded many applications and network security tools and play with them in my spare time..." I am intrigued to know more.

Is your friend passionate about being in IT or did they get in "because there is good money in IT"? Did they choose ECPI because they thought it would be a good, quick, cheap way to get into IT or did they do it because they want to change career fields, can't afford to quit their other job, but they love the IT field and are looking for anyway to get a foothold in the industry? That matters more than where you went to school.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed