Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Postalcarrier2018  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:16:16 PM(UTC)
Postalcarrier2018

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I deliver to a mounted route and I see all kinds of problems...

1. They use the curbside mail box....a lot of times I open the mail box and there is an Amazon package in there, so if I have a package that would normally fit in the box, now it doesn't fit. I have even seen instances where the Amazon package barely fits the mailbox itself and now there is barely any more room for the mail especially on 3rd bundle days.

2. They mis-deliver the packages....sometimes I open the mail box with the flag up, for example, 1 smith street...and there is an Amazon package in there for 18 smith street or some other address...I know we all make mistakes but what is the correct procedure here? What would you do?

3. I've seen this many times too...they are too lazy to deliver the package to the front door so they leave the package on top of the curbside mailbox....one time it was even raining out. Makes matters worse the customer at that house probably thinks we USPS did it...

These problems plus a few others just adds more work and stress to this job and I don't think there is much we can do about it...speak to the guy if we see him? They'll probably just tell us to "f off".....I don't think they are trained or Amazon even bothers to hold them accountable for what they do out there.

Seadogg  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:29:53 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 331 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Postalcarrier2018 Go to Quoted Post

1. They use the curbside mail box....a lot of times I open the mail box and there is an Amazon package in there, so if I have a package that would normally fit in the box, now it doesn't fit. I have even seen instances where the Amazon package barely fits the mailbox itself and now there is barely any more room for the mail especially on 3rd bundle days.

2. They mis-deliver the packages....sometimes I open the mail box with the flag up, for example, 1 smith street...and there is an Amazon package in there for 18 smith street or some other address...I know we all make mistakes but what is the correct procedure here? What would you do?

3. I've seen this many times too...they are too lazy to deliver the package to the front door so they leave the package on top of the curbside mailbox....one time it was even raining out. Makes matters worse the customer at that house probably thinks we USPS did it...

These problems plus a few others just adds more work and stress to this job and I don't think there is much we can do about it...speak to the guy if we see him? They'll probably just tell us to "f off".....I don't think they are trained or Amazon even bothers to hold them accountable for what they do out there.

It is illegal for them to use our mailboxes. In the first two cases, what you should do is take the package out, bring it back to the office and give it to your boss. They will most likely send it back postage-due.

I've heard that the Amazon drivers are fired when they do this, so I'm surprised you are seeing it so much. Are you sure some of them aren't our Amazon packages?

Edited by user Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:30:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Seadogg for this useful post.
RodOrRob on 1/31/2018(UTC)
Postalcarrier2018  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:36:21 PM(UTC)
Postalcarrier2018

United States

Originally Posted by: Seadogg Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Postalcarrier2018 Go to Quoted Post

It is illegal for them to use our mailboxes. In the first two cases, what you should do is take the package out, bring it back to the office and give it to your boss. They will most likely send it back postage-due.

I've heard that the Amazon drivers are fired when they do this, so I'm surprised you are seeing it so much. Are you sure some of them aren't our Amazon packages?

I know it is illegal for them to do it...UPS/FedEx does it too but not as extreme. Even when the packages don't fit the curbside mailbox and these Amazon delivery people have to walk to the front door? I see these packages on the edge of the porch or step....like the extra 5 steps would have killed them.

Some Amazon packages are USPS labeled sure I saw some yesterday in the mailbox that were delivered on Sunday by a CCA.

Postalcarrier2018  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:45:22 PM(UTC)
Postalcarrier2018

United States

WOW!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ekr2Iz09L0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZOvoRRIXAo

https://amazon.pissedcon...ery-201801071164238.html

This is the epitome of what I'm talking about.

I understand they are in a rush and are paid by the amount of packages they deliver in a certain amount of time but they can't use some common sense....package on top of a curbside mounted box? I don't think they would like that if that happened to them...

Edited by user Tuesday, January 30, 2018 10:05:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

z165012  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 3:27:57 AM(UTC)
z165012

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 19 post(s)
my old station did amazon, if there was amazon in the mail box carriers were supposed to bring it back and leave a postage due slip (peach slip that recently changed to a door sticky note)...my new current station doesn't do amazon...

when I started the carriers were allowed to leave stuff in the box on Sunday/Holiday, but when I left that station they were not allowed to leave anything in the box. I'm sure some of those little bubble mailers that had like a sticker in it or whatever blew away, but that was policy...
mnmailman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:39:10 AM(UTC)
mnmailman

United States

Was thanked: 852 time(s) in 636 post(s)
lousy service sounds like what a lot

of postal carriers do too

get used to it

their numbers will only

grow while ours will

shrink

<g>

Edited by user Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:40:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Question authority.
John Henry  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:21:26 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mnmailman Go to Quoted Post

get used to it

their numbers will only

grow while ours will

shrink

<g>

Of course they don't consider it lousy they see a nice receptacle to put their stuff in and the don't fear the consequences of using our box. Unlike a professional UPS driver who knows that eventually they will hear about the part time Amazon Logistics guy just gives "the government", in fact us the finger. I can't imagine the old rules of trying to get postage due are still in effect. We are on camera because we drop a parcel from knee high, can you imagine us being all over YouTube stealing people's parcels and trying to hold them hostage for postage due in today's environment.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:22:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
mnmailman on 1/31/2018(UTC)
mnmailman  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:02:31 AM(UTC)
mnmailman

United States

Originally Posted by: John Henry Go to Quoted Post

get used to it

their numbers will only

grow while ours will

shrink

<g>

Of course they don't consider it lousy they see a nice receptacle to put their stuff in and the don't fear the consequences of using our box. Unlike a professional UPS driver who knows that eventually they will hear about the part time Amazon Logistics guy just gives "the government", in fact us the finger. I can't imagine the old rules of trying to get postage due are still in effect. We are on camera because we drop a parcel from knee high, can you imagine us being all over YouTube stealing people's parcels and trying to hold them hostage for postage due in today's environment.

right on

postage due ?

about as efficient these

days as the cfs is.

hell, we get 3c mail in

dps everyday that has

no business being there

<g>
Question authority.
PhaseIVDBCS  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:52:54 AM(UTC)
PhaseIVDBCS

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Mnmailman....

As far as the 3c, if it has an address and has been through the DIOSS, if it does not already have a bar code, we have to DPS it. The carrier stuporvisor for one of the stations I used to DPS was notorious for sending back trays of EDDM (Every Door Direct Mail for newbies) to be "upgraded" and ran with the DPS. The trays of cards would have "EDDM" written in big letters across the top edge of the cards. They would even pull out the route separations before sending it back to the plant so we could return it to them with a note from our stuporvisor saying it can't be DPS'd without a physical address on each card for the DIOSS to add a barcode.

Edited by user Wednesday, January 31, 2018 11:55:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked PhaseIVDBCS for this useful post.
mnmailman  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 4:51:12 PM(UTC)
mnmailman

United States

Originally Posted by: PhaseIVDBCS Go to Quoted Post
Mnmailman....

As far as the 3c, if it has an address and has been through the DIOSS, if it does not already have a bar code, we have to DPS it. The carrier stuporvisor for one of the stations I used to DPS was notorious for sending back trays of EDDM (Every Door Direct Mail for newbies) to be "upgraded" and ran with the DPS. The trays of cards would have "EDDM" written in big letters across the top edge of the cards. They would even pull out the route separations before sending it back to the plant so we could return it to them with a note from our stuporvisor saying it can't be DPS'd without a physical address on each card for the DIOSS to add a barcode.

understood

but we get bulk mail

that the mailer is supposed

to be sorting for their discount

not our dps

<g>

Question authority.
Hannah Blector  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:44:18 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Was thanked: 1026 time(s) in 669 post(s)
Mnmailman....

understood

but we get bulk mail

not our dps

<g>

If it is not ECRWSS, it should be in the dps, imo. The problem is that we give mailers a discount for sorting when we know we are going to sort it again.
roger.d  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:53:06 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 467 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
Mnmailman....

understood

but we get bulk mail

not our dps

<g>

If it is not ECRWSS, it should be in the dps, imo. The problem is that we give mailers a discount for sorting when we know we are going to sort it again.

Incorrect.

Multiple times each week there is a full coverage in the DPS that should be carried as a 3rd bundle. You can identify these mailings by your route number being printed in above the address. The printer has sequenced this mailing already and received a postage discount. When the plant runs this mail, they are processing mail that should be going straight to the carriers case.

IE: wasting plant processing time.

But, the plant wants to "pad" their numbers.

Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
thanks 1 user thanked roger.d for this useful post.
Yukoncarrier8  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:08:44 PM(UTC)
Yukoncarrier8

United States

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 73 post(s)
John Henry- Postage due rule is still in effect. And the carrier is not 'stealing' a package placed illegally in a mail receptacle. The blame is to be placed on the Amazon private delivery
thanks 1 user thanked Yukoncarrier8 for this useful post.
RodOrRob on 1/31/2018(UTC)
Hannah Blector  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 6:53:32 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post
Mnmailman....

understood

but we get bulk mail

not our dps

<g>

Incorrect.

Multiple times each week there is a full coverage in the DPS that should be carried as a 3rd bundle. You can identify these mailings by your route number being printed in above the address. The printer has sequenced this mailing already and received a postage discount. When the plant runs this mail, they are processing mail that should be going straight to the carriers case.

I don't get what is "not true". You may disagree with my opinion. You refer to full coverage that should be carried as a 3rd bundle. I was stating my opinion that anything less than ECRWSS discount mail should be in the DPS. We are supposed to case anything less than ECRWSS (ECRWSH, for example). So why should mailings less than WSS not be in the DPS?

I did not say you did not get full coverage in your DPS and I did not say full coverage should be in your DPS.

The route number being on the mail is not the key factor. There are a variety of discounts that involve carrier routing, including ECRLOT. It is the percentage of coverage that should determine whether it is in the DPS, just like it should determine what is supposed to be carried as a 3rd bundle. You don't carry ECRLOT as a 3rd bundle, do you?
John Henry  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:07:51 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Yukoncarrier8 Go to Quoted Post
John Henry- Postage due rule is still in effect. And the carrier is not 'stealing' a package placed illegally in a mail receptacle. The blame is to be placed on the Amazon private delivery

Just wait until the video goes viral.
postalvet  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:12:02 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2726 time(s) in 2128 post(s)
Mnmailman....

understood

but we get bulk mail

not our dps

<g>

Incorrect.

I don't get what is "not true". You may disagree with my opinion. You refer to full coverage that should be carried as a 3rd bundle. I was stating my opinion that anything less than ECRWSS discount mail should be in the DPS. We are supposed to case anything less than ECRWSS (ECRWSH, for example). So why should mailings less than WSS not be in the DPS?

I did not say you did not get full coverage in your DPS and I did not say full coverage should be in your DPS.

The route number being on the mail is not the key factor. There are a variety of discounts that involve carrier routing, including ECRLOT. It is the percentage of coverage that should determine whether it is in the DPS, just like it should determine what is supposed to be carried as a 3rd bundle. You don't carry ECRLOT as a 3rd bundle, do you?

I feel your pain.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
roger.d  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:14:15 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 467 post(s)
Mnmailman....

understood

but we get bulk mail

not our dps

<g>

Incorrect.

I'm not up on all the acronyms.

I do know we are receiving mail that has no business being run into the DPS. We even receive flats that were in order, but now out of order because the plant ran them through the flat sorter.

Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
Hannah Blector  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:20:35 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

ECR is enhanced carrier route.

LOT is line of travel and just has to meet the minimum number for a carrier route bundle. The bundles of flats you break open if you don't have FSS are ECRLOT, generally.

WSH is Walk Sequence High Density and meets the next discount level based upon a percentage of active deliveries.

WSS is Walk Sequence Saturation. It is 75% of all active deliveries (factors in mostly with a mixed business/residential route) or 90% of active residential deliveries.
Hannah Blector  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:24:08 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

We also get in our flats a lot of mail for which the mailer paid discounted letter postage (like those sam's club letters).

When we case those ruined sequenced mailings, I often think it is because some manager or employee in the plant was trying to bump their machine numbers for some reason.

Lots of waste due to mismanagement and no accountability.
mnmailman  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:55:24 PM(UTC)
mnmailman

United States

Mnmailman....

understood

but we get bulk mail

not our dps

<g>

Incorrect.

exactly

<g>
Question authority.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed