Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ellere  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:47:39 PM(UTC)
ellere

Groups: Registered

I know this has come up before in previous threads, but i did not see a thread dedicated just to this - in some research I found this:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/clinton/eo12968.html (source)

EXECUTIVE ORDER #12968

ACCESS TO CLASSIFIED INFORMATION

(e) No negative inference concerning the standards in this section may be raised solely on the basis of mental health counseling. Such counseling can be a positive factor in eligibility determinations. However, mental health counseling, where relevant to the adjudication of access to classified information, may justify further inquiry to determine whether the standards of subsection (b) of this section are satisfied, and mental health may be considered where it directly relates to those standards.
--------------------------------

I know I had gotten flak in the past about how taking anti-depressants is a HUGE no no when getting a clearance, which in some cases, I'm sure it can be, BUT I just wanted to post this for the people who have either had PTSD/depression/anxiety/whatever that may be wondering if seeing a mental health professional would revoke or prevent you from getting a security clearance.

The answer is that seeing a mental health professional in and of itself will NOT disqualify you from getting a clearance. Will it have to be investigated further? Sure. So i just wanted to put this out there because I know that some people are scared to say something, or afraid for their clearance. Don't be, just be honest, talk with your doctor about it, and as long as you're not an axe wielding murderer and as long as the condition does not hinder your ability to do the job, you will be fine.
PERSEC  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 1:14:14 AM(UTC)
PERSEC

Taking anti-depressants or seeing a mental health proffesional is not a huge no-no when getting virtually any level of clearance.

Your mental health proffesional or doctor will will be interviewed, esspecially if it's for a TS clearance to ask for your prognosis, and whether your condition would have an effect on your judgement or ability to protect information, or cause you to exhibit behaviors making you vulnerable to blackmail, etc.

Beyond that, no biggie. A LOT of people are on antidepressants.

It could keep you from getting an interim clearance while the investigation is going depending on the agency and security officer policies/opinions.
BackGdInvestigator  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 6:36:44 AM(UTC)
BackGdInvestigator

PERSEC is correct. The only thing the investigator is interested in is whether the provider is concerned that you may not be able to hold a confidence or understand the need to do so, and if you are following your treatment plan.

This is one area of the BI that almost everyone needlessly fears.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Scout0315  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 20, 2009 2:17:00 PM(UTC)
Scout0315

I also have a security clearance. I have had it re-certified since diagnose, depression, anxiety, etc all part of life. Most face it from time to time, especially if you carry a gun as part of your job description.

Be truthful on your questionnaire. May take some more difficult questions, but as long as you seek help before your symptoms get the best of you, such as DUI, spousal abuse, sleep issues, just bad judgment calls.
"From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")
ellere  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:27:32 AM(UTC)
ellere

To what extent does the adjudicator have to view/review a persons medical file? My impression is that they have a standard list of questions they as the doctor, and make their decision from there, but would the adjudicator bother to/need to ask for/look at personal files?

Random thought, I read somewhere that people diagnosed with depression are actually much less likely to perform acts of espionage, a variety of reasons all probably depending on your flavor of depression, i just thought it was interesting to read that from a doctor.
BackGdInvestigator  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:53:07 AM(UTC)
BackGdInvestigator

Adjudicators rarely look at the actual files. They use the synopsis from the investigator's report. A record (for anything) might be requested if there is a gray area or if the information may cause a negative adjudication.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed