Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bmj2  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2018 5:42:37 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Ok, so yesterday I was asked again when I plan to retire. I've hit my MRA, but am not yet 60.

Here's the back story. Typical science/engineering career, worked my way up over time to head of a lab section. Pretty much as high as you can go as a civilian here, most leadership positions are held by military and are very few civilians above GS13. So, a couple years ago, just after I reached my MRA, I was management directed reassigned into a non job to make room for a no colonel left behind hire. Over those two years I have been assigned less and less work of value and more daily administrivia. I'm excluded from more and more meetings, esp those that fall within my area of expertise.

Earlier this year a coworker, roughly my same age, head of a different lab section was also reassigned to a lesser job where he now reports to the 30 something who replaced him.

Pretty obvious what they want. Just needed to vent.
DroneBee  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2018 10:04:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 93 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bmj2 Go to Quoted Post
Ok, so yesterday I was asked again when I plan to retire. I've hit my MRA, but am not yet 60.

What did you respond to the question?

Here's the back story. Typical science/engineering career, worked my way up over time to head of a lab section. Pretty much as high as you can go as a civilian here, most leadership positions are held by military and are very few civilians above GS13. So, a couple years ago, just after I reached my MRA, I was management directed reassigned into a non job to make room for a no colonel left behind hire.

Ha! Great rule for colonels - until leadership realizes that colonels don't want to do anything, and just want THEIR leadership jobs.

Over those two years I have been assigned less and less work of value and more daily administrivia. I'm excluded from more and more meetings, esp those that fall within my area of expertise.

Usually happens - the people with the knowledge are excluded.

Earlier this year a coworker, roughly my same age, head of a different lab section was also reassigned to a lesser job where he now reports to the 30 something who replaced him.

Yeah - sorry about that. Very sad.

Don't let them have any satisfaction. On the other hand, you may want to parlay this into your favor. Look for higher graded jobs elsewhere and ask for really great recommendations - in fact, write it up yourself ("To whom it may concern..."). Make it so great that you will get another job, or be able to use it against them if they do anything untoward. Good luck and God Bless!

bmj2  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 03, 2018 5:04:27 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: DroneBee Go to Quoted Post

Don't let them have any satisfaction. On the other hand, you may want to parlay this into your favor. Look for higher graded jobs elsewhere and ask for really great recommendations - in fact, write it up yourself ("To whom it may concern..."). Make it so great that you will get another job, or be able to use it against them if they do anything untoward. Good luck and God Bless!

Told 'em I was too young to retire. No I don't plan to give them any satisfaction. The good thing about a military outfit is the boss rotates out every three years. Just a few months until this one is gone and hopefully the next will be capable. In the meantime, I am looking.

Thanks for the wishes.

frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2018 4:07:57 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 788 time(s) in 614 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DroneBee Go to Quoted Post

Told 'em I was too young to retire. No I don't plan to give them any satisfaction. The good thing about a military outfit is the boss rotates out every three years. Just a few months until this one is gone and hopefully the next will be capable. In the meantime, I am looking.

Thanks for the wishes.

Asking when someone is planning on retiring is a stupid question (perfect fodder for an EEO complaint) UNLESS the person has said they are planning on retiring soon.

And...NASA is always looking for engineering/scientist types...and we have positions all the way up to SES/SL/ST for them as well.... Just saying (and NASA is on its 6th straight year as the best place to work in the Federal Government...https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?g...&smax=500000&p=1 : 48 open positions GS14 and up right now, 26 open to people outside NASA..43 if you include GS13 positions)

Edited by user Monday, March 05, 2018 4:14:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
delphis on 3/12/2018(UTC)
Beam Reach  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2018 1:31:17 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 67 post(s)

Here's the back story. Typical science/engineering career, worked my way up over time to head of a lab section. Pretty much as high as you can go as a civilian here, most leadership positions are held by military and are very few civilians above GS13. So, a couple years ago, just after I reached my MRA, I was management directed reassigned into a non job to make room for a no colonel left behind hire. Over those two years I have been assigned less and less work of value and more daily administrivia. I'm excluded from more and more meetings, esp those that fall within my area of expertise.

My response would be "You've taken all my workload and you're paying me huge money to do the work of a GS-7... I'm never leaving this gig!"

No responsibilities, don't have to play kindergarten cop to a bunch of whiners, no pressure. I'd milk that thing, you've earned it.
bmj2  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2018 3:03:14 PM(UTC)

Asking when someone is planning on retiring is a stupid question (perfect fodder for an EEO complaint) UNLESS the person has said they are planning on retiring soon.

And...NASA is always looking for engineering/scientist types...and we have positions all the way up to SES/SL/ST for them as well.... Just saying (and NASA is on its 6th straight year as the best place to work in the Federal Government...https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?g...&smax=500000&p=1 : 48 open positions GS14 and up right now, 26 open to people outside NASA..43 if you include GS13 positions)

Thanks Frank. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been looking at NASA. Convincing the wife to move is the only thing stopping me right now. Kind of wonder what the secret it that makes it a best place to work.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 3/6/2018(UTC)
GWPDA  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2018 7:48:06 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 414 time(s) in 345 post(s)
bmj - this nonsense is why I gladly grabbed the Term GS-14. Everybody here is bloody well COUNTING on my disappearing after two,three or so years. And so am I. Great freedom in this.
thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
frankgonzalez  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2018 4:19:23 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 788 time(s) in 614 post(s)

Thanks Frank. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been looking at NASA. Convincing the wife to move is the only thing stopping me right now. Kind of wonder what the secret it that makes it a best place to work.

Respect...no real secret. Not to say there are no issues in NASA, but compared to DoD and DHS (my personal experiences), this place is wonderful!

Seriously...smiling is so common that it is rare to not be greeted with a smile!

As for moving...don't know where you are at right now, but we are in a few places...TX, FL, DC, MD, CA (North and South), VA, AL, MS, WV..
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
FedCivServ  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2018 5:07:48 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 118 post(s)
Actually it's basically illegal to ask someone when they are going to retire. And you could actually (if you were of that mindset) file a complaint of age discrimination based on what they have done to you. but as others point out, depending upon how much longer you want to work could: 1. just enjoy the reduced responsibility and higher pay; 2. find another job or 3. retire and then go get a contractor job and rake in the bucks. Being an engineer gives you MANY options...
SD Analyst on 3/12/2018(UTC)
HR Bubba  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2018 5:55:34 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 136 post(s)
Without getting into whether it's legal for them to ask you or not (I don't know), maybe a different approach. Tell them you plan on working until you reach FULL Social Security retirement age (70) and may revise it at that time depending on if you are ready to retire/financially able to retire. Based on that response, they may decide to put you into a more active role since you will be around for at least another 10 years.
SD Analyst on 3/12/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed