Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Interior

The U.S. Department of the Interior protects America’s natural resources and heritage, honors our cultures and tribal communities and supplies the energy to power our future.

The agency employs about 70,000 people in approximately 2,400 locations with offices across the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
0018 Hopeful  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 24, 2017 10:51:42 AM(UTC)
0018 Hopeful

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Kind of longing for more remote and solitude kind of life. I was a police officer in Barrow Alaska years ago, and grew up remote in the Northern Rockies.

I see interior jobs all the time in remote places in the West.

Do people actually get hired for these or are they just posted, every time I apply (even for jobs in my series) I usually get referred but never get an interview. I think I have had one interview and one job offer with Interior in 5 years of apply for jobs. I work for Defense, in a series that exist in interior.

I have a bachelors in wildlife management from an online university. I never apply for wildlife management jobs in interior as I don't want to take a pay cut based on experience down to GS-7 or GS-9. Maybe as an in-agency hire from interior safety it would be different.

I am starting a Wildlife Management masters program in the spring. My series is GS-0018 Occupational Safety and Health. I'd be happy to stay safety and eventually work in a natural resources fashion.

Is it outrageous to expect to start as a GS-11 or GS-12 when I have been that pay grade in Safety with Defense?

Also the one time I was offered a job, they wouldn't accept my tenure ( I am a cat-1 fully tenured employee) so I bailed. I later found out this is illegal via OPM, but that Interior doesn't like to follow the rules, and many tenured folks have been illegally fired by Interior and sued and won. But I don't want that kind of drama in my life.
cyberfx1024  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 05, 2017 6:44:20 PM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 0018 Hopeful Go to Quoted Post
Kind of longing for more remote and solitude kind of life. I was a police officer in Barrow Alaska years ago, and grew up remote in the Northern Rockies.

I see interior jobs all the time in remote places in the West.

Do people actually get hired for these or are they just posted, every time I apply (even for jobs in my series) I usually get referred but never get an interview. I think I have had one interview and one job offer with Interior in 5 years of apply for jobs. I work for Defense, in a series that exist in interior.

I have a bachelors in wildlife management from an online university. I never apply for wildlife management jobs in interior as I don't want to take a pay cut based on experience down to GS-7 or GS-9. Maybe as an in-agency hire from interior safety it would be different.

I am starting a Wildlife Management masters program in the spring. My series is GS-0018 Occupational Safety and Health. I'd be happy to stay safety and eventually work in a natural resources fashion.

Is it outrageous to expect to start as a GS-11 or GS-12 when I have been that pay grade in Safety with Defense?

Also the one time I was offered a job, they wouldn't accept my tenure ( I am a cat-1 fully tenured employee) so I bailed. I later found out this is illegal via OPM, but that Interior doesn't like to follow the rules, and many tenured folks have been illegally fired by Interior and sued and won. But I don't want that kind of drama in my life.

I have had an interview for a Electronic Technician for a couple of the National Forests in the west but that's it, I am currently wasting away here with the USGS under the same 0856 Electronic Technician job.

If you feel like moving so strongly to a more remote station then try and transfer if your still a GS employee. If not then yes, I would take a lower starting point if it means that I would ultimately be happier.

You are right from all of what I have seen with the USGS is that a fair number of supervisors don't like to play by the rules and get pissed when they are caught. This is just one reason why I am looking to move to a different job under new management, not to mention there is NO upward development where I am at at all. We are expected to do stuff that is well above our pay grade(GS-11) but yet we are not compensated for it at all.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed