Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
someoldguy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 7, 2018 4:41:01 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 983 time(s) in 828 post(s)
A year or two ago I applied for a position with the Defense Logistics Agency. Shortly after applying I got an email with instructions on how to complete an online assessment. I don't know how well I did but I never heard anything further until I was notified I was not selected.

I've applied to a fair number of government jobs and other than the foreign service test, I only ever had to do the online assessment for that one job. And unlike the foreign service test, which is pretty much controlled by the State Dept and contracted out to Pearson, the online assessment I took for that DLA job was run by OPM (I think) on the USA Hire web site.

Are these assessments becoming more widely used? I was talking to someone who applied for a job with one of the intel agencies and he said he had to do a test and it sounded like the thing I did for DLA.

Anybody else have experience with these?
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 6:12:02 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I just applied for a job and received an email that stated I need to complete an online assessment. Apparently, the assessment takes about 3 hours! The assessment cannot be retaken until after 12 months. I'm hopeful someone can shed some light. The one I have to take has about 5 battery tests.
fedfin  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 9:11:51 AM(UTC)
fedfin

I have taken the USAHire assessment for an auditor position with DCAA. The assessment is valid for 12 months so if you apply for jobs that need this test, you do not need to re-take if you are within the 12 months time frame. And yes, it does take 3 to 4 hours but no need to take all of the test sections at once, you can come back and pick up where you left off. However, you will be given a deadline to complete the test. The questions are timed so make sure you are ready with a pen, paper, calculator and a quiet place!
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 9:34:36 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 983 time(s) in 828 post(s)
I saw an article online that said these online assessments are the modern day equivalent of the old civil service exam.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 3/16/2018(UTC)
SD Analyst  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 10:18:31 AM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 427 time(s) in 366 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
I saw an article online that said these online assessments are the modern day equivalent of the old civil service exam.

That is correct. They are slowing phasing testing back in, because (finally) they have realized that people LIE on their resumes. If everyone has to take the same standardized test, there is no lying going on there. You either pass or fail. I don't know if they use scores to rank you on a Register like in the old days. Those higher on the Register get interview/offers first.

I am one of the old folks who took Civil Service tests back in the day. I know quite a few people who failed them and had to retake and some that never could pass. It is the right thing to do, in my opinion. I work with way too many folks that would never have passed a Civil Service test. But their resume looked great!

Edited by user Friday, March 16, 2018 10:19:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

mrgregory29  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:46:14 PM(UTC)
mrgregory29

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just applied for a job with OPM and got the email to take this assessment. This is the first time i've ever had to take it. I'm convinced this is definitely a way to weed out people. Some people are just going to flat out not take it. Its long as hell lol so that will shorten the applicant pool from jump. Then if they actually grade it then will shrink it even more.

I've been working on it for two days and on the 2nd portion. I'm going to finish though!
TheRealOrange  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 2:59:54 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 169 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mrgregory29 Go to Quoted Post
I just applied for a job with OPM and got the email to take this assessment. This is the first time i've ever had to take it. I'm convinced this is definitely a way to weed out people. Some people are just going to flat out not take it. Its long as hell lol so that will shorten the applicant pool from jump. Then if they actually grade it then will shrink it even more.

I've been working on it for two days and on the 2nd portion. I'm going to finish though!

My guess is that is exactly the purpose. In the agencies I have worked, a couple have required completion of assessments in advance as "selective placement factors," or "selective factors." Rather than having the assessments completed after receiving rosters (certificates of eligible candidates), the agencies have the assessments completed up front so that applicants who cannot pass them are not invited to later assessments (like the interview). It is absolutely used as a qualification screen out. Here is some OPM information (especially the "initial appointments" information):

d.Written and performance tests -- Occupational series/positions with written and/or performance test requirements are identified in the section entitled test requirements. Written and performance tests are to be used as follows:

Initial appointments -- Tests are required for some occupational series, either for all applicants or for those applicants who do not meet specific requirements indicated in the standard. If a test is required, applicants who are subject to that test must pass or have previously passed it to be eligible for initial appointment. This includes competitive appointments, and appointments under most noncompetitive appointing authorities.

Inservice placement --

(1) Tests required by OPM. There are a few occupational series for which a test is required by OPM for inservice placement. For such series, agencies must use and applicants must pass the appropriate OPM test. Occupational series with such requirements are also identified in the Test Requirements section.

(2) Tests required by agencies. For positions for which OPM does not require a test, agencies may develop and use tests without OPM approval, as long as the test is part of a comprehensive set of assessment procedures used in ranking employees. The use and appropriateness of such tests are the responsibility of the agency. Agencies cannot, however, use existing OPM tests for such positions, unless specific approval has been received from OPM.

(3) How inservice applicants can be examined. In occupations other than those where OPM requires a test for inservice placement, if an agency prefers to use alternatives to testing (e.g., evaluation of training and experience, interview, performance appraisal) to measure qualifications, it can do so, or it may use a test as one of several tools in evaluating applicants. Tests can be used to determine basic eligibility (i.e., on a pass-fail basis) or as the sole basis for ranking inservice placement applicants, only when specific approval has been received from OPM.

(4) Performance tests. As a general guide, performance tests (e.g., typing proficiency tests) can be used to evaluate inservice placement applicants when, within the past 3 years, they have not performed successfully in a position that required proficiency in the skills needed for the position to be filled.

TheRealOrange  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 4:22:38 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 169 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SD Analyst Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post

That is correct. They are slowing phasing testing back in, because (finally) they have realized that people LIE on their resumes. If everyone has to take the same standardized test, there is no lying going on there. You either pass or fail. I don't know if they use scores to rank you on a Register like in the old days. Those higher on the Register get interview/offers first.

I am one of the old folks who took Civil Service tests back in the day. I know quite a few people who failed them and had to retake and some that never could pass. It is the right thing to do, in my opinion. I work with way too many folks that would never have passed a Civil Service test. But their resume looked great!

The applicant assessment at my current agency is an early screen out. That is, if you don't pass the test, your application is never scored, and you cannot make the roster or be invited for an interview. It's a Pass/Fail thing, so scores are not ranked for placement on the roster. Those who pass go through the usual rating/ranking after that (scoring the vacancy question responses, etc.). Those who fail are screened out and never rated/ranked on their resumes or vacancy question responses.

1stTimeFed  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 12:50:22 PM(UTC)
1stTimeFed

Originally Posted by: fedfin Go to Quoted Post
I have taken the USAHire assessment for an auditor position with DCAA. The assessment is valid for 12 months so if you apply for jobs that need this test, you do not need to re-take if you are within the 12 months time frame. And yes, it does take 3 to 4 hours but no need to take all of the test sections at once, you can come back and pick up where you left off. However, you will be given a deadline to complete the test. The questions are timed so make sure you are ready with a pen, paper, calculator and a quiet place!

I took the same online assessment for an auditor position with DCAA earlier this month. I just received notice yesterday I have been referred to a hiring manager. Have you heard anything? This is the first time I've ever taken that assessment and have never been a federal employee. All of this is very new to me.
fedfin  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 6, 2018 5:51:50 PM(UTC)
fedfin

Originally Posted by: 1stTimeFed Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: fedfin Go to Quoted Post

I took the same online assessment for an auditor position with DCAA earlier this month. I just received notice yesterday I have been referred to a hiring manager. Have you heard anything? This is the first time I've ever taken that assessment and have never been a federal employee. All of this is very new to me.

This was back in 2016 and ended up declining as I did not want to move for personal reasons.

Hope you get to interview. Good luck!
LawOrder  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 23, 2021 4:00:55 AM(UTC)
LawOrder

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Does the hiring manager or anyone in the department see the results of the assessment? If I apply for a position in my department that used this I wouldn’t want anyone to know if I didn’t score well.
spence  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 25, 2021 11:33:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 38 post(s)
I doubt anyone would know how you scored outside HR if you didn't score well enough to be referred.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed