Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rbr  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 6:36:12 AM(UTC)
rbr

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hello Everyone

I am in very close to getting a final offer from a unnamed government agency (not the one referenced in my signature block)....While the job seems like a great job, it doesn't really align with my expertise or career objectives. I would also have to move across country. When I was contacted for the interview, I was offered an opportunity to come in and see the organization. However, this was done on short notice and I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a job that (at the time) I didn't think would pan out. I ended up doing the interview through Skype and getting a TO. After submitting my security paperwork, I have been informed that I am "clear for hire" and would be receiving an FO shortly. Given the circumstances, I thought it would be prudent to actually go to the organization prior to making a monumental life decision. After letting it be known that I was willing to work around their schedule, I was informed by an hiring manager that "they don't allow official visits prior to EOD dates" and I would have to rely on personal connections (which I don't have any). I wasn't expecting them to roll out the red carpet, but rather, have a supervisor available to speak with about the position and to get to know the organization and it's culture.....something that would have taken maybe 2 hours out of the day.

Has anybody else been rebuffed when trying to schedule a visit with an organization that has given you a firm offer for employment? Is this standard procedure for how most government agencies operate or is this indicative of how I would be treated as an employee?

Edited by user Friday, April 13, 2018 6:52:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

birdonamission  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 7:24:04 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Let me offer this (since you asked), from what could be the Agency's perspective: You're already on the verge of or have received a final offer (I don't know which, going by what you said at the beginning compared to the end of this post) -- what's the point of an unofficial visit when you'll be there soon, anyway, officially? The point, based on this post and your post in the Federal Career Planning and Development forum, is that you're nervous, uneasy, and lack confidence in your ability to do the job.

That's unfortunate for them because they have no idea the person they finally selected after going through the arduous interviewing and hiring process, many hours spent away from their other duties, paying for a BI, etc., is quite uncomfortable and is having these doubts. This doesn't sound like the normal, excited nervousness everyone feels when they're about to start a new job -- not to mention you're currently unemployed (per your other post).

Also, you were offered an opportunity for an in-person interview, and you refused (it was too "short notice" for you and you "didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a job..."). Now you want the Agency to stop what they're doing and host you after the fact for a personal familiarization tour for a GS-9 development position because of a situation you created (and what they probably have never done for anybody else ever). They already accommodated you by allowing Skype. You ask whether this is an indication of how you might be "treated as an employee?" They've done nothing wrong.

You stated in your other post your "strategy" is to get them to push back this job's EOD as far out as possible in hopes of getting a a firm offer for another (non-developmental) GS-9 job so you can tell these people, oops never mind. Who's being strung along (unbeknownst to them) and being "treated" a certain way?

Not trying to be harsh -- just saying there are other angles and perspectives to everything.

rbr  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 7:38:01 PM(UTC)
rbr

I dont know if you are trying to be cool but your reply is filled with off base assumptions rather than useful advice.

With that being said, if an agency has gone through thw arduos process of vetting me as you describe then they should gladly honor my resquest for a simple visit. I have THREE other offers so I think its more than appropriate to want to actually visit the agency before making a decisions. Just like the agency vetted me, it is well within my right to throughly vet them. This has nothing to do with "lack of confidence", its about having the facts before making a career defining decision. In addition, had I known that you were so relax when it came to short-term travel, I would have had you buy the $430 roundtrip plane ticket and $100 hotel room for my initial interview. Im not in your wallet, so stay the hell out of mine.

If you have any useful advice as it relates to the situation, then Id be glad to hear it.

Thanks
VetPref68  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 7:43:52 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 82 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Wow....someone seems a little stuck on themselves....

"Just like the agency vetted me, it is well within my right to throughly vet them"

Winner of comic post of the year!!!!

"I have THREE other offers so I think its more than appropriate to want to actually visit the agency before making a decisions."

Might be best you take one of those other THREE offers!

If you got a job with my agency, we sure as heck wouldn't let some prospective applicant just visit especially when we have keypad entry and armed employees.

Edited by user Saturday, April 14, 2018 7:48:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
birdonamission on 4/14/2018(UTC), I'm done! on 4/17/2018(UTC)
birdonamission  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 7:53:48 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: rbr Go to Quoted Post
I dont know if you are trying to be cool but your reply is filled with off base assumptions rather than useful advice.

With that being said, if an agency has gone through thw arduos process of vetting me as you describe then they should gladly honor my resquest for a simple visit. I have THREE other offers so I think its more than appropriate to want to actually visit the agency before making a decisions. Just like the agency vetted me, it is well within my right to throughly vet them. This has nothing to do with "lack of confidence", its about having the facts before making a career defining decision. In addition, had I known that you were so relax when it came to short-term travel, I would have had you buy the $430 roundtrip plane ticket and $100 hotel room for my initial interview. Im not in your wallet, so stay the hell out of mine.

If you have any useful advice as it relates to the situation, then Id be glad to hear it.

Thanks

EXCUSE ME? You come on here acting as if the world revolves around your arrogant self. If you can't take the heat from responses in a PUBLIC forum, then get heck out of the kitchen. You put yourself out there, with your self-entitled attitude. Oh, no!! You might have to give, to get!! What a tragedy.

You are talking to the wrong person. I was on vacation when I received a date to interview with an agency, so guess what I did? I quickly arranged to fly in for the interview and then flew back to continue my vacation. If it was worth applying for, it was worth investing in the cost to make the interview happen. I figured that even if I didn't get the job, the interview experience would've been worth it.

Why should they "gladly" honor you? Who do you think you are? THREE other offers -- who gives a freaking care!

Edited by user Saturday, April 14, 2018 7:57:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rbr  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 11:20:39 PM(UTC)
rbr

Originally Posted by: birdonamission Go to Quoted Post

Thanks

EXCUSE ME? You come on here acting as if the world revolves around your arrogant self. If you can't take the heat from responses in a PUBLIC forum, then get heck out of the kitchen. You put yourself out there, with your self-entitled attitude. Oh, no!! You might have to give, to get!! What a tragedy.

You are talking to the wrong person. I was on vacation when I received a date to interview with an agency, so guess what I did? I quickly arranged to fly in for the interview and then flew back to continue my vacation. If it was worth applying for, it was worth investing in the cost to make the interview happen. I figured that even if I didn't get the job, the interview experience would've been worth it.

Why should they "gladly" honor you? Who do you think you are? THREE other offers -- who gives a freaking care!

Well while you spent money on a "good experience", I did not and got a job offer. Whether you sympathize with my situation is irrelevant, in that I found it peculiar that an agency is willing to hire me without actually meeting me and the question posted on the forum was inquiring if that was normal for government agencie. The description of my situation was to provide context and not elicit sympathy. If I ran an organization, I would not have a problem meeting with someone that I offered a job. While you seem desperate enough to drop everything and spend money on "good experiences", I took a more prudent approach in that I wanted to wait until I was further in the process. You still have not given any useful advice so I'm not sure your purpose of posting on the forum.
rbr  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 11:26:43 PM(UTC)
rbr

Originally Posted by: VetPref68 Go to Quoted Post
Wow....someone seems a little stuck on themselves....

"Just like the agency vetted me, it is well within my right to throughly vet them"

Winner of comic post of the year!!!!

"I have THREE other offers so I think its more than appropriate to want to actually visit the agency before making a decisions."

Might be best you take one of those other THREE offers!

If you got a job with my agency, we sure as heck wouldn't let some prospective applicant just visit especially when we have keypad entry and armed employees.

So you are saying that you wouldnt let a perspective applicant visit your agency because of keypad entry and security but you would give that same applicant those keypad codes WITHOUT actually meeting with them prior?......You sound like a real winner. Maybe that's why it's so damn hard to get a clearance these days because you and your agency take such a lax approach to security. Obviously a choice must be made, however, which is why I wanted to visit the agency to get a clear understanding of what they have to offer to HELP me make that choice. Maybe you've never been in a situation where you've had to make a choice but gathering facts is part of the decision making process.
birdonamission  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 11:30:40 PM(UTC)

You're a GS-7 equivalent at best, so shut your pie-hole. There’s some good advice right there.
rbr  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 14, 2018 11:37:09 PM(UTC)
rbr

You're a GS-7 equivalent at best, so shut your pie-hole. There’s some good advice right there.

Wrong again....I'm qualified as a GS9 with offers for both GS-9 and GS-11 positions. Regardless of what my position and level is, I think your response to my last posting tells me everything I need to know about YOUR mental capacity which is why you have yet to write anything remotely productive.
birdonamission  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:00:44 AM(UTC)

Wrong again....I'm qualified as a GS9 with offers for both GS-9 and GS-11 positions. Regardless of what my position and level is, I think your response to my last posting tells me everything I need to know about YOUR mental capacity which is why you have yet to write anything remotely productive.

Hey, you’re the one that’s unemployed (offers or not), but I digress.

I’m going to ignore the stupid parts of your post, “mental capacity,” blah, blah, blah. For the two offers you posted about so far, you are a GS-7 equivalent. Yes, definitely. There’s the developmental one you are plotting (“strategizing”) to delay the EOD for so you can see if the easier one that you’re less afraid of might come through so you can ditch the other that got you all shook up and frightened, — both are GS-9 positions. Until you’re sitting in that seat, you’re a GS-7 equivalent, buster.

Unless you’re lateralling, which you have failed to mention, just like you failed to mention you have a GS-11 offer (OK, I believe you, I think), which at, best, you’re a GS-9 equivalent, which means you still need to shut your pie-hole.

We can keep this going, if you like...lol.

Edited by user Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:12:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rbr  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:13:49 AM(UTC)
rbr

I’m going to ignore the stupid parts of your post, “mental capacity,” blah, blah, blah. For the two offers you posted about so far, you are a GS-7 equivalent. Yes, definitely. There’s the developmental one you are plotting (“strategizing”) to delay the EOD for so you can see if the easier one that you’re less afraid of might come through so you can ditch the other that got you all shook up and frightened, is also a GS-9 position. Until you’re sitting in that seat, you’re a GS-7 equivalent, buster.

Unless you’re lateralling, which you have failed to mention, just like you failed to mention you have a GS-11 offer (OK, i believe you, I think), which at, best, you’re a GS-9 equivalent, which means you still need to shut your pie-hole.

Well if you're anything above a GS-9 yourself then you live a pretty sad life having to troll Fed Soup forums on a Saturday night. Your unemployed observation doesn't mean very much given that I have been given an EOD date. Am I working in the position now? No.....but I'm sure you haven't earned a third college degree which is why I took a break from employment. Having a dick-swinging contest does nothing to answer my question, and I think I'm going to reserve my time and energy to someone who can actually provide a useful perspective from this point forward.

Edited by user Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:15:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

birdonamission  
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:38:53 AM(UTC)

I’m going to ignore the stupid parts of your post, “mental capacity,” blah, blah, blah. For the two offers you posted about so far, you are a GS-7 equivalent. Yes, definitely. There’s the developmental one you are plotting (“strategizing”) to delay the EOD for so you can see if the easier one that you’re less afraid of might come through so you can ditch the other that got you all shook up and frightened, is also a GS-9 position. Until you’re sitting in that seat, you’re a GS-7 equivalent, buster.

Unless you’re lateralling, which you have failed to mention, just like you failed to mention you have a GS-11 offer (OK, i believe you, I think), which at, best, you’re a GS-9 equivalent, which means you still need to shut your pie-hole.

Well if you're anything above a GS-9 yourself then you live a pretty sad life having to troll Fed Soup forums on a Saturday night. Your unemployed observation doesn't mean very much given that I have been given an EOD date. Am I working in the position now? No.....but I'm sure you haven't earned a third college degree which is why I took a break from employment. Having a dick-swinging contest does nothing to answer my question, and I think I'm going to reserve my time and energy to someone who can actually provide a useful perspective from this point forward.

You are an unemployed GS-7 equivalent with three college degrees.

Now that that’s out of the way, the answer to your question is, has been, and will continue to be: Stop this crying about the Agency not saying how high when you said jump because you want to go in there to get a customized tour to alleviate the butterflies in your stomach about the job. Take some Tums or Rolaids.

This nonsense about not meeting you — yes, they did. They met you through your application, resume, interview. You could've even met them in person but chose to do Skype instead. You do realize that this special pre-employment tour “just for rbr” would cost the same $600 you refused to pay for the first time? :D

Edited by user Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:42:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rbr  
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:51:27 AM(UTC)
rbr

You are an umemployed GS-7 equivalent with three college degrees.

Now that that’s out of the way, the answer to your question is, has been, and continues to be: Stop this crying about the Agency not saying how high when you said jump because you want to go in there to get a customized tour to alleviate the butterflies in your stomach about the job. Take some Tums or Rolaids.

This nonsense about not meeting you — yes, they did. They met you through your application, resume, interview. You could've even met them in person but chose to do Skype instead. You do realize that this special pre-employment tour “just for rbr” would cost the same $600 you refused to pay for the first time? :D

Now you sound like a f-king idiot. Please tell me how going to a agency and talking to a supervisor would cost $600 to that agency. Statements like that wonder if you actually work for the government, or just another wannabe that creams his pants every time he gets "referred" on USAJOBs. Hopefully you will get a government job soon and can find something better to do other than hangout on other people's threads in the wee hours of the morning. Buttttt since you can't read, I will break it down for you. There is a difference between me paying to travel for an initial interview and me paying to travel to talk to a supervisor prior to EOD. Unlike you, I wasn't desperate enough to "cut my vacation short for the good experience" upon getting asked to be interviewed. I broke my promise not to answer back but your statements but your stupidity is just to appalling to go unanswered.

Edited by user Sunday, April 15, 2018 12:54:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

birdonamission  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 1:10:33 AM(UTC)

What is this, Comedy Central? If they were not going to pay for you to fly in for the interview, what makes you think they’re going to pay for some GS-7 equivalent to roll in there like a VIP? They confirmed that when they told you to buzz off. That’s YOUR $600.

I was not desperate, moron. It didn’t cost that much and I valued getting an offer interview from an Agency I wanted to work for. And I could afford it. Stop being so obsessive about that like you’re on to something significant.

Quit squealing like a stuck pig and show up when and where you’re supposed to at the appointed place and time, or something...as appalling as that it.
rbr  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 1:13:27 AM(UTC)
rbr

What is this, Comedy Central? If they were not going to pay for you to fly in for the interview, what makes you think they’re going to pay for some GS-7 equivalent to roll in there like a VIP? They confirmed that when they told you to buzz off. That’s YOUR $600.

I was not desperate, moron. It didn’t cost that much and I valued getting an offer interview from an Agency I wanted to work for. And I could afford it. Stop being so obsessive about that like you’re on to something significant.

Quit squealing like a stuck pig and show up when and where you’re supposed to at the appointed place and time, or something...as appalling as that it.

"It didn’t cost that much and I valued getting an offer interview from an Agency I wanted to work for."

I guess they didn't value you as much as you valued them given all you got out of it was a "good experience".......Hope that money was worth it lol
birdonamission  
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 1:25:54 AM(UTC)

"It didn’t cost that much and I valued getting an offer interview from an Agency I wanted to work for."

I guess they didn't value you as much as you valued them given all you got out of it was a "good experience".......Hope that money was worth it lol

So freaking what, Clown? It was a fantastic experience and very much worth it. Everyone here will tell you that going through an interview whether you get the job or not is excellent experience for future interviews. And, it certainly did pay off very nicely eventually.

Every interview and job is different, and interviews for jobs graded way higher than for a GS-7 equivalent (you know, like you. LOL) is exponentially tougher.

Beam Reach  
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:23:47 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Man, this one went south quickly.

To address the original question, who knows why they didn't want to let you do a walk through? It might be that there was something they didn't want you to see about your work environment.

For example, in my agency everyone from SES's to WG's is in cubicles. An SES get's a cubicle 12" wider than the WG. We have a policy of not showing prospective hires their work areas because that will turn them off and we never address it issue unless they bring it up. We've had a few GS-15's bail on us in their first year because they felt that as a department head they deserved a private office.

It might be that they'd already invested so much time and effort in the selection process that they didn't want to allow anything that might mess it up. I just took part in my first hiring board and it takes some work, if you want to do it right.

All in all, it sounds like this job might not be a good fit for you.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
rbr on 4/15/2018(UTC)
Exit7A  
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 3:56:40 AM(UTC)
Exit7A

United States

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 116 post(s)
To the OP,

You stated "unnamed government agency" and you stated that you are "clear for hire". I can only assume that you are referring to a 3-letter agency so this is the angle of my response.

1. The environment that you are potentially going does not lend itself to visitors. Even if you are "cleared", you have not been read onto the project therefore you are not privy to those secrets (yet).

2. You had your opportunity to vet the agency when you were offered an on-site interview. It was your choice not to take advantage of it.

3. If this job is not in line with your career objectives than why are you even considering it? From your own admission this job is not what you want, so why even bother with the site visit?

Just saying...
That's all I got to say about that.
thanks 1 user thanked Exit7A for this useful post.
ringslider on 4/15/2018(UTC)
rbr  
#19 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:49:51 AM(UTC)
rbr

Originally Posted by: Beam Reach Go to Quoted Post
Man, this one went south quickly.

To address the original question, who knows why they didn't want to let you do a walk through? It might be that there was something they didn't want you to see about your work environment.

For example, in my agency everyone from SES's to WG's is in cubicles. An SES get's a cubicle 12" wider than the WG. We have a policy of not showing prospective hires their work areas because that will turn them off and we never address it issue unless they bring it up. We've had a few GS-15's bail on us in their first year because they felt that as a department head they deserved a private office.

It might be that they'd already invested so much time and effort in the selection process that they didn't want to allow anything that might mess it up. I just took part in my first hiring board and it takes some work, if you want to do it right.

All in all, it sounds like this job might not be a good fit for you.

Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Thank you for the useful perspective.I shouldnt have continued to feed the troll. Im not sure that the job is a good fit for me either which is why I was hoping tomake the trip to alleviate my concerns. I wouldnt want to start working at the place and leave at the first oppurtunity that comes along.
rbr  
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 15, 2018 6:59:03 AM(UTC)
rbr

Originally Posted by: Exit7A Go to Quoted Post
To the OP,

You stated "unnamed government agency" and you stated that you are "clear for hire". I can only assume that you are referring to a 3-letter agency so this is the angle of my response.

1. The environment that you are potentially going does not lend itself to visitors. Even if you are "cleared", you have not been read onto the project therefore you are not privy to those secrets (yet).

2. You had your opportunity to vet the agency when you were offered an on-site interview. It was your choice not to take advantage of it.

3. If this job is not in line with your career objectives than why are you even considering it? From your own admission this job is not what you want, so why even bother with the site visit?

Just saying...

The agency IS NOT a three letter agency nor is it in the IC community.

Why am I considering it? Because I need a job and at the time I interviewed for the position, I didnt have any other oppurtunities. However, since they extended an offer I figured that I would owe it to them to do my due dilligence prior to turning them down. Who knows maybe by going to visit I would have learned more about it and been interested. I say that the job doesnt align with my career objectives only because I am basing my knowledge of the USAjobs description and an hour long Skype interview. If the agency was willing to bring me in before the interview, I am struggling to understand why they wouldnt want to do it upon actually offering me the job.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed