Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

8 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LieutenantBlantyre  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 03, 2018 5:58:02 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 112 post(s)
For those who also just got back in, have you seen sight of your contract yet? Questions about dates, lengths, and terms have resulted in cagey non-responses at Cleveland. We don’t even have a finalized 1040 visible yet.

This return has been more mysterious than usual.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 03, 2018 8:25:28 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

In case you're wondering what sparked this thread, it was the guessing from the break room analytical group about why we couldn't be told when we would know our contract length let alone when filing season will kick off. Officially the word at Cleveland is that there is no word. The paragraph from an article in The Hill gives away a bit of the problem:

Quote:
In a letter to House Democrats Tuesday, Pelosi sought to assure the Caucus that she and Schumer would be taking a harder line on the omnibus, singling out protections for Dreamers as well as new funding for veterans, health research, threatened pensions, disaster relief and a popular state-based children’s health care program.

I'll find out exactly how badly Senator Schumer was ranting in the Senate after today's meeting about the budget in tomorrow's Congressional Record. Apparently the meeting turned into blamestorming.

Put time back up on the clock: https://www.timeanddate.com/coun...amp;font=serif&csz=1
buddy10  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 04, 2018 3:55:26 PM(UTC)
buddy10

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Had a snow day today. On Tuesday and Wednesday couldn't sign on to my computer. It said my account was disabled. Sat there all day with nothing to do. No seasonal agreement given out yet and was told they don't know when the first day of filing season will be lol..
Jadekalon  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 05, 2018 5:17:21 AM(UTC)
Jadekalon

United States

I found out yesterday that filing season begins on Jan 29, according to irs.gov.

AlwaysWaiting  
#5 Posted : Saturday, January 06, 2018 11:37:01 AM(UTC)
AlwaysWaiting

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Austin received our seasonal contract for 6-8 months on Wednesday.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 06, 2018 5:32:08 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Cleveland also got 6-8 month contracts by week's end.

So many of us are getting over the flu, bronchitis, and pneumonia that the seasonal floor sounds like a tuberculosis ward.

A bunch of us were happy to hear that filing won't happen until January 29th. That's going to remove some of the weirder PATH Act-related calls.

Rough count is that, bureau-wide, we have enough seasonal and permanent full-time CSRs to crew an aircraft carrier. If we were infantry, our number of CSRs would be so great that it would be a Division under a Major General in the field. The entire CSR force matches the population of a single city, Berea, in the surburbs of the Cleveland call site or that slightly more distant Underground Railroad stop of Ashtabula City that was once home to famed attorney Clarence Darrow.

If the callers complain about not getting answered, remember that we're throwing an awfully large number of warm bodies at the calls. There just comes a point where we can only go so hard on AHOD to where it no longer matters. Just remember that we used to have even more people to throw at the phones.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 07, 2018 9:05:02 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Budget outlook for the week ahead isn’t too positive. Majority Leader of the House doesn’t have any appropriations legislation on the schedule. The Senate is proceeding to another judicial nomination on Monday.

The clock runs out on January 19th which gets ever closer.
Lifefocus  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:07:18 AM(UTC)
Lifefocus

United States

It's a mess.One supervisior for 18 people.All week to get on the computer.
buddy10  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 4:49:35 PM(UTC)
buddy10

United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm still not on most of my systems. Almost 2 weeks in.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:07:22 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Lifefocus Go to Quoted Post
It's a mess.One supervisior for 18 people.All week to get on the computer.

The span of control probably seems simpler at the smaller remotes. We’ve adapted at Cleveland fairly well to it so far. Then again, we’ve had literal casualties so we’ve been preoccupied. We’re not the healthiest bunch and winter hits us hard.

Originally Posted by: buddy10 Go to Quoted Post
I'm still not on most of my systems. Almost 2 weeks in.

We’re coming to readiness slowly but surely at Cleveland. We may be able to light up on Tuesday.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:09:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked LieutenantBlantyre for this useful post.
Lifefocus on 1/10/2018(UTC)
Hired 2015  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:36:25 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Took awhile to get partial access and it was straight on the phones with no time to read what couldn't be accessed. Straight on the phones. Its all about the dash for the numbers for a bonus I'll never get. On the plus side its a job to pay the bills. Just a peon schelping along.
thanks 1 user thanked Hired 2015 for this useful post.
Lifefocus on 1/10/2018(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:23:12 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
Took awhile to get partial access and it was straight on the phones with no time to read what couldn't be accessed. Straight on the phones. Its all about the dash for the numbers for a bonus I'll never get. On the plus side its a job to pay the bills. Just a peon schelping along.

What the heck is wrong with Indianapolis? We're off the phones at Cleveland for the rest of the week getting systems up plus doing App 115 training as well as App 55 training on FAST. I'm not looking forward to CER where people at your site are reviewing my site's calls.
Lifefocus  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:35:22 PM(UTC)
Lifefocus

United States

I hope everyone is feeling better. There are plenty of updates to read while we're waiting for all our systems to be available.We were on for 11 months,I doubt that we seasonals will be on that long this year.150 coming out of training this month.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 13, 2018 7:37:38 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Supposedly we're back on the phones Tuesday at Cleveland. If the constant AHOD on 55 is any measure, I'll be sitting on AHOD having fun with FAST. I barely staffed 55 last year so I'll be curious why on earth people are desperate for appointments.

We abandoned ship around 1200 ET due to the worsening conditions and were the last agency out of the building. Snow is still falling at home tonight. I'm looking at buying land in Puerto Rico and seeing about getting a ship. I've had it with this weather. The recent snow hurricane the east coast had was bad enough. The tropics are calling to me again.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 6:41:18 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Here we go...

Rep. John Lewis calls Trump 'racist,' won't vote on government funding without DACA deal http://us.cnn.com/2018/01/14/po...omments-cnntv/index.html
Government shutdown looms with no DACA deal in sight http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/...-sight/story?id=52356047
GOP leaders face most difficult shutdown deadline yet http://thehill.com/homenews/hou...lt-shutdown-deadline-yet

Now, I’m not saying we will definitely have a shutdown. Representative Lewis wouldn’t make a move like that without Pelosi/Schumer approval since he’s a leader in the Congressional Black Caucus too. Senator Durbin of Illinois, Senate Minority Whip, has also been stirring up trouble.

This week will be interesting. If Congress dares to be stupid I will just go back to shopping for a ship that I’m going to eventually homeport in the Caribbean. I’m gonna set up a bumboat and give up on being a tax collector at this rate.
chriswt25  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 8:15:40 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post
Here we go...

Rep. John Lewis calls Trump 'racist,' won't vote on government funding without DACA deal http://us.cnn.com/2018/01/14/po...omments-cnntv/index.html
Government shutdown looms with no DACA deal in sight http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/...-sight/story?id=52356047
GOP leaders face most difficult shutdown deadline yet http://thehill.com/homenews/hou...lt-shutdown-deadline-yet

Now, I’m not saying we will definitely have a shutdown. Representative Lewis wouldn’t make a move like that without Pelosi/Schumer approval since he’s a leader in the Congressional Black Caucus too. Senator Durbin of Illinois, Senate Minority Whip, has also been stirring up trouble.

This week will be interesting. If Congress dares to be stupid I will just go back to shopping for a ship that I’m going to eventually homeport in the Caribbean. I’m gonna set up a bumboat and give up on being a tax collector at this rate.

I saw 2 different shows this evening, (one on CNN, the other on Fox) where talking heads (including reporters that cover Congress) were saying that it is pretty certain that another CR till the end of Feb is a fairly safe bet.

I thought that this Fri was a good chance for a shutdown, but usually these people are in the know about these things.

Hired 2015  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:52:19 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Concepts like increasing federal jobs in states that want to see less government spending could be a challenge. Medicaid reform especially in right to work states, effort to keep more from taking social security too early. Quality and metrics v. address of higher priority resource management issues. During the 1980s numerous reforms the old school package X dropped many forms and even more forms went to special order. Private sector tax offices were forced to make their own copies. By 1985 many private sector tax offices hired direct from unemployment, vocational rehab and medicaid programs without doing interviews through state agency agreements. By 1986 many private sector tax office jobs were advertisied for those not keeping up with student loan payments. Under those early programs refusal to work ended benefits and unemployment delayed payment for student loans. Remember it all very well. Paying for my education is what brought me into the tax industry. Worked a full time job and then a part time gig in a tax office for over 15 years. In the 80s we worked from home to make doing it all possible. I left to catch the bus for work by 6:30a, arrived by 8a, got off at 5p, took the bus to my part time to get there by 6:30p and in good weather got home around midnight. During peak I took one day a week off from my full time job and worked 7 days a week at the part time. You worked like that under the reforms with little extra to save. 100% reliant on social security for retirement. Answer to AHOD is going to be hire the unemployed and those on medicaid shorten training time and retain them with more flex time.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 17, 2018 3:59:16 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Okay, this would make the first batch of refunds perilous. The proposed new CR would only fund us to February 16th. With PATH Act in mind and taking 21 days from January 29th, that puts us at February 20th accounting for Washington's Birthday (Observed). Even with the budget deal sweeteners, the question is whether or not Senate Democrats would shut things down over passage of the DACA replacement.

House GOP rolls out spending stopgap to avert government shutdown http://politi.co/2mQ2W4L

House Republicans coalesce behind plan to avert shutdown http://politi.co/2DhcyzI

LieutenantBlantyre  
#19 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 9:05:14 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Shockingly Treasury issued new guidance and all the CSRs are considered essential. Yep, we are now verily screwed. This makes the OT solicitation feel ironic now.

I have some calls to make over lunch.
PrimaDawna  
#20 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 9:33:50 AM(UTC)
PrimaDawna

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Everyone at my campus is agahst at being considered essential.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed