Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gama  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2018 9:58:40 AM(UTC)
gama

Groups: Registered
United States

As a federal employee and first responder on 9/11, I now find myself with cancer. I have been being screened by the WTC medical people for the last 7 years with no big issues. Now that cancer has surfaced and it has been accepted/certified as a result of 9/1, I would like to know if I am eligible for a workmans compensation award. I am able to work at this time but plan on retiring in 6 months. My claim will be supported medically but I am not sure how OWCP treats tests types of claims. PS I am aware of attorneys ability to sue under the Zgroda Bill, but what about OWCP?

Thanks in advance.....
edalder  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:34:37 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 192 time(s) in 167 post(s)
Essentially, the cancer likely will have to affect an organ that is eligible for a scheduled award since your cancer condition does not appear to affect your ability to work at your usual Federal job. Since the cancer was only recently diagnosed, you are well within the statute of limitations for filing a claim with OWCP.

The listing of scheduled awards can be found at 5 USC 8101 et seq and in the code of Federal Regulations. Google the term "scheduled award" to pop up more info.
Kivi
gama  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 2:15:20 PM(UTC)
gama

United States

Thanks for the info....its prostate cancer which was determined by the docs to be related to first responder time spent at ground zero. I have not been able to find what OWCP does with these types of cases....is there an award for this? I’m sure they will handle treatment/follow up care ..any idea
LeroyToliver  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 12:13:33 PM(UTC)
LeroyToliver

United States

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Get in touch with LEOS PROTECTION they will help you connect the dots which are obvious to injured workers yet invisible to claims examiners unless written out in a specific language they speak.
edalder  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:43:26 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 192 time(s) in 167 post(s)
Just checked the list of schedule awards and the prostate is not on it. However, cancer is an unpredictable condition and known to spread. I would file a claim with OWCP just to protect yourself (and your family) and to get your medical costs covered. If you need surgery and are still working, you can file for loss of wages and get compensated for the time off for recovery.

If the prostate cancer does affect "sexual functioning" of the penis that may entitle you to a scheduled award for the pensis. Also, if the cancer does spread to another organ, such as a kidney, that one is on the scheduled award list and you might get compensated for the kidney rather than the prostate, using my example..

You don't want to wait since you know there is a causal relationship present. If you wait too long, you risk getting your OWCP claim denied on a statute of limitations basis if the worst case scenario develops.

Hopefully, it won't, but better "safe than sorry"..
Kivi
gama  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2022 2:46:14 AM(UTC)
gama

United States

So......After 5 years and after providing much documentation, and after having my cancerous prostate removed, my conditions have been accepted and the DMA's 9 page report has rated the following, Penile impairment 73%, Prostate Impairment 100% and bladder impairment 38%. Not sure what else I should take from the report or if any award will be made so still waiting.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed