Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GloriousCandy  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2018 11:39:33 AM(UTC)
GloriousCandy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I received a letter notifying me that I did not meet the suitability requirements of the FBI. I can't imagine why, and there was no reason cited in the letter, but I just wanted to reach out for some info and make a space for me to keep track of information and resources about this. And if anyone is knowledgeable about the adjudication process please feel free to chime in.

Because I know people will ask, I don't have a secret past that I hid, no drug use, no crimes, etc. I held a TS/SCI until 2012 and all I've done since is go to college and work. My BI started in August 2016 and hit suitability adjudication in April 2018.

So, here are some things I've found out so far:

1) The FBI does use OPM suitability standards found here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/5/731.202
EDIT: And also their own heightened drug standard which we are all familiar with.

2) The FBI is an excepted service agency, meaning it does not have to supply a reason an applicant is found unsuitable. All requests have to made as per the FOIA and the eFOIPA portal can be used to make an electronic request to the FBI.
* Also, according to the SA I know, there is a huge backlog. It's supposed to take 20 days, but will likely take MUCH longer.

Here are some things I'm unsure of:

1) Can I appeal?
I've found some resources on this, but not a lot. I found posts in which people say they have made an appeal to the FBI, but there's not a lot of info. I think the best idea here is to contact a federal employment attorney and then wait on my documents from the eFOIA request.
EDIT: Its possible to file an MSPB appeal, but it has to be within 30 days of the decision. Mine is going through Monday and with the help of an attorney just yo play it safe.

I know there aren't going to be a lot of people that have gone through this and stick around to post, but I'd be happy with pretty much any info I can get.

Good luck to everyone here! I hope your news is MUCH better than mine.

Edited by user Saturday, May 19, 2018 4:31:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: More info

Apply: 5/2016
Phase 1/2: 6/2016
Phase 3: 7/2016
CJO: 8/2016
PSI/Poly: 9/2016
BI: 8/2016 - Current
thanks 1 user thanked GloriousCandy for this useful post.
FLGK on 12/27/2018(UTC)
GloriousCandy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2018 6:14:20 AM(UTC)
GloriousCandy

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Update for any who are interested.

Appeals are filed internally, but you need the reason you were denied which is obtained through the FOIA request. This is not a short process by any means.

I'm almost positive I was denied because I'm bipolar. The attorney I consulted with said it's almost guaranteed, but to wait for FOIA request to come through.

It sucks, but it is what it is and I'll try to appeal. Perhaps it isn't that reason and is something else, but I doubt it.

For those with similar issues, I will save you a consultation fee:

If you have been diagnosed by the military or VA, make sure you have an actual formal diagnosis. There is supposed to be a several hour consult to formally diagnose a psychiatric illness, and often the military and VA diagnoses are made with insufficient data in just 15 minutes. I know I did not go through this process.

However, I feel pretty confident that I'm bipolar II, but I'll be getting a consult as well just to make sure. The attorney said he's seen no one with a bipolar diagnosis get a TS/SCI clearance and to aim for secret. Ouch, but I understand. He's paid to give me the best move forward, and I appreciate it.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them. I know it's got to be awkward talking to the person that just got denied suitability a week ago but Im hanging in there. When it comes down to it, I just wish I wasn't bipolar, but it is what it is.

My guess is that the 3 clearances denied for psychiatric issues statistic exists primarily because all got denied for suitability to save the candidate from a security denial and to encourage them to apply to another agency.

EDIT: Called my doctor and guess what? Turns out she's suspected I had a bad diagnosis since I started seeing her and that I have PTSD. The treatment is the same, and that's what she focused on. If you've ever been to a therapist you know they don't like to focus on labels.

So, in short, turns out I shot myself in the foot before I ever started racing and had no idea. Do yourself a favor and make sure you're properly evaluated before you even start. It can make an enomous difference. I sat down with the all of my interviewers and was cleared, but when it comes to the final adjudication they make the best call they can. A bad diagnosis does not help.

Edited by user Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:26:35 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Apply: 5/2016
Phase 1/2: 6/2016
Phase 3: 7/2016
CJO: 8/2016
PSI/Poly: 9/2016
BI: 8/2016 - Current
Rss Feed  Atom Feed