Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

17 Pages«<151617
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
meinhoonna  
#321 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 5:21:15 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but from the rumors IRS IT had huge budget cut so more than likely IT hiring will be frozen.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
worker on 3/3/2020(UTC)
Woodytech21  
#322 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 5:40:14 PM(UTC)
Woodytech21

United States

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: meinhoonna Go to Quoted Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but from the rumors IRS IT had huge budget cut so more than likely IT hiring will be frozen.

Yeah I heard people was talking about it too.also, a lot of contractors was let go as well.
cs79  
#323 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2020 5:35:32 AM(UTC)
cs79

United States

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 33 post(s)

I heard something too, but thought it was a rumor. I don't see many new jobs posted.

Originally Posted by: Woodytech21 Go to Quoted Post

Yeah I heard people was talking about it too.also, a lot of contractors was let go as well.

thanks 1 user thanked cs79 for this useful post.
Woodytech21 on 11/11/2020(UTC)
Yomi_Des03  
#324 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2020 2:17:58 PM(UTC)
Yomi_Des03

United States

Ridicules!They send out offers and never get back to you.
Yomi_Des03  
#325 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2020 3:52:10 PM(UTC)
Yomi_Des03

United States

So... they finally got back to me and rescinded their offer. At first they had changed my status to not-referred and and when I asked why the person that email me demanded a copy of the letter I revived as she was not aware that an offer was sent to anyone in my area. She said she would look into it but that guarantees nothing and letter on I received the not-hired letter. Fun! No reason why what-so-ever!
cs79  
#326 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2020 5:31:25 PM(UTC)
cs79

United States

Terrible. IRS HR is a joke, incompetent people from what I've seen. Even management is not the best from what I've seen so far on the projects I have been on.

Originally Posted by: Yomi_Des03 Go to Quoted Post

So... they finally got back to me and rescinded their offer. At first they had changed my status to not-referred and and when I asked why the person that email me demanded a copy of the letter I revived as she was not aware that an offer was sent to anyone in my area. She said she would look into it but that guarantees nothing and letter on I received the not-hired letter. Fun! No reason why what-so-ever!

LongWheel  
#327 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 5:50:48 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Any updates on IT hiring from anyone?
Woodytech21  
#328 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 6:28:30 PM(UTC)
Woodytech21

United States

No update. We are in a maintenance production. However there were one position I saw open on USA.gov I believe it was network. It was open earlier July and close in a 7 day period
LongWheel  
#329 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2020 3:36:06 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
A bunch of older IT are still open (COBOL and Java). Does anyone know if there plans for anyone being hired from those?
cs79  
#330 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:07:09 AM(UTC)
cs79

United States

Originally Posted by: LongWheel Go to Quoted Post
A bunch of older IT are still open (COBOL and Java). Does anyone know if there plans for anyone being hired from those?

I applied to both of those but got rejected by the COBOL one, I have 20+ years experience in different languages (lots of Java) but not COBOL, so I was rejected. I got referred to the Java one months ago but have not heard anything since.

I have not heard anything other than they might not be hiring many now because of COVID.

Woodytech21  
#331 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 7:52:39 AM(UTC)
Woodytech21

United States

Hello everyone it's been a while since someone post a question/statement. Funny how time is passing by but I am coming up on my 1yr probation period. I currently received my performance appraisal and my rating is fully successful (3.0). I talk to the manager and I was told I will go up to a grade 9.(grade ladder:7,9,11,12) I forgot to ask him when does the grade increase. Does anyone have a idea on when the grade change after receiving your appraisal? Thanks in advance
teeeeej  
#332 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 9:04:25 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Hello everyone it's been a while since someone post a question/statement. Funny how time is passing by but I am coming up on my 1yr probation period. I currently received my performance appraisal and my rating is fully successful (3.0). I talk to the manager and I was told I will go up to a grade 9.(grade ladder:7,9,11,12) I forgot to ask him when does the grade increase. Does anyone have a idea on when the grade change after receiving your appraisal? Thanks in advance

Should be the start of the pay period that begins after your anniversary date.
thanks 1 user thanked teeeeej for this useful post.
Woodytech21  
#333 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 9:12:53 AM(UTC)
Woodytech21

United States

Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the quick reply. What do you mean about anniversary date.
cs79  
#334 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 12:43:54 PM(UTC)
cs79

United States

That's great you got the next GS. You have to be a GS 7 for a year to get to GS 9 and so on. You have to be at the same grade for a year or longer to step up to the next grade. You can get step increases every year until, what step 3 then every 2 years/step?

I applied to an internal 13 last year and just got it, it will be a move to another division and they call them promotions. I should be starting next pay period. I worked at DOD and NIH and never thought I'd get to a 13 as a developer. At DOD most 13s are project managers, 14s are program managers etc. I know a couple of 15s at IRS that are technical instead of management, one advantage to working at IRS I guess.

thanks 1 user thanked cs79 for this useful post.
Woodytech21 on 11/10/2020(UTC)
Woodytech21  
#335 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 1:18:21 PM(UTC)
Woodytech21

United States

Originally Posted by: cs79 Go to Quoted Post
That's great you got the next GS. You have to be a GS 7 for a year to get to GS 9 and so on. You have to be at the same grade for a year or longer to step up to the next grade. You can get step increases every year until, what step 3 then every 2 years/step?

I applied to an internal 13 last year and just got it, it will be a move to another division and they call them promotions. I should be starting next pay period. I worked at DOD and NIH and never thought I'd get to a 13 as a developer. At DOD most 13s are project managers, 14s are program managers etc. I know a couple of 15s at IRS that are technical instead of management, one advantage to working at IRS I guess.

Congrats on your new position/grade. Yeah performance appraisal went well and I was given a grade increase. However, I am confused on the date I will see the changes. Can you give me a idea when I will see the changes.
teeeeej  
#336 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 3:01:56 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

When were you hired? This would be your EOD date. Aka anniversary date.

If you were hired in the middle of a pay period, then it gets delayed to the start of the next pay period after you have completed your year.

So, take your EOD and then round up to the start of the next PP.
thanks 1 user thanked teeeeej for this useful post.
Woodytech21  
#337 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 3:04:20 PM(UTC)
Woodytech21

United States

When were you hired? This would be your EOD date. Aka anniversary date.

If you were hired in the middle of a pay period, then it gets delayed to the start of the next pay period after you have completed your year.

So, take your EOD and then round up to the start of the next PP.

Thanks for the clarification..
Woodytech21  
#338 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 3:32:11 PM(UTC)
Woodytech21

United States

I have one last question. If I started out as a grade 7 step one. Next year, do I go to grade 9 step 1 or grade 9 step 2.. Thanks in advance.
Hired 2015  
#339 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2020 7:40:53 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LongWheel Go to Quoted Post

I have known several people that worked with outside contractors that didn't make the grade to get a perm job. From what I have heard even in my college days its a wait to find the best candidate.

teeeeej  
#340 Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2020 2:29:03 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

I have one last question. If I started out as a grade 7 step one. Next year, do I go to grade 9 step 1 or grade 9 step 2.. Thanks in advance.

You'll be a Grade 9 Step 1, because that's a hgiher wage than Grade 7 Step 3.

You first go up 2 steps on yoru current grade, if that's higher than the target grade, then you'll get the step in the higher grade equivalent to 2 steps higher on your current grade.

That's the 2 step rule. It wouldn't apply for a 7-1 going to a 9
Rss Feed  Atom Feed