Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees Benefits Q &A

Do you have questions about your federal employee CSRS or FERS pension/annuity or federal employee retirement planning? Concerns about your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account or what about federal employee pay and leave issues?

Ask your question here.

The Q&A forum is moderated by Ed Zurndorfer -- an expert on federal employee benefits -- and a Certified Financial Planner, chartered life underwriter and chartered financial consultant in Maryland.

Zurndorfer is also the author of several federal employee benefits guides published by Federal Employees News Digest.

Your question will be put into a message queue and submitted for review. We cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, however any answered questions will appear below, and some will also be featured in our daily Federal Daily e-newsletter (Subscribe here). Federal Soup users should not submit replies to the questions posted, as we leave the replies for the moderator only. Any replies to questions other than the moderator will be deleted.

Please do not submit employee benefits questions to the webmaster or the forum moderator.

Note: FederalSoup.com has attempted to compile information that is as accurate and current as possible for federal employees. Federal policies, laws, regulations, statistics and addresses continually change. Therefore, no warranties are made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information presented in this column. If additional clarification or information is needed, it is suggested that competent and professional assistance be sought. Mr. Zurndorfer does not moderate other forums on FederalSoup and will not reply to general FederalSoup inquiries submitted in this Q&A forum.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Leon44  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 04, 2017 2:08:18 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Any recommendations on FEDVIP Vision insurance? I never bought it in the past but looks wife and I we'll both need exams, glasses, etc in 2018.
I have BCBS for FEHB's so I may just go with BlueVision.
Ed Zurndorfer  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 04, 2017 6:50:49 PM(UTC)

You have been a member since:: 9/10/2001(UTC)

Was thanked: 119 time(s) in 108 post(s)
Sorry, but this forum does not make specific company health, dental, and vision insurance recommendations.
upandup  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 04, 2017 7:57:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
With vision insurance, the consideration of provider networks is of utmost importance. The out of network benefit is a pittance. Who will give you your eye exam? Where will you get your glasses?

Then, compare the included coverages and lens options. For most people, the high options for vision will be better value than the low options.
Ed Zurndorfer  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 04, 2017 9:41:03 PM(UTC)

Thank you for your input into this forum.
Plato  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:35:07 AM(UTC)
Plato

United States

We've had Blue vision, but thinking Aetna this year, given that they seem more liberal on the frame allowance. Additionally, I just learned Blue is really "Davis Vision," which limits you to their "Collections" collection of frames; you can choose frames not in the collection, but you will be responsible for more than had you of chosen their frames. Aetna is a flat $230 for frames and can choose any frames...or so it seems.

The lens coverage seemed quite comparable, though...both with free annual exams, etc.

I don't wear glasses (though I need them) and my wife primarily uses Blue for contacts. Aetna has a $150 allowance for contacts vs. Blue's $130.

I called the local optometrist my son and I plan to visit asking if they preferred one over the other or if one was more liberal in coverage than the other and similar questions. She confirmed that Blue is Davis Vision and they have a section of just their frames and the rest are color coded, which indicated how much more you would pay out-of-pocket for the non-collection frames.

With regards to Aetna, she said she just doesn't see it that much, so didn't really have any information she could share and offered no preference. I wouldn't think they are new to the vision game, so this raised a flag...sort of.

So I am leaning toward Aetna this year, but haven't had any problems with Blue (have had them for a long time and no problems with my wife getting the full allowance on contacts, exams, etc).

Ed Zurndorfer  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 08, 2017 3:00:34 AM(UTC)

hawkeye37128  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 08, 2017 12:45:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
You get a 150.00 frame allowance with Blue vision. You do not have to use the Davis collection. Always got nice frames for 150.00 and not choose from the collection.
Ed Zurndorfer  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 09, 2017 4:16:23 PM(UTC)

Rss Feed  Atom Feed