Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Anonymous33  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:24:57 PM(UTC)
Anonymous33

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I moved my family to offer care to our nation's finest. I take pride in what I do, and I work hard. This talk about privatizing the va concerns me. I'm new to federal work. Are there always political pressures that could possibly impact the job but often don't significantly do so? Do I need to develop a plan B for my career? I have heard there are many vet orgs against privatization. Is the lobby more powerful? Where can I go for some insight into how this could all affect my job? My supervisor is amazing, but I don't he would tell me any insider info before he tells everyone.

Any ideas about the proposed time line for privatization? I'm hoping I will at least have my year of probation over and can apply to other agencies if my local facility is dismantled.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2018 3:32:14 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 817 time(s) in 641 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Anonymous33 Go to Quoted Post
I moved my family to offer care to our nation's finest. I take pride in what I do, and I work hard. This talk about privatizing the va concerns me. I'm new to federal work. Are there always political pressures that could possibly impact the job but often don't significantly do so? Do I need to develop a plan B for my career? I have heard there are many vet orgs against privatization. Is the lobby more powerful? Where can I go for some insight into how this could all affect my job? My supervisor is amazing, but I don't he would tell me any insider info before he tells everyone.

Any ideas about the proposed time line for privatization? I'm hoping I will at least have my year of probation over and can apply to other agencies if my local facility is dismantled.
one party has (at least for the past few decades) been pushing to privatize the VA (and almost everything else in the federal government) and generally it does not come to fruition because the applicable lobbies (for the VA, all the Vet orgs like DAV, VFW, etc) go to work on preventing anything that impacts negatively their constituents. I will note, the majority of politicians pushing to privatize the VA have never been in the military...

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Beam Reach  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2018 3:04:40 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 82 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Anonymous33 Go to Quoted Post

I wouldn't be concerned. First, a change of this magnitude would take a very long time to implement even if it were given the green light, which is practically impossible.

Second, in the extremely unlikely event that it went through they will still need all the same professionals as they currently have.

Lastly, you are a fed employee, you have certain protections and programs that you'd be offered.

Talk like this is comparable to the "flat tax" or "California seceding" topics... Interesting, but we'll never see it in our lifetime.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed