Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FedCivServ  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 10:15:10 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 139 post(s)
I am a female federal employee w/ over 30 years service. i keep listening w/ interest about all these celebrity women coming forward stating that they have been sexually harassed (or worse) by powerful men in their industry. I think most of us have heard about that activity being fairly typical in the entertainment industry. It got me to wondering... i would like to know how many other women civil servants (or military) have experienced this type of situation in the federal government? when i was a summer hire many years ago, i was harassed every single day by a military officer in my organization and the civilian leadership laughed it off. Since that time, I have been hit on, leered at, winked at, etc until the powers that be finally put out policy that this was unacceptable in the late 90s from what i recall. Since then things have gotten a ton better, but i was just wondering who else had this experience. And heaven forbid, is anyone still experiencing it?
habu987  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2018 4:46:51 AM(UTC)
habu987

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I'm a male federal employee now, but my one harassment experience came from back when I was a new contractor fresh out of grad school in the 2000s. One of the older female feds (mid-late 50s?) in my organization made constant comments for about 6 months about how attractive I was, would lay it on really thick with tons of suggestive comments when I was in her office working on stuff, would leer at me in meetings, and kept trying to invite me to her house.

I never made a formal complaint, but eventually asked my contractor management to assign someone else to work with her and stayed as far away from her as physically possible after that.
King_Fed  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:50:15 AM(UTC)
King_Fed

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: habu987 Go to Quoted Post
I'm a male federal employee now, but my one harassment experience came from back when I was a new contractor fresh out of grad school in the 2000s. One of the older female feds (mid-late 50s?) in my organization made constant comments for about 6 months about how attractive I was, would lay it on really thick with tons of suggestive comments when I was in her office working on stuff, would leer at me in meetings, and kept trying to invite me to her house.

I never made a formal complaint, but eventually asked my contractor management to assign someone else to work with her and stayed as far away from her as physically possible after that.

Ha ha... I had the same thing!!!

Same age (mid-50s) and all... she said "I'm not over the hill yet!" And made other comments while giving me that "look".

I work in IT... one time I was called in to work on her computer and she left up an email to another female employee about how good I looked that day. **... wow. I took it as a compliment, but things could have gotten dicey since she was a Director and I was just starting in gov't (still in probationary period). There were a lot of comments and actions... no doubt how she felt. I never reported it. I always stayed professional and laughed it off.

I can definitely relate to how a lady would feel pressured if someone in power really goes overboard with it... I had nothing to fall back on when I started in gov't... being older, I could have handled it, but if I were in my 20s, not sure if I could have. Luckily things never got bad or even close to bad.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 21, 2018 7:51:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FedCivServ  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:56:41 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 163 time(s) in 139 post(s)
thanks for the perspective from the other side! The coin definitely does have 2 sides... sorry you guys had to go through that too!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed