Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Contractors

Are you one of the millions who work for Uncle Sam but is not employeed by him? If so, then you are part of the federal contrators' world. This forum is created to allow contrators to share experiences and give insight to others.

FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal contractors, so please keep this forum on topic and focused. This will help make this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gailbuf  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 14, 2018 4:39:01 PM(UTC)
gailbuf

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
what field are you in? How are the benefits at MITRE corporation? I'm in IT, working for DFAS. I started as a contractor and had no benefits at all. Was fortunate to apply for a position on USAJOBs and it was in the group I worked in. I have been a fed employee since September and I am so thankful I had the opportunity to become a fed employee.
Spool_Up  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 08, 2018 9:07:21 AM(UTC)
Spool_Up

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am DoD GS-7 the pay sucks and I will more than likely will be leaving to work as a contractor for the Veterans Affairs. my pay will increase from $44,461 to $73,230 and $2,000 relocation expenses back to my hometown. As a contractor I will be getting full benefits and 10 paid federal holidays.
FedCivServ  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2018 11:36:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Only you can decide what means the most to you. I can tell you this: I guarantee your contractor company does not have a defined pension plan (and a 401k is not a defined pension plan). The Govt has not only a pension, but the TSP (our version of a 401k), tremendous insurance and great benefits. AND 2 words: job security. What happens if you quit and move away and in 6 months the contractor loses the contract? i know you are a current fed so i assume you are aware of the above but think long term and not just the current pay. i have 33 years in and in a year, i'll be old enough (but still VERY young relatively speaking) to retire with a very nice pension, and a fat TSP. My sister, who works for a contractor and is several years older, has no forecast retirement date because her company does not match her 401k and they have no pension. i assume you are young but i'm just sharing experience from someone on the back end of this thing and i'm SO grateful i never jumped ship for a little more money (and i could have many times). The govt has paid for 2 master's degrees for me (both of which i was able to get going full time while getting full salary) -- something no contractor on earth would do.
habu987  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:10:12 AM(UTC)
habu987

United States

Originally Posted by: FedCivServ Go to Quoted Post
Only you can decide what means the most to you. I can tell you this: I guarantee your contractor company does not have a defined pension plan (and a 401k is not a defined pension plan). The Govt has not only a pension, but the TSP (our version of a 401k), tremendous insurance and great benefits. AND 2 words: job security. What happens if you quit and move away and in 6 months the contractor loses the contract? i know you are a current fed so i assume you are aware of the above but think long term and not just the current pay. i have 33 years in and in a year, i'll be old enough (but still VERY young relatively speaking) to retire with a very nice pension, and a fat TSP. My sister, who works for a contractor and is several years older, has no forecast retirement date because her company does not match her 401k and they have no pension. i assume you are young but i'm just sharing experience from someone on the back end of this thing and i'm SO grateful i never jumped ship for a little more money (and i could have many times). The govt has paid for 2 master's degrees for me (both of which i was able to get going full time while getting full salary) -- something no contractor on earth would do.

Just to interject--it all depends on the contractor. I worked for Deloitte, among other contractor firms, in the past before I went fed, and they do offer a pension along with a 401k (though their 401k match isn't as good as the government's), and offer sponsorship for graduate degrees. If I had stayed my entire career at Deloitte, I could retire in my mid 50s with a salary likely in the $300-800k range, a very fat pension, and a good 401k.

Based on the contractors I've worked at, I'd say the government's major advantage is primarily just job security (and even that isn't really a factor at the major contractors such as Deloitte), there are two other contracting firms besides Deloitte I've worked at that have benefits just as good as the government's and a much, much higher salary ceiling.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:12:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

habu987  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:46:20 AM(UTC)
habu987

United States

Oh, sure, not every contractor is a Deloitte. Prior to my time at Deloitte, I worked for one that was one of those low paying body shops.

I just was pointing out that you can't paint every federal contractor with the same broad brush that they're all low paying body shops.
King_Fed  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:27:00 PM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: habu987 Go to Quoted Post
Oh, sure, not every contractor is a Deloitte. Prior to my time at Deloitte, I worked for one that was one of those low paying body shops.

I just was pointing out that you can't paint every federal contractor with the same broad brush that they're all low paying body shops.

I agree with you... speaking with some of our contractors, they have nice packages. I normally speak with the IT folks, so that might be the reason.

I personally know at least one that decided to stay a contractor when offered a gov't job. He explained his package and pay and decided to stay a contractor. But then, he is a walking book... guy knows his stuff.... and the company rewards him for it. He might not be a good example of the average contractor. We had to let one go a couple of weeks ago... LOL

Sorry and great people on both sides of the fence.

Edited by user Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:27:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed