Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cataract2  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2017 8:20:40 AM(UTC)
Cataract2

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
So, the posting with which I have a TO for didn't not offer relocation. I have accepted the TO and am working on a step increase right now. Talking with my future boss, he mentioned that he is working on getting my relocation as well. He put in the paperwork for my step increase and is putting the paperwork together for relocation assistance. Of course, until I see that in black and white it doesn't exist as far as I am concerned. Still, it would be very helpful.

I was wondering if anyone else has had such a thing happen and had it go through? Posting doesn't offer it, but the future boss manages to get it for you.
ji_  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:58:44 AM(UTC)
ji_

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Cataract2,

For now, forget the tentative offer (TO). Let's talk about the job announcement.

By posting, I assume you mean the original job announcement -- did the posting (job announcement) say YES or NO regarding payment of relocation expenses? Or was it wholly silent on the matter?
Cataract2  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:02:22 AM(UTC)
Cataract2

United States

Originally Posted by: ji_ Go to Quoted Post
Cataract2,

For now, forget the tentative offer (TO). Let's talk about the job announcement.

By posting, I assume you mean the original job announcement -- did the posting (job announcement) say YES or NO regarding payment of relocation expenses? Or was it wholly silent on the matter?

It said No.

Though I checked with the HR rep and was told that the paperwork that my hiring manager (future boss) put in for relocation assistance is now on the shipyard commanders desk for signature.
Nene864  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:53:26 AM(UTC)
Nene864

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I requested a step increase and relocation for a position that in the announcement offered relocated with command funding. Even though the hiring official said that it would get approved, someone above him denied both. So just be prepared to make a decision if they are denied. I still took the job.
Cataract2  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:57:29 PM(UTC)
Cataract2

United States

Originally Posted by: Nene864 Go to Quoted Post
I requested a step increase and relocation for a position that in the announcement offered relocated with command funding. Even though the hiring official said that it would get approved, someone above him denied both. So just be prepared to make a decision if they are denied. I still took the job.

Most certainly. At this point it has made it to the shipyard commanders desk with my step increase paperwork. So I'm hoping it will be approved. I figure it had to go through a number of people at this point to make it that far.
ji_  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:09:04 AM(UTC)
ji_

To help readers avoid confusion...

Payment of RELOCATION EXPENSES occurs under the FTR (or JTR for DoD) under the authority of GSA.

Payment of a RELOCATION INCENTIVE is wholly separate from the above and is under the authority of OPM.

These are different.

I think the original poster is talking about Payment of a RELOCATION INCENTIVE rather than Payment of RELOCATION EXPENSES.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:09:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cataract2  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:26:40 AM(UTC)
Cataract2

United States

To help readers avoid confusion...

Payment of RELOCATION EXPENSES occurs under the FTR (or JTR for DoD) under the authority of GSA.

Payment of a RELOCATION INCENTIVE is wholly separate from the above and is under the authority of OPM.

These are different.

I think the original poster is talking about Payment of a RELOCATION INCENTIVE rather than Payment of RELOCATION EXPENSES.

To be honest. I really do not know which it would fall under. The position is a DOD position and my hiring manager (future boss) put together the paperwork to get my relocation. The posting listed "Relocation Authorized? No." Though now it turns out that the paperwork for relocation has made it to the shipyard commanders desk. So I imagine it has gone through a number of people for approval. In the end I know this could be shot down at the commanders desk before going back to HR, but I think by now it probably is a formality and it might be a done deal. Won't believe it until I see it in black and white.
ji_  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 10:02:51 AM(UTC)
ji_

Let us know when you get an answer.

Since the vacancy announcement specifically said NO to payment of RELOCATION EXPENSES, I don't think this is what you are being recommended for. The "Relocation Authorized? No." from the vacancy announcement applies to payment of RELOCATION EXPENSES (mileage, per diem, government-arranged household goods shipment, reimbursement for temporary quarters, reimbursement for real estate expenses, and so forth, as provided for in the FTR/JTR). I am supposing that when you get your approval, it will be for payment of a RELOCATION INCENTIVE (a flat amount based as a percentage of salary, not on a reimbursement basis).
Cataract2  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 6:37:41 PM(UTC)
Cataract2

United States

Let us know when you get an answer.

Since the vacancy announcement specifically said NO to payment of RELOCATION EXPENSES, I don't think this is what you are being recommended for. The "Relocation Authorized? No." from the vacancy announcement applies to payment of RELOCATION EXPENSES (mileage, per diem, government-arranged household goods shipment, reimbursement for temporary quarters, reimbursement for real estate expenses, and so forth, as provided for in the FTR/JTR). I am supposing that when you get your approval, it will be for payment of a RELOCATION INCENTIVE (a flat amount based as a percentage of salary, not on a reimbursement basis).

So I found out today it will be the Relocation Incentive which is a flat rate amount. Was kind of what I was expecting though. If that goes all the way through it will be a nice surprise for me. Better than nothing at all.
ji_  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:52:22 AM(UTC)
ji_

Good news!

You can read more about payment of a RELOCATION INCENTIVE at https://www.opm.gov/poli.../relocation-incentives/. Even if it is approved, I hope you are able to afford the move without the incentive. At the website, you will read that, "The incentive may be paid as an initial lump-sum payment at the beginning of the service period, in installments throughout the service period, as a final lump-sum payment upon completion of the service period...." You will also read that payment of the relocation incentive is premised on a service agreement, wherein you promise to serve for a certain period of time and agree that the incentive is forfeit if you break the service agreement or don't receive fully successful performance ratings.

Edited by user Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:56:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cataract2  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:16:00 AM(UTC)
Cataract2

United States

Good news!

You can read more about payment of a RELOCATION INCENTIVE at https://www.opm.gov/poli.../relocation-incentives/. Even if it is approved, I hope you are able to afford the move without the incentive. At the website, you will read that, "The incentive may be paid as an initial lump-sum payment at the beginning of the service period, in installments throughout the service period, as a final lump-sum payment upon completion of the service period...." You will also read that payment of the relocation incentive is premised on a service agreement, wherein you promise to serve for a certain period of time and agree that the incentive is forfeit if you break the service agreement or don't receive fully successful performance ratings.

My spouse and I were certainly planning on moving without it. I was rather surprised when my hiring manager told me he was also putting me in for relocation. Ultimately we would just be taking the move expenses off on our taxes and just pay it off. This would just help with the pay off part by making it happen a lot faster. As for the service period, well, I have no plans to move again or changes jobs again after this. I was very particular about what I put in for and asked very specific questions when the Q&A session of the interview occurred. I want this to be the last change for a long time.
ROMAN  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:09:39 AM(UTC)
ROMAN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello Cataract2-any updated information on your relocation incentive? I would sure like to know and details too if possible. I guess all you did was ask and it seems like the old adage...ask and you shall receive perhaps in this situation?
Cataract2  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:25:31 AM(UTC)
Cataract2

United States

Originally Posted by: ROMAN Go to Quoted Post
Hello Cataract2-any updated information on your relocation incentive? I would sure like to know and details too if possible. I guess all you did was ask and it seems like the old adage...ask and you shall receive perhaps in this situation?

Certainly. I am also posting in the New Hire section under the New Hire Timeline thread with updates. But at this point my step increase paperwork is back so I will be getting the step increase. The relocation incentive has passed through the shipyard commanders office, but has to go offsite to be approved. So, still waiting. I'm thinking probably will learn something next week at the earliest. Hopefully something good.
Cataract2  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:36:56 AM(UTC)
Cataract2

United States

Just an update. The form is offsite at Fleet awaiting signatures. It has been a little over a week. I expect it to be back probably the end of this week or next.
Cataract2  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 5:58:30 AM(UTC)
Cataract2

United States

Originally Posted by: ROMAN Go to Quoted Post

It was approved. Signed the service agreement yesterday and am awaiting on personnel to send it back to HR so OCHR and be notified to send me a formal offer.
JDSIII  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2017 10:11:30 PM(UTC)
JDSIII

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Congrats!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed