Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
happywappy  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:28:00 PM(UTC)
happywappy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rbr Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: happywappy Go to Quoted Post
In regards to this... (I couldn't tolerate how long the quotes got, so deleted all the old ones)

"From what I've been told, the first few months are conducting various training and shadowing of veteran ISOs and after a few months you go to a 5-week residential course at FLETC for additional training. Upon completion, you return to your field office/service center to begin adjudicating cases. That time line makes sense in regard to your statement about the BI needing to be complete prior to full system access. For me, I don't really care what I initially do other than the fact that I would like to have a steady paying job ASAP. Hopefully the interim comes through for me so I can get a FO right away, but if not I will continue to actively pursue the other opportunities that I have."

Maybe my experience has been different because I work at a service center, but I didn't shadow any veterans or anybody at all. I took a week or so to get all my systems accesses and take mandatory annual security trainings online, I had a week of general immigration overview (about 85-90% of which was not applicable to my job), and then went straight to reviewing/"paper adjudicating" petitions for about 6 weeks before I got actual training which was about a week and a half long.

I'm 2.5 months into the job now and basically performing the full scope of my duties already. The next BASIC starts on March 8, but I've not been told I'll be attending it. Apparently there's a LONG list of ISOs who EOD'ed before me and they're sending people in chronological order by EOD date. But coworkers tell me that u don't necessary learn how to do your job at BASIC. It's just more in depth general immigration overview.

Great information! I am being considered for a position in a Field Office which I've been told is a little different environment from a Service Center. However, your description sounds just about right in regards to how government jobs work. I've also been told that the procedures can be dramatically different from one location to the next. I agree about BASIC in that I don't think it will be beneficial in the day to day aspect of the job, but I think it would be great to go and learn the in's and outs of the country's immigration process. Depending on where the final FY18 budget falls, there could be the ability to send more people in the near future. If I get this job, I wouldn't expect that I would go until early Fall (assuming I start in April).

From my understanding and what I've been told at my office, uscis is practically (like 95%) self-funded by the fees we collect. We don't rely on Congress for our budget which is why a govt shut down hardly ever affects the vast majority of uscis employees. So it's not the budget that's keeping people from going to BASIC sooner. It's the fact that uscis hired A LOT of new ISOs, there's only so many people who can go to FLETC at a time, probably for space/accommodations reasons.

The schedule that I got for BASIC training shows that sessions are scheduled almost back to back with about a week and a half break in between sessions.

At the csc townhall meeting, it was said that we (at csc alone) need to hire another couple hundred people this fiscal year. This is on top of the few hundred who were hired last fiscal year. We rolling in money, lol.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:30:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Exit7A  
#22 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 4:44:59 PM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MidwestGator Go to Quoted Post
My spouse also had an active secret DOD and had to wait 8 months for a DHS PT investigation. To my knowledge, DHS is the only agency that does this.

RBR/Happy, what field office? I am also going through the process with uscis

I am being considered for a ISO position in Northern CA....still waiting on the FO.

So how's the job thing working for you...:)...which offer number is this one?
That's all I got to say about that.
rbr  
#23 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 4:53:08 PM(UTC)
rbr

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Exit7A Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MidwestGator Go to Quoted Post
My spouse also had an active secret DOD and had to wait 8 months for a DHS PT investigation. To my knowledge, DHS is the only agency that does this.

RBR/Happy, what field office? I am also going through the process with uscis

I am being considered for a ISO position in Northern CA....still waiting on the FO.

So how's the job thing working for you...:)...which offer number is this one?

Congratulation's you found one of my old posts describing the USCIS position which are easily available to anyone who clicks on my name (because that's how Fedsoup works)......Maybe if you knew how to read then you would know the answer to that question. Once again someone with nothing better to do with their life than to troll my old posts.....it's sad really.
ISO 1
APPL: 11/15/17
TO 1/25/18
E-QIP: 1/31/18
PRE-CLEAR DENY 2/27/18
BI INTER 3/13/18
BI COMPLETE 04/03/18
EOD TBD
Rss Feed  Atom Feed