Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FEDLEO03  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:02:18 PM(UTC)
FEDLEO03

Groups: Registered
United States

Finally after 3 years of fighting with owcp to get my diagnosis of ptsd added to my approved claim for being severely assaulted in the line of duty from 2010 owcp has sent me a letter that I received in the mail on 1-10-18 stating they have set me up an appointment on 1-12-18 with there psychiatrist. OWCP is first class giving me a 2 day notice stating they highly recommend I do not reschedule this appointment. Going to be fun explaining to my boss on such short notice that I have to take Friday off.
VW1  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 8:10:56 AM(UTC)
VW1

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
One thing you are going to want to do immediately is request from OWCP a copy of the questions they sent to the SECOP examiner and a copy of your SOAF (Statement of Accepted Facts). When you get these documents you want to make sure none of the questions are leading questions. OWCP is not allowed to pose leading questions to their doctors. You also want to check the SOAF for accuracy. A lot of times the SOAF contains incorrect facts or misstated facts. This will help you if the SECOP doctor gives them a report that is not in your favor. If the facts in your SOAF are incorrect this will make the SECOP report invalid because any doctor providing a report is supposed to base their medical opinion on an accurate history of the injury and accurate facts of the injury and case.
FEDLEO03  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 9:25:30 AM(UTC)
FEDLEO03

United States

I think everything went well . According to the Dr. OWCP did not send him anything but that I was there to be evaluated for ptsd and anxiety .
VW1  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 9:47:48 AM(UTC)
VW1

United States

I hope this doctor is wrong because OWCP is REQUIRED to send him/her specific information. The following is an excerpt from the FECA Procedure Manual - Part 3 - Chapter 3-0500 (3)(c):

c. Information Sent to Second Opinion Physician. The physician should be provided with the following:

(1) A statement of accepted facts (SOAF);

(2) A list of pertinent questions or issues to be addressed;

(3) Copies of medical records from the case file based on the age of the case and/or the nature of the referral as follows:

(a) For unadjudicated case referrals and all referrals for medical management, disability management or surgery:

(i) All operative reports regardless of age;

(ii) All diagnostic tests regardless of age; and

(iii) All medical records from any qualified physician as defined in 5 U.S.C. 8101(2) authored within three years of the date of the second opinion referral.

If OWCP did not send anything to the SECOP doctor then how are they supposed to base their medical opinion on the history of your injury and the facts of the claim? If it is true that the doctor was not provided with any other information than what you were being examined for, keep it in your pocket to use on appeal if this doctor writes a report in favor of OWCP. If the report is in your favor and they accept the claim then you won't have to worry about using this information. Good luck!
FEDLEO03  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2018 4:35:37 PM(UTC)
FEDLEO03

United States

The Dr. had me tell him what had happened in detail then he begin to ask me question based off what I had told him.
VW1  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 9:52:40 AM(UTC)
VW1

United States

Okay I would still request a copy of the questions they sent to him and request a copy of the SOAF. Also request a copy of the SECOP report so you can look over it yourself. Depending on what this doctor states in his report will determine what actions you will need to take, if any.
LeroyToliver  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:17:59 PM(UTC)
LeroyToliver

United States

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 85 post(s)
You should do the same with your primary care physician and get a copy of the communication between them and OWCP every few months. Make sure all of your medical providers know the limitations on both your employer and OWCP as far as what information can be released and how communications should take place. If you find your doctor including personal information irrelevant to your claim, you can remind them as to what defines malpractice. Your employer can never call your doctor to ask anything that pertains to your case. No one may show your doctor any 'gotcha' video footage or pictures without first showing you and your attorneys and getting a signed statement on the footage from you. Any communication by the DOL/OWCP and the doctor should be in writing and included in your file for you and your attorneys to read over. There is no Insurance/doctors confidentiality, only that between the patient and their doctor.

Type something up at home with these instructions and ask your doctors office to make it the first thing your doctor sees every time they open your file.
FEDLEO03  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:19:23 PM(UTC)
FEDLEO03

United States

I will request everything. I have never seen a more corrupt ,lying bunch of people as OWCP. Something needs to be done to OWCP for the way they treat injured workers.
FEDLEO03  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 11:51:33 AM(UTC)
FEDLEO03

United States

I never heard back from OWCP. So I called them and they stated that the report was back and it was 11 pages . They also stated that PTSD and anxiety was not approved to be added to my claim. They stated that the Dr. stated that I did not have PTSD or anxiety and that the only way I could read the report was to request a copy in writing and to fax the request to OWCP. I told them that's not what the Dr. told me after my appointment that he stated he I did have those conditions and that he was going to write it up as such and recommend it be added to my claim. When I told them that they got all offensive and stated they would not read me all 11 pages over the phone and to just request a copy of the report. Can I contact the Dr. myself and request a copy of what he sent OWCP?
VW1  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 12:09:31 PM(UTC)
VW1

United States

Originally Posted by: FEDLEO03 Go to Quoted Post
I never heard back from OWCP. So I called them and they stated that the report was back and it was 11 pages . They also stated that PTSD and anxiety was not approved to be added to my claim. They stated that the Dr. stated that I did not have PTSD or anxiety and that the only way I could read the report was to request a copy in writing and to fax the request to OWCP. I told them that's not what the Dr. told me after my appointment that he stated he I did have those conditions and that he was going to write it up as such and recommend it be added to my claim. When I told them that they got all offensive and stated they would not read me all 11 pages over the phone and to just request a copy of the report. Can I contact the Dr. myself and request a copy of what he sent OWCP?

The answer would be no, you will have to write a letter to OWCP and request a copy of the report. You can mail the letter or upload it into ECOMP. I personally would upload into ECOMP because it goes directly into your claim file and you have a record that you submitted the request. Write down the DCN number and keep it in case they claim they didn't receive your request. When you upload into ECOMP under the drop down menu select "Case Copy/Document Request"
FEDLEO03  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:58:59 PM(UTC)
FEDLEO03

United States

I am confused now I got a letter in the mail today from OWCP stating PTSD has been added as a accepted condition to my claim. When I talked to OWCP on the phone last week they stated from the 11 page report from the secomp Dr. it was not added .
VW1  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:26:27 PM(UTC)
VW1

United States

Originally Posted by: FEDLEO03 Go to Quoted Post
I am confused now I got a letter in the mail today from OWCP stating PTSD has been added as a accepted condition to my claim. When I talked to OWCP on the phone last week they stated from the 11 page report from the secomp Dr. it was not added .

A lot of times when you call OWCP you are just speaking to a customer service rep or claims examiner that has no idea what is going on with your claim. What possibly happened is they pulled up your file and saw that the SECOP report had been received but no new conditions had been added to your claim. Trust me they are not going to sit there with you on the phone and go through the entire report. They might have even said to you that the conditions were denied because they saw the report was in your file but conditions had not been added.

What most likely happened is when you called the claims examiner assigned to your claim had not updated your file or possibly had not even read the SECOP report at the time of your call. They read it and the SECOP doctor stated that your PTSD was work related and the CE made the corrections to your claim and added the condition. As long as you have that letter stating that your claim has been expanded to accept PTSD as a work related injury you are good. Make sure to send a copy of that letter to your treating physician so they can properly bill OWCP for their services. If you paid any out of pocket expenses to obtain treatment for your newly added condition (co-pays, prescriptions etc) you can file to be reimbursed for those out of pocket expenses. For this you will need to submit OWCP-915 Form but carefully read the instructions. You can also now submit OWCP-957 Form to be reimbursed for your mileage to attend appointments related to the newly accepted condition. If you had to use your private insurance for any treatment of your PTSD notify your insurance carrier that your PTSD has now been accepted as work related so they can recoup the money they paid to the doctor since OWCP should have been responsible for the bills. I know this is a lot to take in so don't hesitate to ask more questions and I hope this information helps

Edited by user Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:27:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FEDLEO03  
#13 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 1:25:43 PM(UTC)
FEDLEO03

United States

I finally received my secomp Dr's report in the mail from OWCP. After reading it , I noticed that it says nothing like I was told it stated when I talked to OWCP on the phone about it! It is all in my favor that is the reason they added PTSD to my claim. I can not believe the crap OWCP can get by with .
FEDLEO03  
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 22, 2019 9:54:54 AM(UTC)
FEDLEO03

United States

I hate to re open and old thread but is there some place I can find a list of Doctors that accept OWCP? The reason I am asking is there is only one psychiatrist local to me that I have been seeing and he refuses to doing anything OWCP related. He will not even look at anything I receive from OWCP when I bring it to my appointments. He never has looked at my secomp report when I have tried to show it to him. He is difficult to work with I have quit going to him. I have searched online for psychiatrist local to me but when I call them all they have are psychiatrist nurse practitioners but they claim to accept OWCP but I think they are confused as I am told by OWCP that they only accept actual doctors . The Psychiatrist nurse practitioners also state they can not prescribe medicine. The closest big city from me is over and your away and it is not feasible for me to drive that far to see a psychiatrist if there is one located there that accepts OWCP due to the fact I try to get my appointments on my days off because I know my work will be difficult to work with if my appointments are during my work schedule due to the nature of my job. I also need a psychiatrist local due to the fact with a family I am just not going to be able to go far to see a psychiatrist.
Rivkah  
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 22, 2019 6:39:46 PM(UTC)
Rivkah

United States

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 38 post(s)
There is a list of doctors by state that accept federal owcp at theowcpclassroom.blogspot.com There are also doctors listed on owcp's website. That does not mean they are not biased against the patient. Sadly, many doctors do not want to deal with federal owcp because they know they are hard to deal with.
FEDLEO03  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 23, 2019 5:01:23 AM(UTC)
FEDLEO03

United States

theowcpclassroom.blogspot.com does not have any Doctors for my state listed and I searched OWCP website and could not find a Doctor search. Their is multiple OWCP Doctor search websites but they have no Doctors listed for Kentucky
VW1  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2020 5:16:09 AM(UTC)
VW1

United States

Go to this link, https://owcpmed.dol.gov/portal/main.do, and when you get to the homepage scroll down and you will see a box labeled, Available Features. One of those features is a Provider Search. Click on that feature and the next page will allow you to put in specific information to find accepted providers in your area. All of the doctors listed have been authorized by the Dept. of Labor to treat injured Federal Workers.
edalder  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 1:59:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 191 time(s) in 166 post(s)
I doubt that you will find any psychiatrist in that list, but cannot hurt to try. It just may be difficult to find that particular speciality.
Kivi
Rss Feed  Atom Feed