Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JoeVet  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 12, 2017 11:06:41 AM(UTC)
JoeVet

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello. Please skip to the last paragraph if this amount of text looks too detailed for a simple question.

First some background information:

I have been in Federal employment for over 20 years, including two agencies and military service. I have only received one less than good annual appraisal, a minimum satisfactory. The supervisor who gave me that actually put incorrect information in the appraisal two years ago but I did not challenge it after she denied the mistake. Frankly, I never thought I would be in the position to have my work questioned to this level again. I did something I was told to do when I was hired, and she turned it into something it was not. I recovered under another supervisor when there was a shift in staff. However, she is now my supervisor again after one year. Four months ago at the 6-month evaluation, my performance was questioned as I had not been as productive as before. This was 100% not my fault as my work load was heavier than normal. Since then, things have headed downhill.

I won't bore you all with the details but there were two legitimate criticisms, some subjective criticisms, some shady allegations, and a bunch of new requirements that affect me only, and not my co-workers, where there are greater expectations on me. I do feel my supervisor is incompetent and setting me up for failure and on some occasions, to cover her own faults. I do not not if she is being heavily criticized by our director or not for her own actions, which would be a shame if not. I also feel our director is targeting me and that some of these decisions were made with his input or from his direction. I know he is obsessed with our office's quotas and is also feeling pressured since everyone's numbers are down. I know a couple of other co-workers in our small office are also being criticized and under other scrutiny. One last point for background, I have been vocal to almost every co-worker at one point or another that I don't care for either supervisor's management, since my less than stellar review 2 years ago. Yeah, I have a big mouth. Maybe some things got back to them.

I don't want to remain with this agency. I am embarrassed to work with my current supervisor. I don't know if I am being set-up for dismissal or when I started producing better numbers again, the heat would disappear. I do know I want to leave and have begun applying for other positions in the Federal government. I applied using my FY16 appraisal with an "exceeds standards." I feel I may be looking at a complete failure to meet the standards appraisal at this point, affecting my ability to find work in another agency.

Now to my questions. If I am not interviewed for a position I recently applied for before October, will they ask to see the FY17 appraisal although I submitted the then most recent FY16 one? Is quitting ever a better option in the hopes that I won't receive a complete appraisal for the year? Can they judge me on 10-11 months just the same? I plan on leaving by the end of the year because I can't handle the humiliation of knowing most of my alleged shortcomings are made-up as of late. I don't think I would prevail outright in challenging them to a higher level, or enough to make a difference. I feel the Regional office values their experience and value to the agency more than mine and wouldn't overturn them enough to make a difference. I can deal with not having a paycheck for a few months. I will have access to healthcare. My pride is too valuable at my age to be humiliated and my worth or competency questioned.

Sorry if this is too long. In a nutshell, are 10-11 months enough for a complete appraisal? Are there advantages to quitting before mid-September before I can receive a poor appraisal? Do hiring agencies always ask to see the news appraisal even if the one I submitted with my application was then most recent?
DaVinci95  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 4:54:59 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
It may differ by agency, but the Navy requires a closeout appraisal when an employee leaves. And when checking references, I'd start with the most recent supervisor, so they'd find out anyway. If they do ask for the 2017 appraisal, I'd explain the situation and back it up with several years of favorable appraisals.
JoeVet  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 13, 2017 6:30:52 PM(UTC)
JoeVet

United States

Thanks for the reply. I will appeal the appraisal and, if there is any justice, I will at least get it turned into a minimally successful, which isn't very good and hardly deserved, but maybe that will cause enough of a delay.

Edited by user Sunday, August 13, 2017 6:31:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed