Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Justin1985  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 1:03:01 PM(UTC)
Justin1985

Groups: Registered
United States

there are so many choices offered to us. i am in my 30s and covering my wife and kids (1 and 4) under my plan.

currently we have aetna open access. we are in MD zip 21701.

i was debating on switching to BCBS. had also looked into united healthcare plans. all the zero deductible family plans.

we aren't horribly unsatisfied with aetna. its nice that it includes basic dental and vision benefits and (at least was last year) cheaper than comparable plans without vision and/or without dental benefits.

we've run into a couple issues this year which made me realize dental really was just that, BASIC coverage (root canal). my problem, my oversight, but regardless this was one issue i expected some help from insurance with the costs and got none.

certain doctors also seem to not want to accept aetna as forms of payment, instead want you the patient to submit payment yourself directly to them and hope to get reimbursed by your insurance company on your own.

i assume aetna tries to lowball the doctors too much? or be too big of a pain for the doctors to get compensated paperwork wise or otherwise? i have also heard the same of United so it makes me worried to make any jump.

anyone have any insight to a smart course of action? it looks like i may be adding on additional dental coverage regardless, possibly vision coverage as well if we move away from aetna. geha seemed like a good value in reviewing numbers and comparing but it comes up literally almost nowhere on doctors lists of accepted insurances.
jagfan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 1:14:07 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
GEHA is the health plan sponsor and not the name of their PPO network. They contract with a few different PPO networks depending on where you live. It looks like United Healthcare Options is the PPO in Maryland. See page 13 of their brochure to confirm.
OUtside  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 1:44:12 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Spend $8 for an on line subscription to Checkbook https://www.checkbook.org/newhig2/hig.cfm, the open season Guide for federal employees. Your personnel office probably would have free access you can use, as well.

Spend some quality time reviewing the material and you should come away well informed on the subject.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed