Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

7 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PierogiForAll  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 29, 2017 1:06:48 PM(UTC)
PierogiForAll

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello! I applied to the current cycle as well. I initially applied last year and passed all three phases, but my application was discontinued during the hiring freeze and I received the critical skills email. Now that they have updated the list of critical skills, it looks like I should meet the criteria. Hopefully, things will go better this time around. Good luck to you!
App:21JUN16
PI:22JUL16(22JUL16)
PII:27JUL16(19SEP16)
PIII:15DEC16(20DEC16)
DIS:28DEC16
App II: 28AUG17
Apokolips  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 05, 2017 10:52:56 AM(UTC)
Apokolips

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I just applied. I failed the phase 2 of the SA process and have the year long wait to retest. I saw this was open and figured I would apply.

Does anyone know how to submit a new resume? My original resume from when I applied to the SA position is there and I have a lot of updates to make.
App- 06/16
PH I - 07/16
SPFT- 07/16
M&G - 08/16
Ranking - 11/16
PH II 01/17 - No GO
Geddy  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 4:06:23 PM(UTC)
Geddy

United States

I'm almost done with my application but don't see where I am supposed to upload my resume. In the Attachments section it clearly states that we are not to upload resumes there, but I can't find any other section that will allow me to upload anything. Anyone else come across this problem?
Apokolips  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:27:47 AM(UTC)
Apokolips

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Geddy Go to Quoted Post
I'm almost done with my application but don't see where I am supposed to upload my resume. In the Attachments section it clearly states that we are not to upload resumes there, but I can't find any other section that will allow me to upload anything. Anyone else come across this problem?

Same I am trying to upload an updated resume but do not see the option for it.
App- 06/16
PH I - 07/16
SPFT- 07/16
M&G - 08/16
Ranking - 11/16
PH II 01/17 - No GO
torched  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 12:36:17 PM(UTC)
torched

United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 47 post(s)
You guys copied and pasted resume into appropriate boxes right?

I did that then just added my resume as "OTHER." You don't have that option?
IA App: 4/29/16
P I: 6/19/16
P II: 6/26/16 (10/17/16)
P III: 3/22/17 (Fail)
IA App: 8/28/17
Geddy  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:01:30 PM(UTC)
Geddy

United States

Originally Posted by: torched Go to Quoted Post

I do have that option, but I don't think I copied all of my resume into the various boxes. I would have added the resume into the OTHER category under the attachments section, but I saw an instruction there that explicitly said not to upload resumes there. I thought maybe the function would appear after I submitted the application, but no such luck.
torched  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:06:10 PM(UTC)
torched

United States

I do have that option, but I don't think I copied all of my resume into the various boxes. I would have added the resume into the OTHER category under the attachments section, but I saw an instruction there that explicitly said not to upload resumes there. I thought maybe the function would appear after I submitted the application, but no such luck.

Hm, I think I recall reading something like that, but I ignored it. I probably interpreted that as meaning if you upload a resume here, it won't "count" because they use what's manually pasted into the boxes; I didn't take it to be more serious than that, as in, you are forbidden from attaching resumes or else your application will be discontinued. Nothing like that. I think it was more of a precautionary warning than an outright ban. Could be wrong though.
Geddy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:09:55 PM(UTC)
Geddy

United States

Hm, I think I recall reading something like that, but I ignored it. I probably interpreted that as meaning if you upload a resume here, it won't "count" because they use what's manually pasted into the boxes; I didn't take it to be more serious than that, as in, you are forbidden from attaching resumes or else your application will be discontinued. Nothing like that. I think it was more of a precautionary warning than an outright ban. Could be wrong though.

Yeah good point. I was confused because there is a separate Resume section so I thought that's what we're supposed to use, but there's no way to upload your resume to it.
torched  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:34:21 PM(UTC)
torched

United States

Ah, it's a bit confusing for sure. In the real world, you just submit your resume, but the default here is the "resume builder," which I guess makes sense because technically we're submitting applications, and under that application there is a section for work experience. Anyway, pretty sure you can't modify content after submitting, unfortunately; it'll probably say contact your POC or something. I'm sure someone will catch it and get back to you. If sections are completely blank it's obvious it was an error not actually someone is applying who literally has a blank resume.

In other news, for those interested, an SOS posting should be going up end of September.
thanks 2 users thanked torched for this useful post.
Geddy on 9/12/2017(UTC), Apokolips on 9/13/2017(UTC)
SecretSquirrel5  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 4:22:10 PM(UTC)
SecretSquirrel5

United States

Hi everyone, I am starting the honors internship next week at my local Field Office. I will be doing it until I graduate over a year from now. When I did my polygraph the agent told me my file had been flagged as a possible future agent. I was an Intel analyst for the Army for a number of years and was hoping to actually do that job instead. I guess my question is, has anyone been told what to expect as far as travelling as an analyst or what kind of lifestyle it is? I really am not interested in becoming an agent. Any info you guys have about the training and job itself would help me make some decisions. Thanks in advance.
torched  
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 16, 2017 2:31:39 AM(UTC)
torched

