Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pointakenc  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:42:02 AM(UTC)
pointakenc

Groups: Registered
United States

Hey guys I just wanted to know what you guys though about my situation. I'm 17 and last year I was put in the hospital for depression cause my dad was worried about me. ive wanted to be a special agent for so long now and I'm planning on a major in criminal justice and a minor in Japanese and then law enforcement for 3 years (also if you guys could give suggestions on how I can be more competitive that would be great). I just don't want my future to be so changed based on a mistake I made in the past..
THANKS

Edited by user Wednesday, March 28, 2018 8:45:02 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Shadow  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 10:16:52 AM(UTC)
Shadow

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
From what I have heard the FBI sees a lot of criminal justice majors applying to them it may not hurt to major in one of the STEM fields. I believe I heard that they are craving STEM majors right now so that could better your chances. A foreign language is always a plus so the minor should also help you.
thanks 1 user thanked Shadow for this useful post.
pointakenc on 3/28/2018(UTC)
LadySA2018  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 12:19:43 PM(UTC)
LadySA2018

United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pointakenc Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys I just wanted to know what you guys though about my situation. I'm 17 and last year I was put in the hospital for depression cause my dad was worried about me. ive wanted to be a special agent for so long now and I'm planning on a major in criminal justice and a minor in Japanese and then law enforcement for 3 years (also if you guys could give suggestions on how I can be more competitive that would be great). I just don't want my future to be so changed based on a mistake I made in the past..
THANKS

At this point, it is hard to give any suggestions on being more competitive. You are still so young and the needs of the FBI change year after year. My best advice would be to pursue something you enjoy. Almost anything can transfer to the FBI these days, but you want to ensure you will enjoy what you do until the FBI is a possibility, or just in case it doesn't pan out.

I wouldn't worry too much about your hospital stint. Again, you are only 17. You have 6 years until you are even eligible and still have to complete a 4-year degree and 3 years of work experience on top of it. Not to sound discouraging, but you have time. Focus on becoming the best you can be. Work hard, get good grades, get a good exercise routine and healthy diet. Become unwaveringly disciplined. It sounds cliche, but it will serve you well in the long-term, within the FBI or on another path.

Good luck to you!

Edited by user Wednesday, March 28, 2018 12:20:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Apokolips  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 7:21:43 AM(UTC)
Apokolips

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
THANKS

Best advice I ever received is study what you truly want to study not what you think will be attractive to the FBI. If criminal justice is actually what you are passionate about then by all means pursue it.
App- 06/16
PH I - 07/16
SPFT- 07/16
M&G - 08/16
Ranking - 11/16
PH II 01/17 - No GO
makingadifference  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 01, 2018 9:16:34 AM(UTC)
makingadifference

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I wouldn’t worry about it, you’re 17. You have a long ways to go and a lot will change by the time you actually apply. There is nothing wrong with majoring in criminal justice and going law enforcement to build up some experience. However, just make sure this is what you want (you’ll probably change your mind, most young people in college do).

The FBI pulls from all backgrounds. You don’t have to be law enforcement or military. Find a degree you’re passionate in and focus on that. Also on the way start building up job experience. You might even realize you don’t even want to be a SA. The FBI has plenty of other positions such as IA that you might enjoy more.

pointakenc  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 08, 2018 8:49:11 PM(UTC)
pointakenc

United States

BUMPING: looking for anyone with knowledge on the depression aspect
SA_Applicant_Stats  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 6:10:19 AM(UTC)
SA_Applicant_Stats

Man
United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 11 post(s)
BUMPING: looking for anyone with knowledge on the depression aspect

So a few things...

You will probably have to do a psych eval during the medical portion which is not a disqualifier and applies to a number of candidates due to this. They are mostly looking to see if this could change the way you make decisions or hinder your ability to do your job. However, they are also looking to ensure you have the maturity to seek treatment when required and stay mentally healthy if it is something ongoing. Many kids in high school go through depression.

Second, for your security clearance it is not a disqualifier either. They look to see if it would change your trustworthiness or would cause you to make poor decisions as well. Again, they are looking for your current condition at the time of application and your management of it.

I would not worry about the one incident and make sure to stay mentally healthy and seek help when needed if you have any issues in the future. I would be more concerned about them discovering an issue that you don't seek treatment for, than admitting to an issue that you successfully manage with treatment--if there is something recurring that you aren't mentioning or it comes back sometime later in college, another place where depression is not uncommmon.

Last note, depression is not a mistake you made nor is it something to be ashamed of. It is a health issue just like breaking your arm. If you broke your arm in high school and had it fixed, it won't change anything for you now. Depression will be treated very similarly.
P1/Pass Email: 6/9/2018
M&G Invite: 7/12/2018
M&G: 8/17/2018
thanks 2 users thanked SA_Applicant_Stats for this useful post.
Invictus482 on 4/9/2018(UTC), LadySA2018 on 4/9/2018(UTC)
pointakenc  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 09, 2018 7:05:27 PM(UTC)
pointakenc

United States

Bumping hoping for more info
ratedarrrrrr  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:00:16 AM(UTC)
ratedarrrrrr

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
There is no straight "yes/no this is a disqualifying situation" with what happened to you and your chances at the job. As SA_Applicant_Stats stated, you will likely have to do a psychological evaluation. HQ will have you speak to some sort of certified mental health professional and get an evaluation on whether they think you're able to do the job, simple as that. The information everyone has provided is about all you're going to get at this point unfortunately unless you have more specific questions.
GSBS  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 4:22:35 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 194 post(s)
Honestly there are three
items that will matter the most for your dream Job as a Special Investigator with the FBI. Marijuana use, your mental health, and credit. Then will come your qualifications
potassium  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 5:28:43 PM(UTC)
potassium

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
Honestly there are three
items that will matter the most for your dream Job as a Special Investigator with the FBI. Marijuana use, your mental health, and credit. Then will come your qualifications

I don't think that's right.
GWPDA  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 1:40:26 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 425 time(s) in 355 post(s)
If your folks were worried enough about you to hospitalize you, don't you think you might want to work out the causes and issues that led to your depression before anything else? Your health and recovery surely comes before deciding on how that health's going to be used, doesn't it?
pointakenc  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 5:01:14 PM(UTC)
pointakenc

United States

I have worked through it
Rss Feed  Atom Feed