Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability (Rehabilitation Act)

Post your thoughts and opinions here about disability-related news topics. Members can exchange their experiences and information so to help others navigate the different programs and services available.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jake1000  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:55:07 AM(UTC)
Jake1000

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am a current Fed hired under competitive service many years ago.
However, I do have a “severe disability”. No one in my agency is aware. One question when applying for a job announcement that just came out asks....

“Do you have a severe physical, psychological or mental disability that qualifies you for Schedule A Disability appointment.”

1) How do I answer this? I do “Qualify “ But do I have to answer yes? Or, do I ONLY answer “YES” If I want to apply/be considered under Schedule A?
If I answer yes, can they hire me under competitive service (as announced)?

Thanks

Edited by user Thursday, May 17, 2018 1:55:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 12:38:52 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nissan25 Go to Quoted Post
However, I do have a “severe disability”. No one in my agency is aware. One question when applying for a job announcement that just came out asks....

“Do you have a severe physical, psychological or mental disability that qualifies you for Schedule A Disability appointment.”

1) How do I answer this? I do “Qualify “ But do I have to answer yes? Or, do I ONLY answer “YES” If I want to apply/be considered under Schedule A?

Thanks

The question is for demographics. Search the internet for Schedule A Hiring Authority. Different certificates for competitive service and Schedule A.
Jake1000  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 3:30:17 AM(UTC)
Jake1000

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I understand different certificates & demographics. Do I have to answer YES to the question?
“Yes”, I do qualify.
TheRealOrange  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 4:19:30 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nissan25 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks

As far as I know, you are not required to answer yes, and you certainly are not required to disclose your disability. In fact, applicants are not required to disclose information about a disability unless they are using the Schedule A appointing authority to be hired. If Schedule A is being used, then the applicant is required to provide the certification letter, but does not have to disclose the disability. If this is truly a question for demographic purposes, the information is separate from the application itself and is not available to the agency except as a part of aggregated data. That is, it cannot be tied back to the applicant. But, if you are not comfortable answering yes, then simply respond no.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed