Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
clancey  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 12:23:03 PM(UTC)
clancey

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Well all, I've been off of this for quite a while but decided today I needed to post. I went to the mailbox and low and behold I got approval. It's been a long wait, I originally applied in April 2016, went on lwop in April of 2017, initial disapproval June 2017. I immediately apply for reconsideration and received my approval today in the mail. I didn't use a lawyer and filed all the paperwork on my own. I did read on here recently that someone had included a handwritten letter to the reconsideration board and was wondering if they had their approval because of that. Well I did the same thing and addressed each one of the issues that were noted on my initial denial. Having said all that, I was only approved for two of the many conditions that I submitted, but that doesn't really matter because I received the approval. To all of you who haven't received any word yet, hang in there and hope for the best. It seems this new reconsideration at Boyer's is looking at our reconsiderations with fresh eyes. I hope that all of your hard work turns out as mine did and that your approvals are forthcoming quickly. One more item of note, I did call two weeks ago and asked for elevation. Not sure if that's the reason my case got looked at but it did. Now I get to wait and see how long it takes to process this.
Tired  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 12:30:18 PM(UTC)
Tired

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: clancey Go to Quoted Post
Well all, I've been off of this for quite a while but decided today I needed to post. I went to the mailbox and low and behold I got approval. It's been a long wait, I originally applied in April 2016, went on lwop in April of 2017, initial disapproval June 2017. I immediately apply for reconsideration and received my approval today in the mail. I didn't use a lawyer and filed all the paperwork on my own. I did read on here recently that someone had included a handwritten letter to the reconsideration board and was wondering if they had their approval because of that. Well I did the same thing and addressed each one of the issues that were noted on my initial denial. Having said all that, I was only approved for two of the many conditions that I submitted, but that doesn't really matter because I received the approval. To all of you who haven't received any word yet, hang in there and hope for the best. It seems this new reconsideration at Boyer's is looking at our reconsiderations with fresh eyes. I hope that all of your hard work turns out as mine did and that your approvals are forthcoming quickly. One more item of note, I did call two weeks ago and asked for elevation. Not sure if that's the reason my case got looked at but it did. Now I get to wait and see how long it takes to process this.

Yay! Congrats, wonderful news.... now go celebrate!
Hurry up and Wait!
Navygirlgonepostal1  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 12:48:35 PM(UTC)
Navygirlgonepostal1

United States

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Great news!:)
It ain’t over till I sing my song. 😜
Nell  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:35:45 PM(UTC)
Nell

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Great news!!! YAY!!!
Frogger  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 5:48:57 AM(UTC)
Frogger

United States

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 70 post(s)
That is pretty awesome!
gembarok  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2018 6:39:32 AM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Congrats... yes the next "wait" is equally annoying and frustrating.

S/
K
limpy1  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2018 6:30:02 PM(UTC)
limpy1

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Congrats on your approval.

clancey  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2018 4:57:38 AM(UTC)
clancey

United States

Thanks for your well wishes guys. I just wanted to thank some of you out there who have kept these boards alive with your wisdom and assistance. I'm not sure if you know how much it's helped some of us, but it definitely was a Saving Grace in many areas for me. GSBS, I feel like you in particular have been extremely helpful to me ( and others I am sure). Navygirl, I think of you everyday and hope your case comes to a positive close soon. Keeping everyone informed of your progress and frustrations is not only helpful but makes us see that we aren't alone in this battle. Please hang in there and know there are many that are rooting for you. There are many others that I can't begin to name but you know who you are and, hopefully, know how much you're helping others.
Like I said earlier, I don't chime in here much but mostly because I didn't feel like I had anything constructive to add as you have all said it better in so many ways.
Okay, now that I feel like I've made an acceptance speech for some great award, I'll end this here. Please remember, you have earned this benefit so keep fighting the good fight. Lastly,keep shouting, as whispers sometimes go unheard.
thanks 3 users thanked clancey for this useful post.
Navygirlgonepostal1 on 5/20/2018(UTC), GSBS on 5/20/2018(UTC), Tired on 5/20/2018(UTC)
DroneBee  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2018 6:55:00 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Congrats!
Shirlington10  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2018 1:23:35 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have been following these threads for about a year and figured I would post my experience so some will not give up hope on the process. To summarize my medical conditions: open heart surgery in 2014, chronic migraine headaches and severe depression for which I was Baker Acted in Florida in early 2017.

I filed all my paperwork with my HR office in June of 2017, including all medical records going back to 2014 and physician statement from my primary care doctor. Received notice from Boyer’s that my paperwork was sent to DC for determination. Called OPM for a status update April 2018. They said it was “sent to second level review” a week prior to my phone call. Received an approval letter in the mail from OPM this past Friday; I was absolutely shocked as I was expecting a big hassle from the horror stories I have heard.

So if you are still waiting don’t give up hope and don’t assume you will be immediately denied the first time around.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Tired on 5/21/2018(UTC)
gembarok  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:36:08 PM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Shirlington10 Go to Quoted Post
I have been following these threads for about a year and figured I would post my experience so some will not give up hope on the process. To summarize my medical conditions: open heart surgery in 2014, chronic migraine headaches and severe depression for which I was Baker Acted in Florida in early 2017.

I filed all my paperwork with my HR office in June of 2017, including all medical records going back to 2014 and physician statement from my primary care doctor. Received notice from Boyer’s that my paperwork was sent to DC for determination. Called OPM for a status update April 2018. They said it was “sent to second level review” a week prior to my phone call. Received an approval letter in the mail from OPM this past Friday; I was absolutely shocked as I was expecting a big hassle from the horror stories I have heard.

So if you are still waiting don’t give up hope and don’t assume you will be immediately denied the first time around.

That is a messed up law. Congratulations on the approval.

S/
K
LeroyToliver  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:46:36 PM(UTC)
LeroyToliver

United States

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Congrats, good luck on your next chapter in life
clancey  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 12:00:36 PM(UTC)
clancey

United States

Hi folks, today I received my paperwork with the temporary login and that my first interim payment would begin on the 1st of July. I was quite surprised to receive this as I had read the stories about things taking so long. Needless to say I'm quite relieved that things are moving along. My only question is, if anyone can answer, there was no mention of the years worth of back pay since my last day of pay. Is that something that I receive later? Or did someone mess up my paperwork somewhere along the line?
GSBS  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 05, 2018 1:15:01 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 241 time(s) in 204 post(s)
Hi folks, today I received my paperwork with the temporary login and that my first interim payment would begin on the 1st of July. I was quite surprised to receive this as I had read the stories about things taking so long. Needless to say I'm quite relieved that things are moving along. My only question is, if anyone can answer, there was no mention of the years worth of back pay since my last day of pay. Is that something that I receive later? Or did someone mess up my paperwork somewhere along the line?

Cool, things look like they are moving right along, when I went through this there was no section online to follow any movement. This part of Federal Soup wasn't even here, those were the dark days indeed. You should see a mystery deposit into your account (make sure OPM has your current banking info) anytime. I don't know what it would look like or say on Retirement Services Online?
thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
clancey on 6/5/2018(UTC)
clancey  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 6:25:38 AM(UTC)
clancey

United States

So, a little update on interim payment. I received a guesstimate on my monthly interim payment in the beginning of June. It was a couple of days after I received that ( which I was due to receive starting July 1st 2018), that I received a statement regarding back pay bulk interim payment.
Well I figured the bulk payment would come on that July 1st payment as well, since I hadn't seen anything on services online. I called on Friday to ask what the status was and to see if there was something that I was missing regarding receiving that bulk payment.
Come to find out they had the wrong account number for my direct deposit and when they try to deposit the bulk payment it was rejected. I corrected it over the phone and the guy that I talked to was super helpful. I did tell him that I was surprised I hadn't received a phone call to clarify my bank number but I understood it wasn't his fault.
Today I called my bank and lo and behold the money was in there. Needless to say I'm thrilled I can finally pay some of those bills that have been piling up. Hang in there folks, it seems things are moving a little faster these days. It could be that they couldn't move much slower.

Edited by user Monday, July 02, 2018 7:29:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gembarok  
#16 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 12:36:45 PM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

I did tell him that I was surprised...

LOL... were ya really???

Today I called my bank and lo and behold the money was in there.

Greetings,

Now this to me is a surprise because I was under the impression that they held the back pay until finalization. Glad to see that is not true. Seems like policy and procedure are fluid to the say the least at OPM. Conrgrats.

S/
K
thanks 1 user thanked gembarok for this useful post.
clancey on 7/2/2018(UTC)
GSBS  
#17 Posted : Monday, July 02, 2018 1:32:04 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 241 time(s) in 204 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gembarok Go to Quoted Post

Greetings,

Now this to me is a surprise because I was under the impression that they held the back pay until finalization. Glad to see that is not true. Seems like policy and procedure are fluid to the say the least at OPM. Conrgrats.

S/
K
You would think the OPM could make a simple phone call to verify your current info and your benefit info as they have no idea if there are problems, AND they don't want to know...

Backpay (if due) usually comes in two installments, one up front paid at up to about $15K & one when OPM works out all the final numbers at the end of this madness.

Edited by user Monday, July 02, 2018 1:32:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked GSBS for this useful post.
clancey on 7/2/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed