Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

8 Pages«<678
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chriswt25  
#141 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 12:46:34 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mygirls3 Go to Quoted Post
What is up with this season? Every day around 12:00 pm, it is AHOD!! I believe it is budget driven and all to do with LOS!! I think my campus will eventually become a call center! I am so glad I am retiring in four months!! I just mailed my retirement papers certified at the post office. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

First of all, congratulations on being able to put in your papers. Wish I had the age requirement to do so. You are right on with your observations. There is plenty of paper to go around, IF they wanted to distribute the work equitably. The problem is they don't, and are happy to burden people with paper skills to literally be phone people.

Great way to provide excellent service, when you get calls from taxpayer's wondering why their requests have not been worked, and you see the cases untouched by CSR's for months in another center, while you are told there is a lack of inventory.

They call AHOD and there are huge gaps between the calls. Does wonders for morale.
Hired 2015  
#142 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 3:45:34 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LieutenantBlantyre Go to Quoted Post

Well, we are down with staffing at Cleveland since we had to shift people off to CER. Since our CER team is joint between Indianapolis and Cleveland, we've been having fun. The folks at Indianapolis evaluating Cleveland have been pulling quite a bit of petty bull***** and have been ignoring the lead. The team's manager is based in Indianapolis but the lead is at Cleveland. A breakdown along the line is coming up if the bull***** doesn't stop.

What? De minimis is the proper term.

LieutenantBlantyre  
#143 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 4:23:15 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chriswt25 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mygirls3 Go to Quoted Post
What is up with this season? Every day around 12:00 pm, it is AHOD!! I believe it is budget driven and all to do with LOS!! I think my campus will eventually become a call center! I am so glad I am retiring in four months!! I just mailed my retirement papers certified at the post office. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

First of all, congratulations on being able to put in your papers. Wish I had the age requirement to do so. You are right on with your observations. There is plenty of paper to go around, IF they wanted to distribute the work equitably. The problem is they don't, and are happy to burden people with paper skills to literally be phone people.

Great way to provide excellent service, when you get calls from taxpayer's wondering why their requests have not been worked, and you see the cases untouched by CSR's for months in another center, while you are told there is a lack of inventory.

They call AHOD and there are huge gaps between the calls. Does wonders for morale.

According to JOC's 1040X levels report we're watching at Cleveland, we notice more than one campus has closed more 1040X cases than it has actually received which we assume means they're working cases from other sites. I think ANSC started it and others have joined in. It may just come from closing cases out over the phone regardless of where the case is assigned, perhaps. We don't know what it is from our perspective.

I'm glad you're seeing large gaps. We're being pounded at Cleveland. Just as much as JAX is Bal Due specialty, we're becoming the capital for TAC Appointment Hotline and we've actually begged off the last couple AHOD calls on 20 simply because we don't have any more people to add since 55 is technically ranked higher in priority. With the increased emphasis on staffing TEGE TXL for us since we're subordinate to Cincinnati, we're going to be losing even more coverage on 20 at Cleveland by the start of October once we train up the two new TEGE TXL teams. The folks at national have been giving us requested staffing levels that we've had to respond to stating that we just don't have enough trained warm bodies to cover. We have more funded slots for training up to TXL 231 than we actually have people eligible to receive it, for example.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#144 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 4:40:10 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post

Well, we are down with staffing at Cleveland since we had to shift people off to CER. Since our CER team is joint between Indianapolis and Cleveland, we've been having fun. The folks at Indianapolis evaluating Cleveland have been pulling quite a bit of petty bull***** and have been ignoring the lead. The team's manager is based in Indianapolis but the lead is at Cleveland. A breakdown along the line is coming up if the bull***** doesn't stop.

What? De minimis is the proper term.

Since every manager at the Cleveland call site have started throwing rebuttals themselves back at the CER people in Indianapolis and have actually been rejecting back quite a number of call reviews, it isn't minimal. The running debate at Cleveland is as to what on earth is wrong at Indianapolis. Is the culture there one of strutting martinets? Concerns were already raised to the AM Field Director in boisterous meetings I thankfully didn't attend.
Mygirls3  
#145 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 5:19:27 PM(UTC)
Mygirls3

United States

Thank you chriswt25! It is bittersweet to leave after being in AM for over 19 years in Andover! I have been a CSR, lead, instructor and manager so I have done it all. It is frustrating to be AHOD when there is delay between calls and I could be closing my paper cases! I see open controls in Fresno since April for 1040X in SP not even assigned to an employee and it is then my job to tell taxpayers it hasn’t been worked! I have heard that Fresno and Kansas City hide their inventory so their people do not have to go on the phones. We in Andover are getting paper cases assigned to us from Kansas City and Fresno and we’re told that we are efficient in closing cases. I know that they need to train new hires in bal due calls as I am constantly getting calls that are either in Status 12 or Status 22! How annoying is that!!
kitkatma  
#146 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 6:06:26 PM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I am a CSR in the Kansas City Campus and I can assure you that we are not hiding inventory. I have complained about the "centralized" distribution system in multiple focus groups with the higher ups. We are not suppose to get inventory from the "wall", we are suppose to wait until the system drops it. And when it does drop, it comes from every campus.

And for the record, KC DOES NOT keep its people off the phones. We have been AHOD with the rest, and just like everyone else we are frustrated with being on the phones in "AHOD" with long waits.
chriswt25  
#147 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 7:27:28 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

Originally Posted by: kitkatma Go to Quoted Post
I am a CSR in the Kansas City Campus and I can assure you that we are not hiding inventory. I have complained about the "centralized" distribution system in multiple focus groups with the higher ups. We are not suppose to get inventory from the "wall", we are suppose to wait until the system drops it. And when it does drop, it comes from every campus.

And for the record, KC DOES NOT keep its people off the phones. We have been AHOD with the rest, and just like everyone else we are frustrated with being on the phones in "AHOD" with long waits.

When was the last time you were first on/last off in the pecking order? Sometimes it can be hours before they get to the centers that are not at the bottom of the list before they go AHOD. Same applies when it is time to come off AHOD.

I see cases consistently assigned to CSR'S for months without updates to them, or they play musical chairs among CSR's keeping them in house. K.C isn't the biggest abuser, but I see it often enough.

kitkatma  
#148 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 7:46:06 PM(UTC)
kitkatma

United States

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)

When was the last time you were first on/last off in the pecking order. I see cases consistently assigned to CSR'S for months without updates to them, or they play musical chairs among CSR's keeping them in house.

As I am not previliage enough to have the "pecking order", I can't answer that. I just know that our site has been going AHOD around noon our time & back to regular or minimal between 6-7 per our staffing emails.

chriswt25  
#149 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 7:52:32 PM(UTC)
chriswt25

United States

When was the last time you were first on/last off in the pecking order. I see cases consistently assigned to CSR'S for months without updates to them, or they play musical chairs among CSR's keeping them in house.

As I am not previliage enough to have the "pecking order", I can't answer that. I just know that our site has been going AHOD around noon our time & back to regular or minimal between 6-7 per our staffing emails.

Same applies when a center is at bottom of the list and everyone starts on a schedule. If you are at the bottom you may never see the light of day to get to minimal, while if you are higher up the list you have a better chance of going minimal. It is not a privilege to see the JOC website. It can be gotten to by anyone that has the URL. I am not going to publish here.

Edited by user Sunday, August 26, 2018 7:55:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#150 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:11:25 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Our biggest problem is a lack of warm bodies. We're hurting when it comes to having enough SAs to answer the JOC in case some of today's entries didn't make sense as to Cleveland. Then again, going AHOD on 20 first does mean we've got nothing additional left to go AHOD on 55 with unless we're pulling assets from the 20 AHOD to the 55 AHOD. All that we can do is tell those already on 55 to keep their runs to the restroom as short as humanly possible and to not waste time on calls. No bladder eruptions requiring hospitalization or childish accidents requiring changes of clothes have happened yet.

Although other remotes get the privilege of going to minimal on 55 which allows those remotes to dump their 55 people to 20, Cleveland has never had that privilege. Friday shouldn't count as that is Training Day where we are off the phones totally. Frankly the direction our site is going seems quite up in the air lately along with the rest of the Cincinnati AM directorate.

The question now is simply whether or not we're going to get a budget passed in time. Since filibustering passage of appropriations to cover FY2019 is the only effective route left to delay confirming Justice-designate Brett Kavanaugh, the odds are increasing that that will be tried. Both shutdowns happened over the DACA/immigration issue earlier this year so it would be keeping in form & recent practices for all the players in the Senate to pull crap like that giving us a third one.
Cedars0327  
#151 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:17:55 PM(UTC)
Cedars0327

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Is it true during shut downs that permanent employees are usually deemed non essential while the seasonal stay essential and are expected to work?
LieutenantBlantyre  
#152 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:49:54 AM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Cedars0327 Go to Quoted Post
Is it true during shut downs that permanent employees are usually deemed non essential while the seasonal stay essential and are expected to work?

The last time we had an Outside Filing Season contingency plan posted, it said all AM & ACS CRs would get tossed with phones not being answered as well as paper sitting not done. Training cannot happen during a shutdown too. Only minimal SP & Remittance Processing would stick around.

If we get that far, we'd have to see what the updated plan said.
Hired 2015  
#153 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 9:48:46 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Since every manager at the Cleveland call site have started throwing rebuttals themselves back at the CER people in Indianapolis and have actually been rejecting back quite a number of call reviews, it isn't minimal. The running debate at Cleveland is as to what on earth is wrong at Indianapolis. Is the culture there one of strutting martinets? Concerns were already raised to the AM Field Director in boisterous meetings I thankfully didn't attend.

The term de minimis is generally used to describe something that is too small or insignificant to be considered, something unimportant. the term comes from a Latin phrase, "de minimis non curat lex."

Indianapolis has had many, many leave. The education of adult learners is an entirely different field of specialty that you don't get from a book. Its becomes a de minimis process. I come from an entire family of educators. Comprehensive reading skills is the issue. Indianapolis has one of the nation's worse reading skill levels even among college grads.

5-7 minutes is old school. Reading with comprehension in that timeframe any educator would realize creates turnover. Having to go back to say 5-7 minutes over and over disrupts the process to read and learn. Are you educating or teaching?

De minimis results.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 29, 2018 9:49:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LieutenantBlantyre  
#154 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:49:00 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post

The term de minimis is generally used to describe something that is too small or insignificant to be considered, something unimportant. the term comes from a Latin phrase, "de minimis non curat lex."

Indianapolis has had many, many leave. The education of adult learners is an entirely different field of specialty that you don't get from a book. Its becomes a de minimis process. I come from an entire family of educators. Comprehensive reading skills is the issue. Indianapolis has one of the nation's worse reading skill levels even among college grads.

5-7 minutes is old school. Reading with comprehension in that timeframe any educator would realize creates turnover. Having to go back to say 5-7 minutes over and over disrupts the process to read and learn. Are you educating or teaching?

De minimis results.

The expression means that law doesn't concern itself with trivialities. Marking up trivialities with uncalled for 715 errors is more the issue with the CER bunch out your way. Then again, we've got new cardiac cases developing so many it won't matter in due time anyhow. Chronic high blood pressure isn't sustainable for living and these calls lately have been getting all sorts of people redder than apples in the face. We don't need more people carrying around oxygen machines with them as necessary fashion accessories after coming back to work from Congestive Heart Failure Incidents.

I do try to teach. What it ends up being anymore is Mega Screener on 55. The communications gaps are growing to where we can't fix it on the phone and the poor people calling lack not just enough vocabulary to talk to us but also the knowledge of the concepts that surround what we're doing. They can't verbalize what they need help with because they themselves have no concept of what is going on.

The days of being a janitor were far simpler than this hot mess. At least I was happier although a bit bored with that job.

Hired 2015  
#155 Posted : Thursday, August 30, 2018 3:17:00 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

The expression means that law doesn't concern itself with trivialities. Marking up trivialities with uncalled for 715 errors is more the issue with the CER bunch out your way.

The training to look it up is De minimis because it hasn't kept pace with society. Fast food corporations had to put pictures on cash registers decades ago due to decline in reading skills. Libraries have shrunk because schools aren't teaching reading skills that match the books. Cursive writing skills aren't being taught.

Phonics. Visual graphics learning. Utility companies replaced letters with visual graphics. In many states more than 80% of students in state teacher licensing programs fail the comprehensive reading portion of the required standardized testing. I had a friend with a PhD that failed to pass the licensing reading test and got a waiver license under the highly qualified rules. The classroom has shifted to a hands on learning environment and lab learning model.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#156 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 7:46:05 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Just 720 hours and change until the budget runs out again. Yes, we're on track for a possible shutdown perhaps. With the confirmation hearings for Justice-designate Brett Kavanaugh set to begin on Tuesday when the House of Representatives is also slated to return to work, all bets are off. Frankly shutting down the government is the only real leverage the Democrats have to try to stop the confirmation of Justice-designate Kavanaugh since the filibuster is no longer an available tool.

We'll see what happens. Enjoy the holiday weekend.
LieutenantBlantyre  
#157 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2018 7:16:46 PM(UTC)
LieutenantBlantyre

Woman
United States

Bade, R., & Bresnahan, J. (2018, September 3). GOP leaders scramble to avoid pre-Election Day shutdown. Retrieved September 3, 2018, from https://www.politico.com/story/2...gop-leaders-trump-805787

Apparently moves are already afoot? That certainly was quick. At this hour, the countdown clock says there are 636 hours to figure things out in. Plenty of time...for the moment.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed