Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs)

The United States has the most comprehensive system of assistance for veterans of any nation in the world. This benefits system traces its roots back to 1636, when the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony were at war with the Pequot Indians. The Pilgrims passed a law which stated that disabled soldiers would be supported by the colony. The establishment of the Veterans Administration came in 1930 when Congress authorized the President to "consolidate and coordinate Government activities affecting war veterans."

This forum also includes the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).

Perhaps you are working for the VA or interested in working for the VA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the VA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Biker54  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 09, 2017 5:14:44 AM(UTC)
Biker54

Groups: Registered
United States

I am a reservist who submitted my military leave eight months prior to going on my annual training deployment in Europe. I also submitted documentation to the VA prior to my departure to Europe. We had a reorg at the VA. My old supervisor "Jane" was transferred to another org. I was in email contact with my temporary supervisor "Joe" days before I left for Europe. He said he would be my temporary supervisor. Eight days later an email was sent to everyone in my VA org announcing a new and second temporary supervisor, "Bob". Problem is that I was already gone on my training deployment and did not/could not receive VA email while on military status. In effect, I did not know my supervisor had changed. My airlift back from Europe was delayed TWO days due to many aircraft maintenance problems. I emailed "Joe" Friday, the day before I was to originally return from Europe (Sat)requesting to take leave the coming Monday because I would be flying through the night back from Europe and would be exhausted from lack of sleep and the effects of jet lag. "Joe" approved my leave verbally- good. I get back to my VA office yesterday and find an email from my old supervisor "Jane" saying I was being charged with being AWOL for Monday because I did not notify my supervisor "Bob" I was taking leave, but I had no access to my VA office email on my military training deployment. Suggestions on fighting this absurd charge. Thanks.
HR Bubba  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:21:46 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 102 post(s)
The U.S. Department of Labor, Veterans Employment and Training Service (VETS) is authorized to investigate and resolve complaints of USERRA violations.
✩✩
For assistance in filing a complaint, or for any other information on USERRA, contact VETS at 1-866-4-USA-DOL or visit its website at http://www.dol.gov/vets. An interactive online USERRA Advisor can be viewed at http://www.dol.gov/elaws/userra.htm.
✩✩
If you file a complaint with VETS and VETS is unable to resolve it, you may request that your case be referred to the Department of Justice or the Office of Special Counsel, as applicable, for representation.
✩✩
You may also bypass the VETS process and bring a civil action against an employer for violations of USERRA.
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:28:07 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 398 time(s) in 350 post(s)
There are also some provisions in the law that you do not have to return to work right away, but I think that is only for longer deployments. Not sure if that would apply to regular annual training.

Nonetheless they are being a bunch of ***** (I put the asterisks in myself knowing FedSoup would do it for me). And this is the VA. Precious.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:00:30 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 664 time(s) in 504 post(s)
If Jane is not your supervisor, then she is out of her lane. Talk to Bob and bring Joe into the conversation. This is a pure miscommunication issue (and why didn't Joe let you know Bob was the correct person to talk to?).
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
Metalhed on 8/11/2017(UTC)
Go saints  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:39:20 AM(UTC)
Go saints

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed