Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Security Clearance

A security clearance is a status granted to individuals allowing them access to classified information. Those trying to get a clearance may have questions such as how does one go about attaining a clearance? And, what are the different levels? As well as other questions. This area will allow those that have clearances offer advice and suggestions to those inquiring about clearances or upgrading their clearances.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cyber_ninja  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 7:19:35 AM(UTC)
cyber_ninja

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I got my CJO around March 2015, BI finished August 2015, third poly November 2015. This is for a DoD position with TS/SCI clearance. Pretty much nothing since then. I check in with my HR person every few months but the response is the same: still in active investigation.

I haven't been paying attention to the state of the clearance system of late. Is it safe to assume that I am just caught up in this horrendous backlog? Should I just abandon all hope and move on? I would appreciate any stories you have, or any advice you could offer.
liaisonguy  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 19, 2018 8:58:39 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
You should contact your congressperson. Someone is sitting on your file, and they ought to be embarrassed. Keep in mind the resolution may be a SOR that they didn't want to issue, but will be finally forced to.
thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
cyber_ninja on 3/30/2018(UTC), itallgood540 on 3/31/2018(UTC)
waitingOutSequester  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2018 9:25:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
3 years usually means one of two things: the security people completely screwed up or they don’t want to issue a clearance and are hoping you’ll withdraw from the process if it takes long enough. Either way, I would either contact my Congressman or move on with my life.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
cyber_ninja on 3/30/2018(UTC)
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2018 5:12:33 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 812 time(s) in 673 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cyber_ninja Go to Quoted Post
I check in with my HR person every few months but the response is the same: still in active investigation.

Just curious... do they ever reach out to you, like to make sure you're still interested or anything?

I don't know if you would get anything at this point, but a privacy act/freedom of information act request might at least get something. I just don't know if that will get any results if the case is still "open."
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
BackGdInvestigator  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2018 9:26:07 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 65 post(s)
The backlog involves too many cases and not enough investigators (to really simplify the issue). If your Bl closed three years ago, your case is sitting at the Agency somewhere.
*DISCLAIMER*Correctly filling out your security forms will not guarantee you a clearance in 3 months BUT be sloppy and your case will be in the field a heck of a lot longer, guaranteed.
imadaygo  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 04, 2018 1:27:59 PM(UTC)
imadaygo

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
To the OP, I am in the exact same boat. Interviewed with IC Agency in Feb. of 2015, CJO in March or very early April 2015. I call in once a month and am told I am still "in the process." I went through all of the psysh/poly stuff in 2015. BI started in March 2016 and i think went through the end of 2016. Apart from some minor things in between end of 2016 and now, I did have to send them some documents in October of last year (2017), but that's the last time I have had to do anything. Never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be in this position three years later lol.

Best of luck on the rest of your process!

Edited by user Sunday, March 04, 2018 1:30:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked imadaygo for this useful post.
FatHappyCat  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2018 4:03:19 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 78 post(s)
Originally Posted by: liaisonguy Go to Quoted Post
You should contact your congressperson. Someone is sitting on your file, and they ought to be embarrassed. Keep in mind the resolution may be a SOR that they didn't want to issue, but will be finally forced to.

Why would an agency not want to issue an SOR for?
cyber_ninja  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 7:31:04 AM(UTC)
cyber_ninja

United States

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
I check in with my HR person every few months but the response is the same: still in active investigation.

Just curious... do they ever reach out to you, like to make sure you're still interested or anything?

I don't know if you would get anything at this point, but a privacy act/freedom of information act request might at least get something. I just don't know if that will get any results if the case is still "open."

They did one time about 18 months ago.

FatHappyCat  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 4:58:13 PM(UTC)

You may need to find out who the security manager is. I'll be honest - most HR are clueless when it comes to security background checks. If they don't hear anything from the SM they just assume it's 'in the works'. Realistically it could of been cleared already or maybe an SOR was issued. HR would never get that information and for the most part, security manager's don't just check up on people daily.
Fed Investigator  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:00:12 PM(UTC)
Fed Investigator

Was thanked: 139 time(s) in 116 post(s)
I am thoroughly disgusted about the management of the security clearance program. It is unconscionable that it takes this long.

thanks 1 user thanked Fed Investigator for this useful post.
cyber_ninja  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 10:30:23 AM(UTC)
cyber_ninja

United States

Originally Posted by: FatHappyCat Go to Quoted Post
You may need to find out who the security manager is. I'll be honest - most HR are clueless when it comes to security background checks. If they don't hear anything from the SM they just assume it's 'in the works'. Realistically it could of been cleared already or maybe an SOR was issued. HR would never get that information and for the most part, security manager's don't just check up on people daily.

I call and email the HR person regularly but the response is always the same. The program manager keeps referring me back tot he HR person. I've asked for the security person contact number but they will not give it. The HR person basically said that security is a completely separate org and the only info they have is what is in the computer.
cyber_ninja  
#12 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 10:31:50 AM(UTC)
cyber_ninja

United States

Originally Posted by: Fed Investigator Go to Quoted Post
I am thoroughly disgusted about the management of the security clearance program. It is unconscionable that it takes this long.

I knew I would be in for a long ride but this is over the top. I actually don't even care what the answer is now I just want to know so I can close this chapter off and move on. There was a time when I thought this was the most important thing I would ever do, but that feeling has faded away to ambivalence.
thanks 1 user thanked cyber_ninja for this useful post.
waitingames on 4/2/2018(UTC)
waitingOutSequester  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:15:35 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Did you ever contact your Senator or Congressmen?
cyber_ninja on 4/20/2018(UTC)
cyber_ninja  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 3:50:12 PM(UTC)
cyber_ninja

United States

Originally Posted by: waitingOutSequester Go to Quoted Post
Did you ever contact your Senator or Congressmen?

Yes, no luck. No response.
someoldguy  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:29:57 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 812 time(s) in 673 post(s)
I knew I would be in for a long ride but this is over the top. I actually don't even care what the answer is now I just want to know so I can close this chapter off and move on. There was a time when I thought this was the most important thing I would ever do, but that feeling has faded away to ambivalence.

You've probably read my other posts where I reported how it took over three years for an IC agency to reach final adjudication on the periodic update on my TS/SCI as a contractor. I was by no means the only person at that company in the same boat. So this sort of wait is not entirely unprecedented.

Doesn't make it any better though.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
aliu121  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:29:41 AM(UTC)
aliu121

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Dont worry you're not alone in this. Im currently at the 3 year mark this week. Congress/senate hasnt done much for me. Ive been doing a lot of unclassified work and its getting to the point where I am looking outside of the government space, but then again we are this far.
thanks 1 user thanked aliu121 for this useful post.
FatHappyCat  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2018 10:10:58 PM(UTC)

What agency is this for?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed