Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RedTailFox  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 6:08:38 AM(UTC)
RedTailFox

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Anybody have some thoughts on how the FBI SA compares to the US Secret Service SA (Criminal Investigator)?

From cursory review, it looks like:

- USSS has a more specific mandate vs FBI has a broad body of Fed Statutes it enforces
- USSS is not part of the IC, so no counterespionage work at the USSS (I think?)
- USSS is one of the few law enforcement agencies to require a Physical Test and a poly (similar to FBI) - I was surprised to learn that not all 1811 positions require a PT and a poly... thinking of HSI here.
- USSS starting pay seems to be a notch lower, starts at GS-9, vs GS-10 at the Bureau
- USSS sends its recruits to FLETC in GA for the initial training, similar to the BFTC course at the Bureau

I am in the FBI SA application pipeline, but have to wait another year to reapply due to a failing Phase 2 score, in the mean-time I am also considering other 1811 positions and wanted to know if anyone has some input on the USSS SA positions. I met a guy at my M&G from USSS uniformed division who was trying join the FBI, but I am not sure for his reasons. I did hear that USSS has some brutal hours due to their annual protective work in NY and every four years during elections.

Edited by user Thursday, March 29, 2018 6:20:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Elysium06  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 6:36:48 AM(UTC)
Elysium06

United States

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Here's what I know, both from having 8 good friends as USSS agents (two of them next-door neighbors) and from being in the application process myself.

You are correct. With regard to the physical fitness test however, you only have to take it at FLETC and CITP with the USSS. You don't have to take it at all prior to reporting at FLETC. At FLETC you don't even have to pass it, though you do have to pass it at CITP. FLETC is about 3 months long. CITP is about 4 months long at is held at the USSS training facility in Laurel, MD.

The USSS application process is moving EXTREMELY fast right now. I applied on January 31 and I have my security interview next week. At my panel interview they said I should expect to be at FLETC in July (assuming I go with the USSS over the FBI). They are making a big hiring push because they are extremely undermanned and their new director has made lifestyle improvements a priority for USSS personnel. From what I hear he's doing great things, though of course it will take a while for the improvements to fully work their way through the agency.

If you have a master's degree you will start as a GS-9. If not, a GS-7. Assuming the former, you will be a GS-13 in 3 years (as opposed to 5 in the FBI). Year 0: GS-9, Year 1: GS-11, Year 2: GS-12, Year 3: GS-13. You will also likely earn significant overtime which will increase the pay further.

Regarding your career - typically your first assignment will last 6 years and will primarily involve investigations at a field office. However, because they are undermanned and the Trump protection detail is so large because of the size of Trump's family, the first assignment has been temporarily shortened to 3 years. The second (phase 2) assignment is on a protection detail and currently lasts about 6 years. You can expect to move to Washington DC for your protection detail.

The travel is significant. USSS agents are gone A LOT. Life is hard for their families. My neighbors' wives constantly complain about it (but they don't complain about the money - these guys frequently cap out the GS pay scale from overtime). Even during your field office assignments you will routinely be called to travel to help with protection.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by user Thursday, March 29, 2018 6:43:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RedTailFox  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 6:51:25 AM(UTC)
RedTailFox

United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Thanks Elysium06! This is really good information. I applied for a Criminal Investigator position with the USSS a couple of days ago and look forward to hear back.

A few more questions:
- I am a current Fed and am at a higher GS level, would they max out the GS-9 for me?
- Do you know if you get to choose the FO, or is it given to you? I realize that in theory they make you sign a mobility agreement, but also diff agencies manage this process differently.
- Having gone through the FBI Phase 1, how does the USSS initial test compare?

Thanks again.
Elysium06  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2018 7:04:54 AM(UTC)
Elysium06

United States

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Surge Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Elysium06! This is really good information. I applied for a Criminal Investigator position with the USSS a couple of days ago and look forward to hear back.

A few more questions:
- I am a current Fed and am at a higher GS level, would they max out the GS-9 for me?
- Do you know if you get to choose the FO, or is it given to you? I realize that in theory they make you sign a mobility agreement, but also diff agencies manage this process differently.
- Having gone through the FBI Phase 1, how does the USSS initial test compare?

Thanks again.

They will max you at GS-9 step 10, yes (they're doing the same for me). Prior to attending FLETC you will be given options to choose from regarding your FO. I've heard of people getting anywhere from only 1 option to getting 6 choices. My friends have never heard of anyone's location getting changed after they made their choice. Also, you will sign a continuing service agreement which commits you to staying with the USSS for a set amount of time after finishing training. I don't know the length of commitment.

In my opinion, the questions on the USSS phase 1 exam are much harder than the FBI exam. The grammar questions can be very tricky and the physical memory questions can be very detailed. Of course, I don't know how hard the exam as a whole is - a test with hard questions is still easy if the score required to pass is very low.
thanks 1 user thanked Elysium06 for this useful post.
RedTailFox on 3/29/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed