Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
someoldguy  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2018 4:05:52 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 712 time(s) in 596 post(s)
The newly appointed Director of OPM, Mr Jeffery Pon, says we need different types of personnel systems for different occupations.

His Deputy Director, Michael Rigas, added:

Quote:
“I think we need to be able to make employment in the federal government more attractive...
I think these are some of the challenges we will need to address to make employment in the
federal government more competitive with all the options that are available out there”

I would think if they want to make federal employment more attractive, they could stop attacking the federal workforce at every chance.

OPM Director Pon: We need different types of personnel systems for different occupations

Edited by user Monday, April 02, 2018 4:06:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: typos

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2018 2:30:11 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Well here's my 2 cents on the matter...

1 - Outside of a few specific job sets, I don't really see a shortage of qualified people applying for government jobs. If there was a shortage, I'd be getting more interviews from my referrals and when I'm on an interview panel, I don't need to sift through 100+ resumes even after the system nixes a few hundred already.

2 - Having worked for 5 different civilian agencies and also the military, one of the biggest problem I see is the overclassification of positions. This is especially an issue in the military (incidentally also the largest amount of 'federal' employees) where 90% of everyone gets a clearance when most of those 90% does not actually use that clearance in any shape form or fashion in any way or have any implications without it. Some of the civilian agencies are pretty good about it while others are much worse. Where I work right now, child care providers and counselors are all required to have SECRET clearances; why?? Who is deciding these things and what is their rationale behind it?
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
King_Fed on 4/6/2018(UTC)
esprite3  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2018 1:31:49 PM(UTC)
esprite3

United States

Originally Posted by: FatHappyCat Go to Quoted Post

This is especially an issue in the military (incidentally also the largest amount of 'federal' employees) where 90% of everyone gets a clearance when most of those 90% does not actually use that clearance in any shape form or fashion in any way or have any implications without it. Some of the civilian agencies are pretty good about it while others are much worse. Where I work right now, child care providers and counselors are all required to have SECRET clearances; why?? Who is deciding these things and what is their rationale behind it?

I agree, processing too many people who have no actual In-Job use for a security clearance just overwhelms and stresses the system to the point that people who have an honest need for it have to wait year(s) in order to get cleared. Even in IT, where you have people who do nothing more than turn computers off and on again have to get a Secret. Maybe they should granulize the different clearances into finer categories so that they don't end up wasting more time, money, and manpower on this. Someone who deals with young children and someone who deals with sensitive data need viewed through different lens to determine trust since what they work with and around are totally different.
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 04, 2018 2:05:57 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 712 time(s) in 596 post(s)
Where I work right now, child care providers and counselors are all required to have SECRET clearances; why?? Who is deciding these things and what is their rationale behind it?

Are you sure they have security clearances? I suspect they have may have "public trust" which, while not a clearance granting access to classified information, requires the same kind of investigation.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
FatHappyCat  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 05, 2018 4:31:40 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 53 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Where I work right now, child care providers and counselors are all required to have SECRET clearances; why?? Who is deciding these things and what is their rationale behind it?

Are you sure they have security clearances? I suspect they have may have "public trust" which, while not a clearance granting access to classified information, requires the same kind of investigation.

Technically they don't since they never sign an NDA, but their T3 investigation is the same one that you would complete were you applying for a secret clearance and takes the exact same amount of time. The point is, there is zero reason for anyone who doesn't work on classified information to have a T3 background investigation. The reason they eliminated all the different types of non-secret (MBI, BI, NACI, etc.) and secret (NACLC, ANACI, etc.) investigation was because they wanted to simplified the system and help streamline the process. Now, whoever works on the PDs and actually does the calculation always determine it to be more than T1 but less than T3 so they default it to T3. This completely defeats the purpose of something that should be more cut and dry.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed