Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Askingforafriend  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:14:36 AM(UTC)
Askingforafriend

Groups: Registered

For how long can your current agency delay your release date to the receiving agency? Is it custom to be held for more than 2 pay periods after giving notice? I requested a release date in 4 weeks' time from date I gave notice of transfer. Wondering if my current agency can hold me indefinitely or for how long they can delay my release date.
FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 6:55:12 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Askingforafriend Go to Quoted Post
For how long can your current agency delay your release date to the receiving agency? Is it custom to be held for more than 2 pay periods after giving notice? I requested a release date in 4 weeks' time from date I gave notice of transfer. Wondering if my current agency can hold me indefinitely or for how long they can delay my release date.

Assuming the move is from one federal job to another federal job, the two human resources organizations work out the details. To "give notice" is to terminate employment. Certainly no good reason not to give 4 weeks notice and walk out the door.
HR101  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:10:00 AM(UTC)
HR101

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Askingforafriend Go to Quoted Post

Depends on the following -- if you've getting a promotion going to the new agency or if you're going to the new agency at the same grade (lateral move).

If it's a promotion for you...the longest your agency can hold you is 1 pay period (2 weeks).

However if you're going to the new agency at the same grade -- the longest they can hold you is 4 weeks (2 pay periods).

thanks 1 user thanked HR101 for this useful post.
Askingforafriend on 5/16/2018(UTC)
SD Analyst  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:27:39 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 361 time(s) in 307 post(s)
You don't "give notice" at a Federal job. The gaining HR and the losing HR work out your transfer date. Don't ever resign, or you will mess yourself up. They are supposed to let you go to a promotion in one Pay Period (2 weeks) or can keep you 30 days for a lateral. They cannot keep you from leaving.

Edited by user Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:28:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HR Bubba  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 9:39:08 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 133 post(s)
There is no official timeline mandated by law for transfers (agency to agency). Customarily, for promotions it is 1 pay period, for other actions it is 2 pay periods. If the movement is internal to one agency there may be policies in place which dictate the timeline, but it only applies to movement within that specific agency. It is not uncommon for losing agencies to make the argument that they are understaffed or need time to backfill the position, but gaining agencies can make the same type of argument (e.g., understaffed, critical fill, etc.).

At the end of the day, if you're transferring between agencies (e.g., VA to HHS) they cannot hold you because it suits their needs. While the preferred method to make a movement like this would be to process this as a transfer, there is nothing that precludes an employee from resigning from their position on the day before they start at the new agency. While there may be impacts to resigning, since the break in service is essentially 1 day or less the impact(s) should be negligible (e.g., annual leave will cash out vice transferring to new agency). I would also caution that this will probably burn a bridge with the losing agency so you should really give it some serious consideration before you go with this option.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
SD Analyst on 5/21/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed