Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Justice

Voted one of the “Best Places to Work in the Federal Government‚ in 2010, the Department of Justice and its 124,870 employees help lead the nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. 
14 Pages«<121314
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fed Investigator  
#261 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 4:24:30 PM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 116 post(s)
What do your coworkers do during their backgrounds?

What did your Investigator refuse to provide that prevented him from accessing your facility?

We're not allowed to copy our creds but can provide any number of other IDs.

I've been in all sorts of federal locations not open to the public, including IRS and DEA, really odd this couldn't be resolved.

Why on earth would you just tell them to stop your investigation without trying to figure out a work around?

Don't worry though, it is no loss to DEA, it's just part of the process!

Edited by user Monday, November 19, 2018 4:25:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LINY22  
#262 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 5:24:57 PM(UTC)
LINY22

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Fed Investigator Go to Quoted Post
What do your coworkers do during their backgrounds?

What did your Investigator refuse to provide that prevented him from accessing your facility?

We're not allowed to copy our creds but can provide any number of other IDs.

I've been in all sorts of federal locations not open to the public, including IRS and DEA, really odd this couldn't be resolved.

Why on earth would you just tell them to stop your investigation without trying to figure out a work around?

Don't worry though, it is no loss to DEA, it's just part of the process!

My investigator never met with my manager or coworker either. He wanted to get all three done at the same visit.

My investigator refused to provide his credentials, which is what my agency was requesting. I guess my IRS was making sure he wasn't a Joe Shmoe foreign spy trying to get information from the IRS I guess. I don't know. Why is it that you cannot provide another federal agency your credentials stating that you're a background investigator with your agency?

What did you provide to the IRS when you visited in order to get clearance? *Note* Some IRS offices are open to the public, mine is not.

I did try to figure out a work around before ending it. I asked if I could meet outside of my agency but he was pushing me to have it at the IRS, which I could not do without approval from my agency, which required he provide his credentials. He was refusing to meet elsewhere.

Out of curiosity what would an investigator do if I was furloughed, unemployed or didn't already work for a federal government agency with a room available for such an interview, because it was my understanding the room needs to meet special requirements as well.

And, in my eyes, it is a loss to the DEA. I know they will still get their 50 students in the class and more in future classes to come. But I know I am a great employee to have. CBP even had me as a priority case based on my education background. Now I'm signed up to go to CBP, who was my second choice after the DEA. CBP is still doing my background investigation but I was given my interim back in August. I EOD in February. I very well may reapply for the DEA in March but even then I won't be able to start with the DEA until 2020.
Fed Investigator  
#263 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 6:54:07 PM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

I've provided my passport, drivers license, cac card. It's against the law to copy federal credentials, so we are instructed under no circumstances to copy them. We can present them to whomever wants to see them but we must maintain control of them at all times.

Like gear said, if your employment location wasnt available, then you could have been interviewed almost anywhere else. If a private space is not available, then you can go to the local office though it will most likely be a drive.

Seems like you had a bad or perhaps inexperienced investigator. I do wonder though what your fellow coworkers do at IRS for their backgrounds?

LINY22  
#264 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 7:38:03 PM(UTC)
LINY22

United States

I've provided my passport, drivers license, cac card. It's against the law to copy federal credentials, so we are instructed under no circumstances to copy them. We can present them to whomever wants to see them but we must maintain control of them at all times.

Like gear said, if your employment location wasnt available, then you could have been interviewed almost anywhere else. If a private space is not available, then you can go to the local office though it will most likely be a drive.

Seems like you had a bad or perhaps inexperienced investigator. I do wonder though what your fellow coworkers do at IRS for their backgrounds?

I don't know. Maybe there was a miscommunication between the two agencies and myself about what was required. He did offer to provide the documents at time of arrival, but my security needed like 3 days beforehand to approve him.

I tried to get him to interview me elsewhere and he would not agree. So, in my mind he is a jerk and a bad investigator. He claimed to have done it for many years without any issue. Well, I guess there is a first time for everything. I'm assuming he was driving from somewhat far to meet with me and wanted to get all three done on the same meeting and figured meeting at the IRS was his only option. Too bad GearUp or yourself couldn't be my background investigator. It would've been a better turn out for me.

At the IRS, we only needed a basic Public Trust clearance. We didn't have to meet with a background investigator, not even meet with the IRS for an interview. Kind of scary, isn't it? It's basically you apply, take an online test or two and you're hired and starting orientation all within a few short months time.
Fed Investigator  
#265 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 5:36:19 AM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

I hate to hear stories like yours. Makes us all look bad and OPM doesn't need any help in looking bad.
LINY22  
#266 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:33:09 PM(UTC)
LINY22

United States

I hate to hear stories like yours. Makes us all look bad and OPM doesn't need any help in looking bad.

I hate telling stories like mine. Hahaha. I personally blame the investigator for not doing all he could do get the interview needed where it was possible for me to do so. I also blame myself for not looking for advice on this forum before I canceled my application. I don't blame OPM, but I understand where you're coming from. I don't know why he was being such a hard headed jerk. I just tell myself he was envious of the great opportunity I had for me and he knew that if he met with me there would be no reason to fail me, so he took matters into his own hands. In reality maybe he was having a rough month or owes the IRS. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out for me but I guess everything happens for a reason. I'm just glad to be getting out of the IRS. Lol.
GearUp  
#267 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 7:17:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 422 time(s) in 149 post(s)
I blame OPM for either not properly training or not supervising their investigator. He should have pursued other options in order to get your interview done. He was just lazy.
luckydevil  
#268 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 7:26:59 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Liny22 that is ridiculous what happened. I am meeting my BI at a library. My previous TS clearance I also met them at one. Bummed for you that happened!
LINY22  
#269 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:19:11 AM(UTC)
LINY22

United States

Originally Posted by: GearUp Go to Quoted Post
I blame OPM for either not properly training or not supervising their investigator. He should have pursued other options in order to get your interview done. He was just lazy.

That is unfortunately true. He made no effort to get my interview done. I just keep wishing I came to this forum sooner asking for help with the situation.
luckydevil  
#270 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2018 8:33:02 PM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Met with my BI finally. They said my references were contacted. They just had to check with my landlord/neighbors and needed a contact for my prior federal job because all my sups retired lol. They hoped to get that done this week. So now I am in the boat with the rest of you waiting to clear.
thanks 2 users thanked luckydevil for this useful post.
Lunchmoney on 12/1/2018(UTC), CaitieMFT on 12/3/2018(UTC)
Lunchmoney  
#271 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2018 9:38:43 PM(UTC)
Lunchmoney

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: luckydevil Go to Quoted Post
Met with my BI finally. They said my references were contacted. They just had to check with my landlord/neighbors and needed a contact for my prior federal job because all my sups retired lol. They hoped to get that done this week. So now I am in the boat with the rest of you waiting to clear.

Right on luckydevil!
Still waiting to meet with my BI, but feeling like it won’t be too much longer ! ... hopefully. Lol
luckydevil  
#272 Posted : Saturday, December 01, 2018 10:05:35 PM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Originally Posted by: Lunchmoney Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: luckydevil Go to Quoted Post

Right on luckydevil!
Still waiting to meet with my BI, but feeling like it won’t be too much longer ! ... hopefully. Lol

Hopefully in next few weeks before the holidays! You seemed on a similar timeline to me.
CaitieMFT  
#273 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2018 7:47:20 AM(UTC)
CaitieMFT

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Just got word from HR that I am not on the list for January, and that she’s thinking that I’ll maybe make the upcoming April class. She said that she’s still not heard anything back from my BI, and that she’s just waiting on word that my clearance is granted. Not sure why the interim clearance wasn’t an option, but oh well.

Hopefully this means I’ll be seeing some of you then?

Edited by user Monday, December 03, 2018 7:48:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

luckydevil  
#274 Posted : Monday, December 03, 2018 7:51:02 AM(UTC)
luckydevil

United States

Originally Posted by: CaitieMFT Go to Quoted Post
Just got word from HR that I am not on the list for January, and that she’s thinking that I’ll maybe make the upcoming April class. She said that she’s still not heard anything back from my BI, and that she’s just waiting on word that my clearance is granted. Not sure why the interim clearance wasn’t an option, but oh well.

Hopefully this means I’ll be seeing some of you then?

Hoping I make the April class too! Not sure if I am getting the interim clearance. My BI never said.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed