Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

7 Pages«<567
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chevy82  
#121 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2018 5:26:37 PM(UTC)
Chevy82

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 639 time(s) in 492 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TMHTE Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Chevy82 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Kaliino Go to Quoted Post
I wonder how many of you will receive a new job through this year's ACAP cycle.

Everyone I know ended up opting out before the hiring managers could call them.

You mean internal jobs were posted, internal candidates applied, and said internal candidates backed out?

That wouldn’t be bad. I applied for the most recent Mission Management posting. I would do IA/FDO, Targeting, and a few others.

No desire to do analysis for the most part.

You may be bored by CI if still looking at that...most people who want to do CI but don't want to do analysis really just want to do HUMINT.

It’s not Analysis that I’m not interested in, it’s more of the options/specialities in the career field. I would rather be doing something operational, and I admit I would very much rather be doing HUMINT. HUMINT, CI, and Security are the three fields that interest me the most. I understand there’s analysis involved in any of those, and I’m not opposed to that. But the Analysis field seems like I wouldn’t likely being analyzing the field I want to focus in, and even if I was there’s no guarantee I would remain in that focus.

someoldguy  
#122 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2018 5:39:10 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 655 post(s)
...but as with everything else in government, if you want to do cool stuff, you gotta play the long game.

This is a good point and TMHTE sums it up nicely... I've been trying to find words to express the same idea.

That is to say, if you get hired as an analyst, but you think you might like to try something else, you will certainly have the opportunity to do that, but it isn't going to happen quickly. It may take several years. Keep that in mind.

Also a good point about training, there are a lot of training opportunities. I'm not saying everybody is going to get a chance to go to all training, but you may be able to put yourself in a better position to make a move by taking a class here and there.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 2 users thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
ringslider on 8/12/2018(UTC), rebels8 on 8/13/2018(UTC)
Chevy82  
#123 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2018 7:02:36 PM(UTC)
Chevy82

Was thanked: 639 time(s) in 492 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
...but as with everything else in government, if you want to do cool stuff, you gotta play the long game.

This is a good point and TMHTE sums it up nicely... I've been trying to find words to express the same idea.

That is to say, if you get hired as an analyst, but you think you might like to try something else, you will certainly have the opportunity to do that, but it isn't going to happen quickly. It may take several years. Keep that in mind.

Also a good point about training, there are a lot of training opportunities. I'm not saying everybody is going to get a chance to go to all training, but you may be able to put yourself in a better position to make a move by taking a class here and there.

This is true. I've seen this many times in the military where someone had the course completed so they got a slot or position that had a lot of competition.
TMHTE  
#124 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2018 7:27:43 PM(UTC)
TMHTE

United States

Was thanked: 253 time(s) in 182 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kaliino Go to Quoted Post
I wonder how many of you will receive a new job through this year's ACAP cycle.

Everyone I know ended up opting out before the hiring managers could call them.

You mean internal jobs were posted, internal candidates applied, and said internal candidates backed out?

That wouldn’t be bad. I applied for the most recent Mission Management posting. I would do IA/FDO, Targeting, and a few others.

No desire to do analysis for the most part.

You may be bored by CI if still looking at that...most people who want to do CI but don't want to do analysis really just want to do HUMINT.

It’s not Analysis that I’m not interested in, it’s more of the options/specialities in the career field. I would rather be doing something operational, and I admit I would very much rather be doing HUMINT. HUMINT, CI, and Security are the three fields that interest me the most. I understand there’s analysis involved in any of those, and I’m not opposed to that. But the Analysis field seems like I wouldn’t likely being analyzing the field I want to focus in, and even if I was there’s no guarantee I would remain in that focus.

I can understand that. IMO "all source analyst" is such a broad career that it's hard to say what each one in each specialty does everyday. The general practice is the same (looking for information, which is arguably what every career field does to some degree) but the context, focuses, and how one goes about interpreting that information are totally different. A good analyst on Syrian politics wouldn't necessarily be a good fit for Chinese military capabilities or South Asia CI/CT...yet there are advocates for "plug and play" analysts with a uniform training standard. That might work in the military where people move every 2 or 3 years but the whole point of having civilian analysts in the first place is to have subject matter experts on hand. So that might make people wary of going into analysis when they could be put onto an account for which they have no interest or background.
thanks 1 user thanked TMHTE for this useful post.
rebels8 on 8/13/2018(UTC)
someoldguy  
#125 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 1:09:20 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 794 time(s) in 655 post(s)
I can understand that. IMO "all source analyst" is such a broad career that it's hard to say what each one in each specialty does everyday.

I still don't know how well-defined the "career specialties" in the analysis career field are. As somebody pointed out, the "career fields" are fairly new but they do reflect the various roles that have been around for a while (with the possible exception of Mission Management). However the "career specialties" seem to be rather artificial and, in some cases, quite broad.

Its a work in progress.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed