Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

43 Pages«<414243
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Marie93  
#841 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2019 11:30:42 AM(UTC)
Marie93

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Red Go to Quoted Post
el Chapo was an OCDETF case. CI is part of OCDETF. We also investigate ID theft and false refund claims, which are often done by career criminals (these fake refunds started in the prisons). And there are still sovereign citizens out there.

I have always thought of CI as a law enforcement person who needs to have some accounting background, rather than accountant who happens to be required to carry a gun.

The training at the academy in Georgia was enough for me to never even try despite the appeal of 20 year retirement and all the other perks.

Red  
#842 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2019 11:38:00 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Marie, you are pretty perceptive. I've known many in CI, including management people, who think we would be better served to hire some experienced police investigators and train them in accounting, rather than mostly accountants and train them in investigations and law enforcement.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Marie93 on 3/11/2019(UTC)
Red  
#843 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2019 11:54:39 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 24 post(s)
As a side note, I think Elmer Irey and Frank Wilson were former Postal Inspectors and Mike Malone was a New Jersey cop before he became an agent. There were some former cops in the division for many years and still are, I assume. I worked with some. Inspection (now TIGTA) used to have guys go back and forth between them and Secret Service, or Customs, ATF, etc, when we were all Treasury- some also went from CI to ATF and Customs.
Marie93  
#844 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2019 12:09:38 PM(UTC)
Marie93

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Red Go to Quoted Post
As a side note, I think Elmer Irey and Frank Wilson were former Postal Inspectors and Mike Malone was a New Jersey cop before he became an agent. There were some former cops in the division for many years and still are, I assume. I worked with some. Inspection (now TIGTA) used to have guys go back and forth between them and Secret Service, or Customs, ATF, etc, when we were all Treasury- some also went from CI to ATF and Customs.

I don’t know a lot about CI but as a Revenue Officer, I had dealings with them. For awhile they were located in the same office. They would sometimes suggest that I apply. When I figured out the job is much more than being a paper pusher, I was not interested. I worked with a few ROs who transferred over to CI. Funny, I worked with ROs who use to be cops, but none were interested in going to CI.

Are you still working?

MrNeumann  
#845 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2019 1:12:15 AM(UTC)
MrNeumann

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
If hired with prior federal experience (GS-13) level, will IRS CI (or revenue agent) match your current pay? My salary is higher than the typical announcement maximum.
Steve11388  
#846 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:41:15 PM(UTC)
Steve11388

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If your prior experience is with the IRS they may fully match your salary. If your prior federal work experience is not with the IRS then they MAY choose to offer you the highest step within the grade you qualify for but that is 100% at their disresion during the hiring process.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed