Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

6 Pages«<456
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kitkatma  
#101 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:28:48 AM(UTC)
kitkatma

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Rumor before I left on vacation was little (2-3 weeks) to no layoff this year. I was told by HQ reps that there is no plan for layoffs prior to the end of the fiscal year (Sep 30th).
Pittsburgh_Bill  
#102 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 12:37:28 PM(UTC)
Pittsburgh_Bill

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sbakk Go to Quoted Post
Any rumors on furlough? This was a rough season. I’m so ready!

It is not likely that furlough will be offered until the end of the Fiscal year.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#103 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:31:18 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pittsburgh_Bill Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Sbakk Go to Quoted Post
Any rumors on furlough? This was a rough season. I’m so ready!

It is not likely that furlough will be offered until the end of the Fiscal year.

If I had $2 per open 1040x sitting at the campuses, I would be a millionaire with nice pocket change still to fund several charities. This 80% LoS is going to bite us in the buttocks soon enough. We've got unworked paper and the mountain is growing.

As to furlough questions at Cleveland, the question itself is seen as seditious & mutinous while the politically correct answer is no furlough expected at all currently. We don't have enough warm bodies to do the job. Unless we have an unfortunate accident causing us to lose hundreds of millions of 1040x submissions, we don't have the resources to meet our conflicting priorities from Congress. Furlough only happens when we are surplus to labor needs.
Hired 2015  
#104 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 5:06:25 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
The seasonal agreements at my location expire in early Sept. Already made plans. Have a seasonal job offer starting Oct 15th for a set 10 month position. Still getting offers for jobs that unemployment required I apply to. Still window shopping in the job market. Best offer for work hours, pay, benefits, etc wins. I don't think we got a raise this year. Sewer, water, gas, net, phone, food, insurance in every category and gas prices are climbing. TSP isn't making money. More employers match more on the 401K. Its just business and about making the ends meet.
gardenia  
#105 Posted : Wednesday, June 06, 2018 6:33:26 AM(UTC)
gardenia

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Furlough is dictated by budget alone. This is my 12th year as a seasonal and I have been furloughed when calls were nonstop and I have been required to stay when I sat available for an hour. The letters say lack of work because unemployment requires it. It can’t come soon enough.
phillysteak  
#106 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2018 5:14:04 PM(UTC)
phillysteak

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
any info on furlough yet??
LieutenantBlantyre  
#107 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2018 6:49:20 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: phillysteak Go to Quoted Post
any info on furlough yet??

How bad is the paper inventory? I forgot to check today.

Congress is acting like it won't pass appropriations by the end of September. It isn't like it would be the first time this calendar year we've faced the risk of shutdown and seen it actually happen. It would actually be the third or fourth, come to think of it.

Cleveland's "Training Day" is August 21st which is a Tuesday during the first week of a pay period. If the seasonals end up missing it, we would be out on August 17th. So few of the seasonals have the BalDue skill code these days and we were outright denied permission to train people up to it. We can't need the ASG212 people all that much longer.

The current guess at Cleveland is that we're riding right through into the new year with as screwed up as everything is.

phillysteak  
#108 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 2:02:27 PM(UTC)
phillysteak

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
this furlough thread been idle for too long, just throwing this in to move up the thread.
thanks 1 user thanked phillysteak for this useful post.
LieutenantBlantyre on 7/9/2018(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre  
#109 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 5:54:26 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: phillysteak Go to Quoted Post
this furlough thread been idle for too long, just throwing this in to move up the thread.

Well, what will get done first? Confirming the nominee Judge Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court or getting all the appropriations bills passed? We've got zero budget bills passed. The Democrats are promising "Scorched Earth" tactics on Judge Kavanaugh just like they went through in 2006.

The upper limit is 2359 Eastern on September 30, 2018. We'll go home thanks to an impending shutdown. Here's the countdown timer for those keeping score.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#110 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 6:12:43 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Well, what has changed since yesterday?

1. Mandatory Briefings are now loaded in ELMS for our people at Cleveland, at least.
2. People with badges expiring in December 2018 are now starting to get notices that new ones are being printed to be picked up shortly.
3. Paper inventory for the end of last week finally posted with us finally at a non-insane number enterprise-wide. KCSC and FSC are still in the hole while ANSC somehow has a negative inventory count...but we might survive this.
4. We're in the second balance due notice cycle yet volume was rather low until the West Coast woke up & started calling. Most of the balance due calls I've got filtering in are either off-the-wall MMIA issues that AM is no longer allowed to handle per 5.19 or people not being able to figure out how to use OPA correctly with them setting things up under the secondary TP.

Anybody got a feeling as to a date? Even though there have been solicitations, we've abandoned solicitations before as they're only for determining availability of willing headcount for the phones anyhow.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 10, 2018 6:13:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kitkatma  
#111 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:12:37 PM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Well, we were told tonight in our team meeting that KC will have a perm conversion, 208 CSR's & 25 TE's with an effective date of 9/30/18. We were also told that there is currently no plan to release our seasonals here before December and that OT is not ending any time soon.
sekonick  
#112 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:04:37 AM(UTC)
sekonick

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I would be very surprised if there was a seasonal release this year. OT is funded thru at least 9/30/18 and more perm conversions are planned again this year. At least at CAMC they are. We have gone years where there was either no release or it was for 1 pay period. I wouldn't get your hopes up on a furlough, as always its subject to funding and need. Its been AHOD pretty much constantly since February and per the SA's I don't see that letting up anytime soon. They have to keep you to keep LOS. And then once we reach Q4 all the questions about the tax law changes are going to start coming in. I don't see the seasonals going anywhere.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#113 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 5:20:44 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: sekonick Go to Quoted Post
I would be very surprised if there was a seasonal release this year. OT is funded thru at least 9/30/18 and more perm conversions are planned again this year. At least at CAMC they are. We have gone years where there was either no release or it was for 1 pay period. I wouldn't get your hopes up on a furlough, as always its subject to funding and need. Its been AHOD pretty much constantly since February and per the SA's I don't see that letting up anytime soon. They have to keep you to keep LOS. And then once we reach Q4 all the questions about the tax law changes are going to start coming in. I don't see the seasonals going anywhere.

Well, news dropped for us in Cleveland finally. We're going to have people stuck in training all the way into next season. It appears that the Tax Law Skill-Ups in light of the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act of 2017 will be non-discretionary requirements for everybody who is trained on full 20 & 55. ASG212 gets left behind on this one as their not eligible for the skill-ups offered. National actually gave us funding for more slots than we had people eligible to fill which is why it turned into being a non-discretionary requirement at Cleveland for almost everybody to be in the classes. The 231 training takes a few months to get in.

I'm not sure how we're going to pull all this off at Cleveland. Coming up we've got:

1. Mandatory Briefings which we can't take at our desks but in a training room
2. New hires potentially arriving last week in October
3. Tax Law skill-ups for several gates starting in September
4. 40 people converting to perm with a stand-up date of September 30th
5. CER stand-up as of July 22nd

We're going to be pulled in too many ways without enough physical space let alone staff.
chriswt25  
#114 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 12:29:16 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 28 post(s)

Well, news dropped for us in Cleveland finally. We're going to have people stuck in training all the way into next season. It appears that the Tax Law Skill-Ups in light of the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act of 2017 will be non-discretionary requirements for everybody who is trained on full 20 & 55. ASG212 gets left behind on this one as their not eligible for the skill-ups offered. National actually gave us funding for more slots than we had people eligible to fill which is why it turned into being a non-discretionary requirement at Cleveland for almost everybody to be in the classes. The 231 training takes a few months to get in.

I'm not sure how we're going to pull all this off at Cleveland. Coming up we've got:

1. Mandatory Briefings which we can't take at our desks but in a training room
2. New hires potentially arriving last week in October
3. Tax Law skill-ups for several gates starting in September
4. 40 people converting to perm with a stand-up date of September 30th
5. CER stand-up as of July 22nd

We're going to be pulled in too many ways without enough physical space let alone staff.

I guess you will accept a perm position if you are one of the 40 in your office? I know you have always been saying they rarely have any perm conversions where you are at.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed