Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SA_Applicant_Stats  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2018 1:03:58 PM(UTC)
SA_Applicant_Stats

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hey guys, I think that we make better progress when we remain accountable to other people. I have seen some older PFT posts but nothing recent. Use this to let us know where you started and where you are at since then. Especially your first self-reported PFT and any official PFT you have taken. Also if you want to share your workouts that could be useful as well, or your tips!

FBI PFT Guide:
https://www.fbijobs.gov/...ault/files/PFT_Guide.pdf

FBI PFT Protocol Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9PZ6vYq3I

I’ll start.
Self-PFT 2/19/2018
Sit Ups: 47
Sprint: 46.6
Push Ups: 44
1.5 Mile Run: 11:15
Pull Ups: 12

I have done a max set of pull ups since then (but not quite locking all the way out to be easier on the joints while practicing) and hit 23, after about 30 mins of light cardio. I used to do a lot of pull ups so regaining that number has been easier for me than most people, which is how I jumped. I was also fully rested for it.

I workout twice a day, doing lifting plus cardio in this rotation:
Pushing Exercises / Cardio
Pulling Exercises / Cardio
Legs / Cardio
Pushing Exercises / Cardio
Pulling Exercises / Cardio
Legs / Cardio
Rest Day / Cardio

My cardio I rotate and do HIIT twice a week, low impact cardio twice a week, sprints once a week, distance twice a week. I do abs with cardio about twice a week. I can share my exact workout if anyone is interested.
SA Timeline
App: 2/19/2018
P1 Inv: 2/20/2018
App on Hold: 2/22/2018 (Out of Country)
LadySA2018  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2018 9:58:47 AM(UTC)
LadySA2018

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Last mock PFT scores:
Sit-ups: 41
Sprint -54 s.
Pushups - 22
Run - 12:55

Workouts:
M/W/F - Alternate heavy lifting and Insanity
T/Th - Different sprint workouts on the track
Sat or Sun - Either run the PFT or a long run
Every night I alternate the 100 push-up challenge and add however many to equal 100 pushups or do 100-200 situps in as few sets as possible

Been consistently training since about the end of December and have seen great improvements. I have a very weak upper body so I am most proud of my 22 push-ups! I started at struggling to get 5 with correct form.

Speaking of push-ups --- Is anyone else experiencing pain in their shoulders due to the specific push-up protocol? I know flaring your elbows puts more stress on your shoulders as the cartilage moves away and there isn't as much cushion while you execute the move. As a result, I find that I am experiencing pain in my one shoulder. Any advice for relief? I did speak to a physical therapist friend who showed me how to engage my back more to take some pressure off my shoulders, but I am wondering if anyone is experiencing the same, and if so, if they have any best practices for providing relief and/or strengthening the muscles around to relieve the shoulders?

Edited by user Friday, March 09, 2018 10:04:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

emaichbe03  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2018 10:16:16 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
SA_Applicant_Stats - first, respek on your stats post in the other thread, that was great info and must have took a while. Which, leads me to my question - how you gots so much free time? Two a days?? Gotdamn.

LadySA2018 - you have to balance all the pushing with an equal amount of pulling work. Try reverse push ups (aka inverse rows) to balance out that push up work. Also, do some rotator cuff work. My shoulders are not great, but doing better, after a fair amount of pain from out of banace ratio of push to pull.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
LadySA2018 on 3/12/2018(UTC)
SA_Applicant_Stats  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2018 12:15:45 PM(UTC)
SA_Applicant_Stats

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: LadySA2018 Go to Quoted Post

Speaking of push-ups --- Is anyone else experiencing pain in their shoulders due to the specific push-up protocol? I know flaring your elbows puts more stress on your shoulders as the cartilage moves away and there isn't as much cushion while you execute the move. As a result, I find that I am experiencing pain in my one shoulder. Any advice for relief? I did speak to a physical therapist friend who showed me how to engage my back more to take some pressure off my shoulders, but I am wondering if anyone is experiencing the same, and if so, if they have any best practices for providing relief and/or strengthening the muscles around to relieve the shoulders?

There are a few exercises that will help other than what emaichbe03 said. Do Lateral Raises, taking a low weight (10lbs) dumbbell and while standing straight up raise it to just below 90 degrees out. You don't want to go too high but this should work the top of your shoulder and lats. Do 12-15 of these and rest. You can also do overhead press, using any type of weight standing or sitting, move the weight from shoulder height straight up above you.

Originally Posted by: emaichbe03 Go to Quoted Post
SA_Applicant_Stats - first, respek on your stats post in the other thread, that was great info and must have took a while. Which, leads me to my question - how you gots so much free time? Two a days?? Gotdamn.

I'm out of the country and live, work, and eat a 5 min walk away with no place to have a social life so basically, I just have a lot of time. I also have a work out partner which helps a lot with motivation.
SA Timeline
thanks 1 user thanked SA_Applicant_Stats for this useful post.
Inconceivable23  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 4:15:44 PM(UTC)
Inconceivable23

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)

LadySA2018 - you have to balance all the pushing with an equal amount of pulling work. Try reverse push ups (aka inverse rows) to balance out that push up work. Also, do some rotator cuff work. My shoulders are not great, but doing better, after a fair amount of pain from out of banace ratio of push to pull.

Building on this - I would suggest Athlean X videos on YouTube. Jeff Cavaliere is the best you’ll find for free in how to improve form and mitigate injury. It’s amazing how much better I feel just by tweaking my form in a few areas on some of the core exercises I do. There are literally hundreds of videos covering everything under the sun.
Application: 11/17
Phase I: 12/17
M&G: 1/30/18
Ranking: 3/6/18 - MC
Phase II: 5/18
PII Results: Pass
PFT: 6/18
thanks 1 user thanked Inconceivable23 for this useful post.
LadySA2018  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 8:25:33 AM(UTC)
LadySA2018

United States

Originally Posted by: Inconceivable23 Go to Quoted Post

Building on this - I would suggest Athlean X videos on YouTube. Jeff Cavaliere is the best you’ll find for free in how to improve form and mitigate injury. It’s amazing how much better I feel just by tweaking my form in a few areas on some of the core exercises I do. There are literally hundreds of videos covering everything under the sun.

I have now wasted half my work day watching Jeff's videos. Hah! He has some awesome content.
Inconceivable23  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 9:40:18 AM(UTC)
Inconceivable23

Originally Posted by: LadySA2018 Go to Quoted Post

I have now wasted half my work day watching Jeff's videos. Hah! He has some awesome content.

Haha - glad you're liking it, Jeff is the man. Hopefully you've seen a few of the vids with Jesse in there as well - adds some comic relief :).
SA_Applicant_Stats  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2018 4:13:01 PM(UTC)
SA_Applicant_Stats

Man
United States

Update for me. I did a longer run today, air was a bit cold and didn't know the distance ahead of time. Ended up running about 1.74 miles with a total time of 13:33. This makes my current mile and a half time 10:38ish without an end sprint since I didn't know the distance. I figure I could have made that sprint under 10:34 for the 5 point range. Keeping in mind this was not with doing the rest of the PFT first, although I did work out legs a few hours before.

How are your training sessions going?
SA Timeline
Inconceivable23  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 4:30:12 AM(UTC)
Inconceivable23

Originally Posted by: SA_Applicant_Stats Go to Quoted Post
Update for me. I did a longer run today, air was a bit cold and didn't know the distance ahead of time. Ended up running about 1.74 miles with a total time of 13:33. This makes my current mile and a half time 10:38ish without an end sprint since I didn't know the distance. I figure I could have made that sprint under 10:34 for the 5 point range. Keeping in mind this was not with doing the rest of the PFT first, although I did work out legs a few hours before.

Had a personal best on my 1.5 mile yesterday (after doing sit-ups) at 11:20. I'll take that as I started off in the 14 minute range a little over 2 months ago. These nor'easters aren't making track training very fun I can tell you that.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 20, 2018 6:25:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Raziel  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 2:52:46 PM(UTC)
Raziel

Man
United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SA_Applicant_Stats Go to Quoted Post

Had a personal best on my 1.5 mile yesterday (after doing sit-ups) at 11:20. I'll take that as I started of in the 14 minute range a little over 2 months ago. These nor'easters aren't making track training very fun I can tell you that.

That's really good! Grats on the new time.
Application: 10/17
P1: 11/17
M&G: 1/18
P2/PFT1/CAO: 03/18
Poly:4/18
Med:5/18
Background:5/18
thanks 1 user thanked Raziel for this useful post.
Inconceivable23 on 3/20/2018(UTC)
SA_Applicant_Stats  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 6:39:03 PM(UTC)
SA_Applicant_Stats

Man
United States

Had a personal best on my 1.5 mile yesterday (after doing sit-ups) at 11:20. I'll take that as I started of in the 14 minute range a little over 2 months ago. These nor'easters aren't making track training very fun I can tell you that.

That's a great improvement! Keep working on it and I'm sure when it's warmer you will increase even more in speeds. Doing it in the cold makes it so much more difficult in my opinion.
SA Timeline
thanks 1 user thanked SA_Applicant_Stats for this useful post.
Inconceivable23 on 3/20/2018(UTC)
Tango7  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 4:23:00 PM(UTC)
Tango7

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So I posted this long, carefully-crafted manifesto a few weeks ago in which I attempted to pour out my extensive (no, seriously) PFT experiences and advice and it never showed up here in the forum. I'm posting this as a sniff test to see if anything new is getting approved by the moderator or if I'm wasting my time.
Tango7  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 4:47:50 PM(UTC)
Tango7

United States

Good lord, where to start? As far as my credentials go, you guys are just going to have to trust me when I say that I speak from experience and I know what I’m talking about. When I first started researching the PFT, I was shocked at how few resources there were devoted to helping people ace this test. That’s why I’m posting this.

Ok, critical piece of advice number one- if you want to obliterate the PFT, you HAVE to be taking practice PFTs on a regular basis (like, at least once a week). THis will not only aid in muscle memory and help reduce test anxiety the day you actually take the official PFT, but it will also help you pinpoint your weaknesses so that you know what you still need to work on. Take the test and have someone who knows the protocol grade your sit-ups and push-ups. If you don’t have anyone around to help, then keep time yourself on the running portions and use your phone to video yourself doing the sit-ups and push-ups. Be honest with yourself when you watch the video and use the protocols to count your reps.

Advice nugget number two- if you are serious about maxing your PFT score, then you need to bite the bullet and buy one (if not multiple) of the FBI PFT-specific workout plans that are out there. I own them all, so I can tell you which ones are good and which ones suck. Stew Smith’s (www.stewsmith.com) FBI PFT plan is well-known and is a solid product for the price. He also has an FBI PFT smartphone app that has all the same information. Rob Shaul (www.militaryathlete.com) has a super-intense PFT regimen that also helped me quite a bit (I only recommend using this plan if you already have a considerable fitness base, however). Doug Rowe is a former SA and FBI FIT instructor who also has a simple, yet very effective workout plan (www.passthepft.com). Lastly, I recommend the ebook “Hacking the PFT” by Tommy O’Brien on Amazon. This book has lots of quick, practical PFT tricks that you won’t find in more formal workout plans.

Last piece of advice for this post- it is critical to have a PFT-day “routine” that you have tested ahead of time. This includes what you have for breakfast on test day, your snack/caffeine intake as the test time approaches, your warm-up routine at the track, and your cool-down/prep process in between events. Test the heck out of this stuff and find what works for you. This will prevent you from crapping the bed on test day because you decided (on a whim) to chug a Monster energy drink on the way to the track and it made you puke right after the sit-ups. Familiarity breeds comfort, so this routine will also help you combat test-day jitters.

Please let me know if you guys find this stuff helpful and I will post more. Thanks.
waiting29  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:41:12 PM(UTC)
waiting29

United States

Hi All,

So...a little background...I am in the older range for applying to FBI, was in the Army for 8 years, I run Obstacle Course Races (like Spartan, Tough Mudder, etc.) during the warmer season, have a labor intensive job, and am overall in decent shape. I can do fairly well on the pushups and sprint, but am just making it in sit-ups and the run. Like literally, right at the minimum to pass. My preapplication test:

S/U: 43
300M: 50sec
P/U: 35
1.5MI: 13:46

Total Score: 17

My problem is that I hardly do any training. I rely on my past military career and my daily life to get me through. I want to improve, but literally have very limited time. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how do you combat it? Please don't say, well you have to find the time. It's not as easy or plausible as it sounds. I appreciate any advice and am looking into those videos that were mentioned in previous threads.
I would definitely appreciate on any suggestions for quick, intense workouts or in home, no equipment type stuff. Also, very interested in improving the lower back muscles. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!

Edited by user Friday, May 18, 2018 4:54:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Applied: 3/12
PH1: 3/31
Results: 3/31
M&G: 4/18
PH2: 7/11
Inconceivable23  
#15 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 6:31:40 AM(UTC)
Inconceivable23

Originally Posted by: waiting29 Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

So...a little background...I am in the older range for applying to FBI, was in the Army for 8 years, I run Obstacle Corse Races (like Spartan, Tough Mudder, etc.) during the warmer season, have a labor intensive job, and am overall in decent shape. I can do fairly well on the pushups and sprint, but am just making it in sit-ups and the run. Like literally, right at the minimum to pass. My preapplication test:

My problem is that I hardly do any training. I rely on my past military career and my daily life to get me through. I want to improve, but literally have very limited time. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how do you combat it? Please don't say, well you have to find the time. It's not as easy or plausible as it sounds. I appreciate any advice and am looking into those videos that were mentioned in previous threads.
I would definitely appreciate on any suggestions for quick, intense workouts or in home, no equipment type stuff. Also, very interested in improving the lower back muscles. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!

For running - just do it. Plot out a good 2-3 mile route (or use a local track) and really work on pace if at all possible. I've included a pretty solid plan from a previous thread below - much of which you can do at home with minimal equipment, especially if you have a pull-up bar at home. You can sub out other triceps workouts for the dip like diamond push-ups or reverse bench dips. You could also do the leg routine in tabata style and incorporate burpees or something to really max out cardio if you're looking for time efficiency. I would also consider doing pretty much any other ab workout besides sit-ups since those are the hardest on your back (sounds like you have issues there). I would start/end every other workout with 3x12-15 sets of bird dogs (done slowly and controlled) to help your lower back strength. See here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2azbhhuKuM) for a video of that.

Workout Plan: https://forum.federalsou...s&t=46706#post517001

Good luck!
thanks 1 user thanked Inconceivable23 for this useful post.
waiting29 on 5/21/2018(UTC)
LadySA2018  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 6:52:48 AM(UTC)
LadySA2018

United States

Originally Posted by: waiting29 Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,

So...a little background...I am in the older range for applying to FBI, was in the Army for 8 years, I run Obstacle Corse Races (like Spartan, Tough Mudder, etc.) during the warmer season, have a labor intensive job, and am overall in decent shape. I can do fairly well on the pushups and sprint, but am just making it in sit-ups and the run. Like literally, right at the minimum to pass. My preapplication test:

Thanks in advance!!

I found it very helpful to alternate doing sit-ups and push-ups every night. It only takes a few minutes. I started off doing 100 reps in as few sets as possible then started practicing them timed once I got to sets of 50. To protect my neck, I cup my ears instead of lacing my hands behind my head so that I can't pull on it. This helped me increase reps substantially. I have passed the PFT but continue to practice my situps and pushups to further increase them. In order to improve your situps, you need to do situps. You can add planks, bird dogs, flutter kicks to continue to develop the muscles, but you will have to do the situps too.

For the run, you have to run. There is not getting around that. This whole process has been really time consuming between training physically/mentally and completing each step. It has also been very mentally draining. If you do not have the time or energy to invest to prepare yourself, you will need to ask yourself if you can commit to this career. It sounds harsh, but it is the reality of the whole process as well as the end result.
allamericanbp  
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2018 4:31:11 AM(UTC)
allamericanbp

Man

Self-PFT-Nov 2017 (Tried to follow strict form)
Sit-ups-40
300m-48.7
Push-ups-41
1.5 mi-10:35
Pull-ups-5 (barely)

PFT-05/04/18
Sit-ups-42
300m-48.0
Push-ups-35
1.5 mi-10:15
Pull-ups-8

I had to make a decision. I had sustained a shoulder injury about 4 months ago (FED LEO) working in the field and didn't report it or give it time to heal up. I have been going 100% and was training hard 5 to 6 days a week. The bad part is that I was stressing over the sprint and run but I did the best on those 2 events. The good thing about the PFT is that it showed me what I need to focus on for the next one. FORM!!! I was docked about 5 pushups and 5 situps or maybe a few more because of my form. I was pushing as fast as I could go but my hands kept sliding up off my head. Next time I know, I will just lock them up on my neck and give it hell! Plus I am going to increase the body weight workouts throughout the week. Just ran a team marathon yesterday and ran a 7:38 avg pace for 4.8 miles so I hope I can hit under a 9:45 to 9:50 for the next PFT.
App - 11/25/17
Ph 1- 1/12/18
M&G- 1/24/18
Ph2- 4/10/18-4/19/18
PFT/CAO -5/9/18
PSI/Poly-5/24/18
Medical-???
Med f/u-???
Tango7  
#18 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2018 10:19:24 AM(UTC)
Tango7

United States

Quick word on sit-ups- this should be a BIG source of points for everybody due to the fact that it’s the first event (i.e. your body/muscles are fresh) and because the biggest secret to this event is pacing, not having insane abs. By far the biggest mistake people make on the sit-ups is going peddle-to-the-metal as soon as the whistle blows and then petering out after the first 30 seconds. You have to train so that you are doing your sit-ups at a consistent, steady pace for the entire minute. Use a metronome (there’s lots of free apps) and set it for your goal (e.g. 50 clicks per minute; 55 clicks per minute, etc). Train to do one sit-up for each click. Muscle memory is a powerful tool; once your body knows the cadence it needs to keep, you will automatically keep pace when you take the test, even without the clicking there to guide you.

The best way that I have found to lower one’s mile and a half time is by doing half-mile repeats. I would go to a track (any distance that’s about 800 meters will work) and practice running a half-mile at my goal speed (e.g. 4:00 for an 8:00 mile). In between runs, I would work on doing push-ups while gasping for breath (just like I knew I would be doing during the PFT). I would then rest for a couple of minutes and then repeat. As my running got stronger, I gradually decreased the rest periods in between repeats. I would do 3-5 sets of repeats per workout.
thanks 2 users thanked Tango7 for this useful post.
waiting29 on 5/21/2018(UTC), JustBeingNosy on 5/22/2018(UTC)
waiting29  
#19 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 2:27:36 PM(UTC)
waiting29

United States

Thanks all who gave advice for improving! I really appreciate it. It seems as if one of the big things I need to work on is doing the actual test at least once a week to get used to such small rest periods and the fatigue each event causes. I will be working hard on all of this as I just got my PHII invite today for July. I'll let you guys know any words of wisdom after the fact, if I run into any!
Applied: 3/12
PH1: 3/31
Results: 3/31
M&G: 4/18
PH2: 7/11
emaichbe03  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 4:52:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I have to disagree on the sit up recommendation a bit. If your sit up pace is more than 1 sit up per second, then I would question whether you are doing protocol.

The sit up test is a sprint, if you want to get max points. There’s not much pacing.

Max points of 10 is 58 reps, which is very fast. These have to be trained fast. Best to do 0:30, 0:45, 0:60, timed sets, but again these are sprints.

FWIW I’ve gotten 9 and 10 points in official scored PFT sit ups.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed