Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WVU Graduate  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 12:27:54 PM(UTC)
WVU Graduate

Groups: Registered
United States

having a 2.0 GPA really won't help would it? if your applying to any FBI field of work? any other ways... ASAP need helpjavascript:__doPostBack('forum$ctl03$PostReply','')
ShesAWannabeSA  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:33:07 AM(UTC)
ShesAWannabeSA

United States

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I think we can all agree that a 2.0 GPA doesn't look good...but it doesn't disqualify you from applying. If you have a bachelors degree and meet the other requirements for application, you are technically eligible. Keep in mind that this process in incredibly competitive, your GPA alone won't stack up well next to other applicants. However, if you have other special skills that the Bu is looking for, maybe that could help overshadow the GPA. If you want to apply, then apply. If your GPA turns out to be a big issue, maybe consider getting an advanced degree and bust your ass to get a HIGH GPA. Then reapply later.
App: 1/2017
P1: 2/2017
M&G: 3/2017
P2/PFT: 5/2017
PSI/Poly: 6/2017
Med Start: 08/2017
Adjudication: 9/2017
thanks 1 user thanked ShesAWannabeSA for this useful post.
WVU Graduate on 11/14/2017(UTC)
WVU Graduate  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 8:57:50 AM(UTC)
WVU Graduate

United States

What would I need to build my resume beside going back to school? what experience would you think that would look good for a spacial agent job? (I just enlist in the national guard not to long ago)
emaichbe03  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:12:55 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
without knowing anything about you it's pretty tough to say what would help you specifically. the FBI has certain career tracks they hire from, including Accounting/Finance, Military/LEO, STEM, Foreign Language, Education, and Legal. Usually each would require you to have 3-5 years experience, more like 5+ to be competitive, evidencing progression in the respective job/role. they are also not limited to those paths, but that's a good place to start at least.

i would say take a step back and read everything on the fbijobs.gov website, including that handy-dandy packet i linked you in the other thread. you're kinda coming in here hot with random questions that could be easily researched on the aforementioned website. i hate to be the person saying "look it up" because we're about helping here, but you gotta help us help you.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:13:48 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 691 time(s) in 527 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WVU Graduate Go to Quoted Post
What would I need to build my resume beside going back to school? what experience would you think that would look good for a spacial agent job? (I just enlist in the national guard not to long ago)
What is your MOS (include the title as not everyone speaks Army)? CID Agent would help. Linguist (depending on the language) may help. Any Intel position may help. Graduate degree wouldn't hurt.

Also, what was your undergrad degree in? A 2.0 in Astrophysics at MIT or CalTech is different than an English degree at Florida State. And so on.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
StuckInTheAbyss  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:26:42 AM(UTC)
StuckInTheAbyss

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
In my opinion, and I think this is mentioned on the FBIjobs website, there is no one “go-to” background that guarantees you get in. The website lists many areas that are “hot” recruiting backgrounds (STEM for instance), but just because you have one of those backgrounds doesn’t mean they’ll hire you, or even that you will move far in the process. Instead, I would work hard on getting experience that you can point to which shows how you can demonstrate the FBI’s core competencies (also identified on the website). They are looking for people that have certain personality characteristics. They accept people with highly advanced degrees like sciences, law, technology, and also those that do not have those kind of degrees. I think I read an article that there currently is a former NFL player at Q.

I would say find a degree program that excites you and work to obtaining the degree. While doing that keep working and gaining experience. I think good keys are your ability to show leadership, that you are good at making decisions, and you are good at dealing with people. They are looking for people that show progression and advancement in their field.

This is all my impression from looking into it prior to submitting my application.

Good luck.
Applied-8/14
P1-9/14
M/G-12/14
P2-2/15 (Fail)
Re-apply-5/16
M&G#2-6/16
PH2 #2-11/16
BI Initiated-11/16
PSI/Poly/Med-12/16
thanks 1 user thanked StuckInTheAbyss for this useful post.
WVU Graduate  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 10:48:46 AM(UTC)
WVU Graduate

United States

Im sorry, I just graduated with a criminology degree. I don't have any law enforcement experience but Im looking forward to getting some. I did apply to the National Guard. The MOS looking into is (MP) I was told that was one of the steps into getting in the CID program. Also looking for schools that I could go to with (2.0) GPA that I have, that could accept me. On the side Im looking at (police jobs/ Academy) to build experience and Security Clearance. I know it sounds like want to do all these things at once. Im just looking for help on where to start with the best chance of working with the FBI.
emaichbe03  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 12:15:18 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
i'd say work for a few years and do really well at your job, meaning promotions, pay increase, responsibility increase, positive reviews and rankings. after that, consider graduate school, part or full-time. all fed LEO jobs i've applied to give you more points for graduate courses and degrees exceeding 1 year.

you can use grad school as evidence of improving GPA. also, the further you space yourself from undergrad and a 2.0 GPA, the less a 2.0 GPA is relevant, as compared to positive factors like job experience and results.

contact your local recruiter if you can get a hold of him/her. they can be a source of guidance.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
NewEnglandFan  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 6:07:05 PM(UTC)
NewEnglandFan

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
WVU

I am not sure if this will help but here it is....I went to college before i joined the Navy....I was a horrible student, completely unfulfilled, and ended up failing out because I simply stopped going to class (Yes I was a complete moron). Years later, i finished my Masters Degree from George Washington with a 3.9 GPA and have been accepted into a few other Masters Degrees programs to include Johns Hopkins. Moral is: if there is a will there is a way, do not let your past define you and just go for it.
makingadifference  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:08:03 PM(UTC)
makingadifference

United States

They definitely notice your GPA. When I was at my M&G and an agent was going over my resume. One of the things she noticed was my GPA, she’s said it was high and that she was impressed. That being said a 2.0 GPA doesn’t mean you’re out of the running.

The FBI looks for a wide variety of backgrounds when it comes to people. Military experience is always good since you’re thinking about the National Guard. Personally, I would also try to get a job in law enforcement since your degree is criminology and build some experience there. After you get some experience go ahead and apply. You can also look at ways to get rid of a 2.0 GPA. You could get another bachelor’s or even go on for graduate school.
Apokolips  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:16:32 AM(UTC)
Apokolips

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
From my experience at least the GPA isn't the biggest thing they are looking for. My undergrad GPA was a 2.5 and talking to candidates at my meet and greet who all had 3.7 and above (so they said at least) I never though I would make anywhere. However I made it to phase 2. I just straight up asked my applicant coordinator if my GPA would drag me down he said no he was impressed with my background and work experiences. He explained to me the reason they require the full time work experience is so that they know the applicants have actual life experience that would benefit the FBI. So my advice is to really work on getting strong work experiences that match up to the FBI values. The National Guard experiences may help just excel at whatever you are doing. Leadership positions are key.
App- 06/16
PH I - 07/16
SPFT- 07/16
M&G - 08/16
Ranking - 11/16
PH II 01/17 - No GO
Rss Feed  Atom Feed