Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
A1c  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 8:41:33 AM(UTC)
A1c

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Well, I got my final offer last week and while I am happy and excited, I also do not know what to do as far as my pregnancy is concern. When I submitted my applicationand went through the interview I wasn’t pregnant yet but now I am 17 weeks pregnant and won’t start till June. I do not know if I have to tell HR or do I call my supervisor(which I haven’t met yet). Will they not hire me because of my pregnancy? I am just so unsure right now but I wanted this job. I have to go to a 2 weeks training and I wonder how my pregnancy will affect that. Will they move my start date or will they they back the offer altogether. Please help! Thanks
FedCivServ  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 8:49:12 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 119 post(s)
it's illegal to discriminate against someone for being pregnant. I would wait until everything is set and then sometime before you go in, you might want to mention it since you will surely be showing by then. You don't have to, but out of courtesy i think i would. Good luck w/ job & baby!
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
A1c on 4/9/2018(UTC)
SoylentGreen  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 9:07:48 AM(UTC)
SoylentGreen

United States

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I would tell them. As someone said above, it's illegal to pull the offer because you are pregnant. Telling them allows them to plan for your absence during maternity leave. Congratulations! I wouldn't think your pregnancy would affect your training (unless it's a very physical type of training...depends on what your job is). You might have a restriction on flying on an airplane depending on how late in your pregnancy you are when you training happens...I wouldn't think even 20-24 weeks would restrict you from flying. My traiing class at IRS had someone in virtually the same situation and weeks pregnant as you will be. Congratulations and good luck!

Edited by user Monday, April 09, 2018 9:08:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked SoylentGreen for this useful post.
A1c on 4/9/2018(UTC)
A1c  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 09, 2018 10:59:58 AM(UTC)
A1c

United States

Thank you all! I was thinking of telling them this week because my start date is not until June 10th. By the time I start I will be 24 weeks. I think I will be ok with the training but after the training and I work for 30 days in the office, I have to go back again for another 2 weeks training. I have to contact my travel agent for travel arrangements that is why I am thinking of telling them ahead? Then again, I haven't really started so, that is why I am concern they might take the offer back or move my start date at a later time. I couldn't start earlier even if I wanted to because of some commitments I have with my current job.
GWPDA  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 10, 2018 7:16:15 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 416 time(s) in 346 post(s)
Congratulations! The only changes that can be made about when you start or your training or any of the rest would come from you. If the final offer has been made, being pregnant may not alter that. In terms of what you will be able to do and when, consult your physician. And keep that A1c nice and low!
thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
A1c on 4/20/2018(UTC)
A1c  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:07:06 AM(UTC)
A1c

United States

Originally Posted by: GWPDA Go to Quoted Post
Congratulations! The only changes that can be made about when you start or your training or any of the rest would come from you. If the final offer has been made, being pregnant may not alter that. In terms of what you will be able to do and when, consult your physician. And keep that A1c nice and low!

Thank you! And yes I am trying to keep my A1c nice and low! I haven’t called my HR yet...at this point I am kind of lost on how to begin my conversation with her.
CivSer67  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:02:50 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Yes pregnancy can and is cause for rescinding the job offer. it is completely up to the hiring official to justify why it is so... I have done it in the past and it was all completely legal. be very careful in what you are doing, failure to disclose changes in mental, or physical nature is also grounds or removal depending on the position.
GWPDA  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 10:10:11 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

"Yes pregnancy can and is cause for rescinding the job offer. it is completely up to the hiring official to justify why it is so... I have done it in the past and it was all completely legal. "

Under what circumstances? What kind of job? Title VII and the Pregnancy Discrimination Act as amended strongly suggests that such an action is illegal. The exceptions are very, very, very limited. https://www.eeoc.gov/law...e/pregnancy_guidance.cfm

