Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Reemployed Annuitants

Generally speaking, the treatment of a retiree's annuity and pay upon reemployment in the Federal Government depends upon whether he or she retired on the basis of a regular, involuntary, or disability retirement. Potential benefits that may be earned as a result of the reemployment service depend primarily on the length of such service.

Some details on Reemployed Annuitants may be found in a PDF file at OPM's Web Site by clicking here.

If you have questions regarding how this can affect you, feel free to post the quesitons here. Or perhaps you have been through this process before and can offer some helpful suggestions...please share.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
crossbow  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 12:03:07 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I am a retired GS civilian receiving an annuity... I am also a 10-point veteran (over 30% service-connected disability).

I was recently advised by a local HR office that as a 10-point veteran I can APPLY for any positions for which I am qualified; HOWEVER, as I am a retired GS employee I can only be HIRED for positions that allow “Reemployed Annuitants”. It seems contradictory that I can apply for any job, but can only be hired for one that allows "Reemployed Annuitants". I was also advised that an Annuitant eligibility and Reinstatement eligibility are the same. I am just trying to determine which of the eligibility/appointment categories I fit into.

Anyone else been given similar information --- or had a different experience?

Also, does being military spouse no longer apply when you are a GS retiree?

"There is no present like the time."
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 4:15:13 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 842 time(s) in 665 post(s)
Originally Posted by: crossbow Go to Quoted Post

I am a retired GS civilian receiving an annuity... I am also a 10-point veteran (over 30% service-connected disability).

I was recently advised by a local HR office that as a 10-point veteran I can APPLY for any positions for which I am qualified; HOWEVER, as I am a retired GS employee I can only be HIRED for positions that allow “Reemployed Annuitants”. It seems contradictory that I can apply for any job, but can only be hired for one that allows "Reemployed Annuitants". I was also advised that an Annuitant eligibility and Reinstatement eligibility are the same. I am just trying to determine which of the eligibility/appointment categories I fit into.

Anyone else been given similar information --- or had a different experience?

Also, does being military spouse no longer apply when you are a GS retiree?
They pretty much gave you the facts. Once you retire, as a retiree once you get selected, and they see the SF50 and discover you are a retiree, you can ONLY be considered a re-employed annuitant. You can be re-instated..but only as a re-employed annuitant. And so on.

Any HR types want to weigh in???

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
crossbow on 10/31/2017(UTC)
HR Bubba  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2017 10:37:09 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 210 time(s) in 167 post(s)
Originally Posted by: crossbow Go to Quoted Post

HOWEVER, as I am a retired GS employee I can only be HIRED for positions that allow “Reemployed Annuitants”.
You can apply to announcements using any authority for which you are eligible (e.g., VEOA, VRA, Mil spouse, etc.), BUT once you identify that you are a retired federal employee the authority that should be used is Reinstatement Eligiblity. Different agencies may have different internal policies that govern how/when/if an agency can reinstate a reemployed annuitant, so I don't think you will get a one size fits all answer. Some agencies won't have issue with doing it, others will have wickets that the hiring organization must jump through before it is authorized. Please DO NOT think that if you just don't tell them you are a reemployed annuitant you can beat the system, it will get caught eventually and can have SIGNIFICANT repercussions (e.g., debt to govt, issues with health benefits, etc.).

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
crossbow on 10/31/2017(UTC)
crossbow  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2017 4:03:08 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the great feedback...!!! I was really curious about this as my spouse is considering a job that would require relocation, so I am considering going back to work if we do move. But, is it possible to search USAJOBS for "Reemployed Annuitant" positions --- or are those jobs advertised as 'Former' or 'Reinstatement'?

Edited by user Wednesday, November 01, 2017 1:22:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HR Bubba  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 02, 2017 3:08:41 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 210 time(s) in 167 post(s)
My agency does not recruit using "reemployed annuitant" we use "reinstatement eligible" since this is the authority we would use to bring you back into the federal service, I cannot speak for other agencies. You can also always apply to any announcements open to all US citizens.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
crossbow on 11/3/2017(UTC)
crossbow  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 03, 2017 8:30:26 AM(UTC)

Thank you for confirming my suspicions that annuitants fall under the "Reinstatement" hiring eligibility.

(Thats the reason my search efforts for "Annuitant" positions continuously came up dry! Must have another chat with that local HR rep!)

Rss Feed  Atom Feed