United States

As you probably know, there are several positions that require signing a Mobility Agreement. Specifically, SAs, IAs, and (more recently) SOSs must all sign that agreement stating that they're ready and willing to relocate pursuant to the needs of the FBI. And it is in that exact order. Agents are more likely to be relocated than analysts, and so on. That being said, I have heard of some agents who land at a large field office, and then remain there for their entire careers. It's not unheard of. Point being, yes, to some small extent that agreement is a formality (especially for junior SOSs who may never move), but nonetheless you should be mentally prepared to relocate if needed. That being said, I believe there's a clause stipulating that if you were moved to a new location, then you would be exempt from another move for something like two years. Finally, when people are moved, I believe it's more likely going to be TO one of those larger offices, or most likely to HQ. So at least you're (probably) not getting dumped in Alaska. But that could happen.

~~~

Anyone else excited for this SOS posting?
thanks 1 user thanked torched for this useful post.
SecretSquirrel5 on 9/16/2017(UTC)
SecretSquirrel5  
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 16, 2017 5:36:08 AM(UTC)
SecretSquirrel5

United States

Thanks torched. I'm not really concerned about relocating, just not wanting a job where I'm travelling from my home station frequently. Thank you for the info! I'm hoping I get a chance to ask a lot of questions during my internship as well.
marychristmas57  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 10:47:08 AM(UTC)
marychristmas57

United States

Hi everyone! I applied to the IA position last year, but the position was closed before I could finish all the IASP Phases, so here I am again! I also applied to the Collegiate Hiring Initiative the same day as my second IA app.

Does anyone know if there's some kind of preference shown/you hear back faster if you've already completed parts of the IASP? And when does the post close? Or is it continuous?

Good luck to everyone applying!

IA Talent Network: 4/21/16
App I: 4/28/16
Phase I invite: 2/17/17
Phase I: 2/23/17 (Pass 2/23/17)
Phase II: 2/25/17 (Pass 4/21/17)
Notified that job post closed: 7/20/17
App II: 9/2/17
torched  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:10:28 PM(UTC)
torched

United States

I first glanced at your timeline and thought it incredibly strange that you weren't invited to P1 until almost an entire year later, but then you said you're applying for the CHI as well, so that definitely explains it. (They don't want to invite someone through the phases and clear them for hire if they haven't completed the educational prerequisite yet.)

Now, I don't know about preference per se, but I think it's just more logical and efficient to proceed with applicants who are already in the process, rather than start fresh with people who haven't completed anything. Recall that the application specifically asked you how far into testing you got. Why else would they ask that, right?

That last part is a good question, because the posting doesn't state an official closing date, even though I remember it mentioning something about uploading documents before the closing date. (But there is none.) My guess is that it's open indefinitely, kind of like the SA application. Don't really know for how long it'll stay open though. If I remember correctly last year's posting was indefinite as well.

My biggest hope is that they actually increase the staffing levels for IAs so that more people can get classes, instead of its current rate of ~250 IAs per year, which I think is a joke.
watchfulpatience  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:26:48 PM(UTC)
watchfulpatience

United States

I'm in the same position as you marychristmas. I applied last year had my Phase II results in November, but I was stuck waiting for an interview date until they closed the position in Julyish. Hopefully, that will put us in the front for this time around. I applied for the Collegiate Hire, too because I'll be finishing my MS this Spring, so if the IA process doesn't finish, that might be an option. Thinking of doing SOS too when it opens.
marychristmas57  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:38:09 PM(UTC)
marychristmas57

United States

@torched Thanks for your input! I do hope they're able to take on more IA trainees too! From other posts I've been reading and my own timeline, it was looking like I wouldn't have any hope of starting until at least 2019. Fingers crossed for both of us!

@watchfulpatience Good luck with the rest of your MS! When I first applied 4/16 I was still doing my MS too and graduated this past January. My preference between IA and CHI is definitely IA, but like you, I'll gladly go for the CHI if IA doesn't work out. Best of luck!
torched  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:56:53 PM(UTC)
torched

United States

Since you both applied you obviously noticed the new 2018 critical skills, so I'll assume you each possess one or more. You also probably noticed that the CHI posting offers different "career paths," depending on education/experience, but, as someone who's internal, I'd say, conservatively, 70%+ of people recruited through the CHI receive offers for OST positions. Nothing wrong with that, just probably not the best fit for someone who actually has a critical skill (as OST positions top out at GS-8, so not really a career track anything in my opinion).

Anyway, my point is, I think the CHI is great for people who want to get in and then put in for other positions as they came up, that way they at least have their background done, but, unless someone is eligible for one of the real career paths (not OST), it isn't as great as a lot of people expect coming in. Sad, but in my experience true.

I really hope I'm wrong so that people can actually get career track positions early on, but that's precisely why I'd encourage everyone to apply to the upcoming SOS posting, as not only does that overlap decently with IA work, it also goes to 12, so it's definitely worth considering. (I of course don't know anyone's background or prior work experience, but I don't think GS-12 is anything to laugh at.)

thanks 1 user thanked torched for this useful post.
marychristmas57 on 9/20/2017(UTC)
torched  
#18 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2017 2:51:51 PM(UTC)
torched

United States

Wow, I genuinely thought the SOS posting was going to be open for all, like the SA and IA postings.

My apologies. It's up anyway if anyone's interested in glancing it over.
hyt576  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2017 7:39:19 AM(UTC)
hyt576

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Anybody have any movement of any kind here?
IASP
App: 04/16
PI: 05/16
PII: 05/16 (06/16)
PIII: 12/16 (12/16)
Dis: 12/16
App: 09/17
watchfulpatience  
#20 Posted : Thursday, October 26, 2017 8:21:13 AM(UTC)
watchfulpatience

United States

Nope. Nothing. My status hasn't changed on the website, and I haven't heard anything. I applied for the Collegiate Hiring Initiative too, and nothing with that either.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed