Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Raydeohed_12  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2017 3:02:20 PM(UTC)
Raydeohed_12

Groups: Registered

I recently had my annual review and received a performance review of outstanding. I requested a performance award of QSI. I have never received a QSI before and have been in m current position 1 year. I am currently a GS 11-2 and my supervisor said they would have to get permission from higher ups. They came back and said they are only offering cash awards or time off awards, which both are of less monetary value and not as valuable as a QSI (in my opinion).

My question is shouldn't I be able to request the QSI as long as I meet the OPM requirements (which I do) ? Is this up to the discretion of my unit's leadership?
HR Bubba  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 3, 2017 2:38:00 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 193 post(s)
Sorry, but employees cannot dictate what award (if any) they are going to receive. You can request whatever you want, but ultimately it is up to your boss' discretion.
computerscott2  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 3, 2017 3:13:25 AM(UTC)
computerscott2

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 32 post(s)
It is your supervisor who puts you in for the award not the other way around. Just because you got an outstanding does not mean you automatically get a QSI; however some places you can only get a QSI if you had an outstanding rating on your performance appraisal.
ex-military  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 3, 2017 3:56:41 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 102 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Raydeohed_12 Go to Quoted Post
I recently had my annual review and received a performance review of outstanding. I requested a performance award of QSI. I have never received a QSI before and have been in m current position 1 year. I am currently a GS 11-2 and my supervisor said they would have to get permission from higher ups. They came back and said they are only offering cash awards or time off awards, which both are of less monetary value and not as valuable as a QSI (in my opinion).

My question is shouldn't I be able to request the QSI as long as I meet the OPM requirements (which I do) ? Is this up to the discretion of my unit's leadership?

I agree with you that QSIs are far more valuable than TOA or cash awards, but you dont get to dictate what type of award you receive. Your supervisor might ask you if you want Award X or Award Y, but your choices are then limited to those. You dont get to come back and say " I want Award Z!".
Rss Feed  Atom Feed