As noted, "1. Current Pregnancy

The most familiar form of pregnancy discrimination is discrimination against an employee based on her current pregnancy. Such discrimination occurs when an employer refuses to hire, fires, or takes any other adverse action against a woman because she is pregnant, without regard to her ability to perform the duties of the job.[14]"
Beam Reach  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 10:54:56 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 67 post(s)
...or takes any other adverse action against a woman because she is pregnant, without regard to her ability to perform the duties of the job.[14]"

And I'm not meaning to step into this maelstrom, but if the woman in question is going to immediately be out for 12 weeks on FMLA... doesn't that affect her ability to perform the duties of her job?
CivSer67  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 11:20:41 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

"Yes pregnancy can and is cause for rescinding the job offer. it is completely up to the hiring official to justify why it is so... I have done it in the past and it was all completely legal. "

Under what circumstances? What kind of job? Title VII and the Pregnancy Discrimination Act as amended strongly suggests that such an action is illegal. The exceptions are very, very, very limited. https://www.eeoc.gov/law...e/pregnancy_guidance.cfm

The most familiar form of pregnancy discrimination is discrimination against an employee based on her current pregnancy. Such discrimination occurs when an employer refuses to hire, fires, or takes any other adverse action against a woman because she is pregnant, without regard to her ability to perform the duties of the job.[14]"

The member was not able to wear the required protective clothing due to the constraints of the fit, also due to the pregnancy was not allowed to handle a weapon per her doctor, therefor, the offer was rescinded.
CivSer67  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 11:27:11 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: CivSer67 Go to Quoted Post

The member was not able to wear the required protective clothing due to the constraints of the fit, also due to the pregnancy was not allowed to handle a weapon per her doctor, therefor, the offer was rescinded.

it does, and if the position is EE and deployable, especially at that time...easy to move on to #2!
GWPDA  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 1:02:18 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Nothing at all indicates that the OP is involved in an EE/deployable job. And it's very unclear that there is any special gear required for any job where there is a two week training assignment. Invocation of a 'right' to deny employment already offered to a pregnant employee absent the very, very, very few contingencies you note is a quick route to a hard row home. Pregnancy, like being female are no longer a legal impediment to employment nor are either disabilities nor even exempting 'pre-existing' conditions.

I see an awful lot of pregnant Soldiers, Seamen, Airmen and Marines around my joint. The Marine Corps has some especially natty pregnancy BDUs. If the uniformed services no longer discriminate it's not acceptable for the civilian services within DOD.
Beam Reach  
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 1:32:53 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 67 post(s)

I see an awful lot of pregnant Soldiers, Seamen, Airmen and Marines around my joint. The Marine Corps has some especially natty pregnancy BDUs. If the uniformed services no longer discriminate it's not acceptable for the civilian services within DOD.

I've been out of the Marine Corps for quite a while so things may be different but I'm pretty sure that you won't be seeing any of those pregnant Marines going to the gas chamber, obstacle course, forced marches, etc.

Female Marines make great contributions to the Corps and they have my respect and admiration, but let's not pretend that pregnancy has no impact on ability to perform certain functions and when one member of the team is absent it means either the work doesn't get done or the rest of the team has to shoulder the burden.

But I wish the OP all the best.
CivSer67  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 1:42:57 PM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Nothing at all indicates that the OP is involved in an EE/deployable job. And it's very unclear that there is any special gear required for any job where there is a two week training assignment. Invocation of a 'right' to deny employment already offered to a pregnant employee absent the very, very, very few contingencies you note is a quick route to a hard row home. Pregnancy, like being female are no longer a legal impediment to employment nor are either disabilities nor even exempting 'pre-existing' conditions.

Call it what you want, I'm just stating a point. Keeping changes from the hiring official is never a good thing, and if you're keeping them, you obviously have something to hide.
frankgonzalez  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 2:48:00 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 792 time(s) in 618 post(s)

And they are not pregnant when they join the military. If they show up at MEPS pregnant, then they are delayed until AFTER the birth (or sometimes denied entry, especially if they are a single parent as they won't be able to care for the child for several months).

As CivSer67 pointed out, there are some rare exceptions to the PDA and Title VII that allow for the rescission of an offer to someone pregnant. With that though, it is better to inform the supervisor up front so things can be prepared for (ie having the new person potentially out for several weeks soon after arrival/scheduling required training, etc.
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
CivSer67  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 3:48:51 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

And they are not pregnant when they join the military. If they show up at MEPS pregnant, then they are delayed until AFTER the birth (or sometimes denied entry, especially if they are a single parent as they won't be able to care for the child for several months).

As CivSer67 pointed out, there are some rare exceptions to the PDA and Title VII that allow for the rescission of an offer to someone pregnant. With that though, it is better to inform the supervisor up front so things can be prepared for (ie having the new person potentially out for several weeks soon after arrival/scheduling required training, etc.

another great point when dealing with the gov't....
FedCivServ  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 8:54:45 AM(UTC)

And so given what some of you have said (and i don't argue that there are SOME, albeit very specific situations where it is understandable to rescind) do you really think you are motivating the OP to disclose?? There are some managers who WOULD discriminate against her even if the job does not have specific requirements which she cannot fulfill being pregnant just because her being on maternity leave would inconvenience them. I guess it's a good thing reservists & guardsmen have official protection against getting fired because there absence from the workplace also causes inconvenience... just sayin'.
FedCivServ  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 8:56:10 AM(UTC)

And so given what some of you have said (and i don't argue that there are SOME, albeit very specific situations where it is understandable to rescind) do you really think you are motivating the OP to disclose?? There are some managers who WOULD discriminate against her even if the job does not have specific requirements which she cannot fulfill being pregnant just because her being on maternity leave would inconvenience them. I guess it's a good thing reservists & guardsmen have official protection against getting fired because their absence from the workplace also causes inconvenience... just sayin'.
frankgonzalez  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 10:16:04 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 792 time(s) in 618 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FedCivServ Go to Quoted Post
And so given what some of you have said (and i don't argue that there are SOME, albeit very specific situations where it is understandable to rescind) do you really think you are motivating the OP to disclose?? There are some managers who WOULD discriminate against her even if the job does not have specific requirements which she cannot fulfill being pregnant just because her being on maternity leave would inconvenience them. I guess it's a good thing reservists & guardsmen have official protection against getting fired because their absence from the workplace also causes inconvenience... just sayin'.
Well....Military members, for the most part, only have protection via policy not statute. Guardsmen, may have some via state law.

But unless the OP is in an Emergency Essential type position, they are likely covered by Title VII or the PDA. And while some managers "might" discriminate, they are also the ones who would do so soon after onboarding citing "probation" as the reason to terminate a new employee.

The vast majority of supervisors simply want someone in the position who can do the job. And with the headache of the hiring process, waiting a few weeks after the person they selected is out on maternity leave is still preferable to going back through the whole hiring process again!

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
CivSer67  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2018 10:53:26 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Man
Germany

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: FedCivServ Go to Quoted Post
Well....Military members, for the most part, only have protection via policy not statute. Guardsmen, may have some via state law.

But unless the OP is in an Emergency Essential type position, they are likely covered by Title VII or the PDA. And while some managers "might" discriminate, they are also the ones who would do so soon after onboarding citing "probation" as the reason to terminate a new employee.

The vast majority of supervisors simply want someone in the position who can do the job. And with the headache of the hiring process, waiting a few weeks after the person they selected is out on maternity leave is still preferable to going back through the whole hiring process again!

Well.. yes. I expect full and complete disclosure....honesty, up front is extremely important. How would you feel If one of your new employees decides not to share things with you that will effect how your office/shop operates which BTW is a direct reflection on you. Would you feel the need to completely trust this person in future situations? I know I wouldn't!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed