Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ShesAWannabeSA  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 5:31:09 AM(UTC)
ShesAWannabeSA

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I'm just curious of other's experiences with post medical clearance. I know there is potential for it to take a while (weeks or months) to be cleared. I know everyone's experiences are different and there is simply no way to estimate the exact time, just trying to pass time by trying to figure it out haha :) i know that my file is with HQ and awaiting review.
App: 1/2017
P1: 2/2017
M&G: 3/2017
P2/PFT: 5/2017
PSI/Poly: 6/2017
Med Start: 08/2017
Adjudication: 9/2017
AirCobra  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:01:25 AM(UTC)
AirCobra

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ShesAWannabeSA Go to Quoted Post
I'm just curious of other's experiences with post medical clearance. I know there is potential for it to take a while (weeks or months) to be cleared. I know everyone's experiences are different and there is simply no way to estimate the exact time, just trying to pass time by trying to figure it out haha :) i know that my file is with HQ and awaiting review.

It was about 2 weeks from when I submitted my responses to their follow up questions to being told that I was medically cleared. Hope that helps!
thanks 1 user thanked AirCobra for this useful post.
ShesAWannabeSA on 9/14/2017(UTC)
TheWaitingGame  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:52:54 AM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I sent documents they requested for my medical review a month ago and I have not heard back. I emailed earlier this week asking if they needed anything else or if I was cleared for medical and I have not heard back.
Security Started 6/2017
References Contacted 8/2017
Medically Cleared 10/2017
StuckInTheAbyss  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 7:56:09 AM(UTC)
StuckInTheAbyss

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
A few days after my evaluation I received a request for additional information and a personal statement related to some things I put in my forms. I sent those in a week after the evaluation. I didn't hear anything for about two months. I reached out to my AC and asked for status of my BI and how the medical went. That's when they told me I passed it.

As the BI is concerned I would say regularly keep in touch with the AC, maybe once a month. Don't be annoying or over-bearing, but just letting them know you're checking in. I was going about 2-3 months between f/u's. Then out of the blue they called me needing additional information on some things I disclosed on the SF-86. As the AC put it, she had sent my package to the security division waiting on a response and the security division thought my package was with the field office completing my investigation. So it was just sitting there not getting touched for a few weeks. The AC told me since I hadn't been reaching out about a status very often I kind of got overlooked and they weren't doing any follow-up on their end. So since then, I've made it a point to shoot them an email every 3-4 weeks.
Applied-8/14
P1-9/14
M/G-12/14
P2-2/15 (Fail)
Re-apply-5/16
M&G#2-6/16
PH2 #2-11/16
BI Initiated-11/16
PSI/Poly/Med-12/16
thanks 1 user thanked StuckInTheAbyss for this useful post.
ShesAWannabeSA on 9/14/2017(UTC)
TheWaitingGame  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:12:50 AM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

Originally Posted by: StuckInTheAbyss Go to Quoted Post
A few days after my evaluation I received a request for additional information and a personal statement related to some things I put in my forms. I sent those in a week after the evaluation. I didn't hear anything for about two months. I reached out to my AC and asked for status of my BI and how the medical went. That's when they told me I passed it.

As the BI is concerned I would say regularly keep in touch with the AC, maybe once a month. Don't be annoying or over-bearing, but just letting them know you're checking in. I was going about 2-3 months between f/u's. Then out of the blue they called me needing additional information on some things I disclosed on the SF-86. As the AC put it, she had sent my package to the security division waiting on a response and the security division thought my package was with the field office completing my investigation. So it was just sitting there not getting touched for a few weeks. The AC told me since I hadn't been reaching out about a status very often I kind of got overlooked and they weren't doing any follow-up on their end. So since then, I've made it a point to shoot them an email every 3-4 weeks.

I asked my AC a question about the BI and she said they do not handle that part of the selection process so they have no updates.

My worry is that I fall into that category of people who just get forgotten about. I see your BI is coming up on a year, that must be hard.
Security Started 6/2017
Annino  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:33:45 AM(UTC)
Annino

Was thanked: 111 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TheWaitingGame Go to Quoted Post

I asked my AC a question about the BI and she said they do not handle that part of the selection process so they have no updates.

My worry is that I fall into that category of people who just get forgotten about. I see your BI is coming up on a year, that must be hard.

I flat out told my AC I think I was forgotten about and that I was coming up on a year blah blah. He basically said I have not been forgotten about and sometimes it takes this long. Not the answer I was looking for...
TheWaitingGame  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:48:12 AM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

Does anyone ever just not get through background? I can't imagine the bureau spending as much time and money as they do to just string someone along for such long periods.

Any percentage of people who fail background?

Any percentage of people who pass background however do not get offered a job for suitability?
Security Started 6/2017
Annino  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:49:50 AM(UTC)
Annino

Does anyone ever just not get through background? I can't imagine the bureau spending as much time and money as they do to just string someone along for such long periods.

Any percentage of people who fail background?

Any percentage of people who pass background however do not get offered a job for suitability?

Really not sure about this one. I think at a certain point, they'll just mail you a letter, rather than keep you stringing along. My AC said that HQ tracks all open cases so you would have to think they track the longest open ones.
ShesAWannabeSA  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:43:14 AM(UTC)
ShesAWannabeSA

United States

Interesting...did they say when you passed it? I get that it took 2 months for you to hear back and that was only because you contacted them. But I'd be interested to know if you passed on say, week 3, and they just didn't tell you.

Fortunately, I keep in touch with my AC on a regular basis. I'm hoping she will tell me as soon as something comes through.

AnonSAApp...I really hope that you're not being overlooked and that your AC/office is being diligent in processing your file. I truly hate it for you, man. I cannot imagine how frustrated I would be at your point. I really, REALLY, hope you get into January.

Annino  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 10:49:53 AM(UTC)
Annino

Interesting...did they say when you passed it? I get that it took 2 months for you to hear back and that was only because you contacted them. But I'd be interested to know if you passed on say, week 3, and they just didn't tell you.

Fortunately, I keep in touch with my AC on a regular basis. I'm hoping she will tell me as soon as something comes through.

AnonSAApp...I really hope that you're not being overlooked and that your AC/office is being diligent in processing your file. I truly hate it for you, man. I cannot imagine how frustrated I would be at your point. I really, REALLY, hope you get into January.

I appreciate it! It is what it is at this point. Did some thinking after my other post in the other forum. I'm going to withdraw if I don't make it into the January class and that's OKAY. Perfectly settled with the decision now. That was my hurdle before. Best of luck to each and every one of you!

Next class starts this Sunday so typically we should be seeing processing dates change before the end of the month.
StuckInTheAbyss  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 11:15:14 AM(UTC)
StuckInTheAbyss

Originally Posted by: AnonSAApp Go to Quoted Post

I appreciate it! It is what it is at this point. Did some thinking after my other post in the other forum. I'm going to withdraw if I don't make it into the January class and that's OKAY. Perfectly settled with the decision now. That was my hurdle before. Best of luck to each and every one of you!

Next class starts this Sunday so typically we should be seeing processing dates change before the end of the month.

Absolutely true. I didn't hear for a few months but who knows when I actually passed. I saw that my credit was pulled in mid-late December. My assumption is they wouldn't continue with the expense of a BI if someone doesn't even pass the medical. So, maybe they had cleared me before then. Who, knows-- the joy of speculating and trying to rationalize the process.

Anon- That's a tough post to read. I know it's been an emotional roller coaster. I'm pulling for you and hope you hear good news first thing Monday morning.
Applied-8/14
P1-9/14
M/G-12/14
P2-2/15 (Fail)
Re-apply-5/16
M&G#2-6/16
PH2 #2-11/16
BI Initiated-11/16
PSI/Poly/Med-12/16
TheWaitingGame  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 11:32:27 AM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

Absolutely true. I didn't hear for a few months but who knows when I actually passed. I saw that my credit was pulled in mid-late December. My assumption is they wouldn't continue with the expense of a BI if someone doesn't even pass the medical. So, maybe they had cleared me before then. Who, knows-- the joy of speculating and trying to rationalize the process.

Anon- That's a tough post to read. I know it's been an emotional roller coaster. I'm pulling for you and hope you hear good news first thing Monday morning.

I use Experian to monitor my credit and there is no inquiry from the FBI yet. Did they run your credit before or after they started talking to your contacts? I would imagine they would do that first.

Security Started 6/2017
Annino  
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 11:33:43 AM(UTC)
Annino

My bosses were interviewed in December, which was also the same month as my medical. I received Medical follow up in January and submitted it that same week. I was never told if I passed medical, but I had additional interviews completed in April so they were definitely still moving.
TheWaitingGame  
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 11:44:15 AM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

AnonSAApp did the same investigator do all your interviews?

I had all but 2 references contacted but the investigator was not given the others. He said he was given only the ones he contacted. This was over a month ago and that investigator said he has turned in his full report.
Security Started 6/2017
StuckInTheAbyss  
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:00:06 PM(UTC)
StuckInTheAbyss

I use Experian to monitor my credit and there is no inquiry from the FBI yet. Did they run your credit before or after they started talking to your contacts? I would imagine they would do that first.

Yes. My credit was pulled December 30 and my references were contacted at the end of January.
Applied-8/14
P1-9/14
M/G-12/14
P2-2/15 (Fail)
Re-apply-5/16
M&G#2-6/16
PH2 #2-11/16
BI Initiated-11/16
PSI/Poly/Med-12/16
Annino  
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:35:11 PM(UTC)
Annino

AnonSAApp did the same investigator do all your interviews?

I had all but 2 references contacted but the investigator was not given the others. He said he was given only the ones he contacted. This was over a month ago and that investigator said he has turned in his full report.

So the way it works is HQ decides who gets interviewed and they dish out the leads to investigators in the field in no particular order or hurry. I had two investigators interview all of my employers and 3-4 personal references all in December. They said they had to turn in their reports by the end of the year. Then I didn't hear anything until one of my other references called me in April and told me she was contacted and interviewed by an investigator. Then a week later, another business associate was interviewed.

So as you can see, it was all pretty sporadic.

Edit: 4 different investigators touched my file. 15 people interviewed. Mind you, I've had 3-4 jobs my entire life (2 of which are professional), live with my parents, and took 3 trips to Europe for vacation. 1 year later....

Edited by user Thursday, September 14, 2017 12:36:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TheWaitingGame  
#17 Posted : Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:08:21 PM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

So the way it works is HQ decides who gets interviewed and they dish out the leads to investigators in the field in no particular order or hurry. I had two investigators interview all of my employers and 3-4 personal references all in December. They said they had to turn in their reports by the end of the year. Then I didn't hear anything until one of my other references called me in April and told me she was contacted and interviewed by an investigator. Then a week later, another business associate was interviewed.

So as you can see, it was all pretty sporadic.

Edit: 4 different investigators touched my file. 15 people interviewed. Mind you, I've had 3-4 jobs my entire life (2 of which are professional), live with my parents, and took 3 trips to Europe for vacation. 1 year later....

Interesting. I had 1 investigator do my work, college, neighbors and all but 2 of my references.

I've worked at my same job for over 10 years so I am not sure how far back they will go when my other job was almost 15 years ago and it's on my resume.

I also took long extended trips to Europe but 10 years ago, hope that doesn't hold me up.

Edited by user Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:09:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Security Started 6/2017
emaichbe03  
#18 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 4:01:04 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 98 post(s)
i had a PFT yesterday and i overheard the agents talking about the background folks. it sounds like the background folks (BICS?) operate semi-autonomously and may only answer to HQ. it sounded like even the agents had some frustrations in trying to get straight answers or figure out the rhyme or reason to what BICS is doing. they may have to work through HQ as a middle-man and that will always slow things up.

hardly any consolation, but perhaps it's worth knowing that the AC's hands are tied as well.

also, i may be completely wrong since i only overheard...
ShesAWannabeSA  
#19 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 4:46:41 AM(UTC)
ShesAWannabeSA

United States

Originally Posted by: emaichbe03 Go to Quoted Post
i had a PFT yesterday and i overheard the agents talking about the background folks. it sounds like the background folks (BICS?) operate semi-autonomously and may only answer to HQ. it sounded like even the agents had some frustrations in trying to get straight answers or figure out the rhyme or reason to what BICS is doing. they may have to work through HQ as a middle-man and that will always slow things up.

hardly any consolation, but perhaps it's worth knowing that the AC's hands are tied as well.

How was your PT test? Did you even take it? I hope you did and that you were injury free!
TheWaitingGame  
#20 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 6:26:27 AM(UTC)
TheWaitingGame

United States

Originally Posted by: emaichbe03 Go to Quoted Post

How did your PFT go?

The investigator I had was a retired agent who gets hired by HQ and gets and sends his files directly to HQ. So what you say makes perfect sense. Since it is not the AC or the local office handling the background there may just be 1 or 2 people at HQ overseeing all applicants for SA and IA during the background which can cause delays.
Security Started 6/2017
Rss Feed  Atom Feed