Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lolitsjicjac  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:23:50 PM(UTC)
lolitsjicjac

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

For those of you that have been extended and offer of employment how close was the compensation to that listed in the job description on the website.
Since every position comes with tiers of salary ranges depending on experience is that an accurate number they will offer?

Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:43:35 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 230 post(s)
Originally Posted by: lolitsjicjac Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

For those of you that have been extended and offer of employment how close was the compensation to that listed in the job description on the website.
Since every position comes with tiers of salary ranges depending on experience is that an accurate number they will offer?

The job posting will specify a pay grade and list the entire range of pay for that grade, for example a GS-12 in DC would list $81,548 to $106,012. You are almost always going to start at a step 1 which is the lowest figure.

You can find the GS Payscales here: https://www.opm.gov/poli...s/2018/general-schedule/

good luck
lolitsjicjac  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:50:42 PM(UTC)
lolitsjicjac

United States

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

The job posting will specify a pay grade and list the entire range of pay for that grade, for example a GS-12 in DC would list $81,548 to $106,012. You are almost always going to start at a step 1 which is the lowest figure.

You can find the GS Payscales here: https://www.opm.gov/poli...s/2018/general-schedule/

good luck

Oh great thanks!!
Do you know if they add on the locality pay over what grade you receive?
Endless Summer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2018 3:19:54 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 230 post(s)
Hello,

good luck

Oh great thanks!!

Locality pay is included in the figures on the webpage I linked to. In almost all cases, the range they quote you includes locality pay. So, you can count on receiving the lowest figure they list, generally speaking.
futurefbiagent2018  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 6:22:26 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hello,

good luck

Oh great thanks!!

Locality pay is included in the figures on the webpage I linked to. In almost all cases, the range they quote you includes locality pay. So, you can count on receiving the lowest figure they list, generally speaking.

https://www.opm.gov/poli...s/2018/general-schedule/

look at this link. Always visit the OPM website for specific questions.
NikeMike357  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2018 5:33:52 PM(UTC)
NikeMike357

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Does anyone know what is required to jump up a pay step and/or grade?

i.e. What would it take for the re-evaluation for a FJO from a CJO to jump a grade? I was told there is a formula they plug your work exp, academics, certifications, etc. and this is how they arrive at your original grade and step. Then, after the background process and because it usually takes so long that you have acquired new skills/exp they reevaluate and give you a new number.

I want to do everything I can while in the clearance process to up my value. Getting certifications is the the most effective thing I can think of to pad that formula.

Looking further, if you finish an advanced degree while at the NSA will they bump you up at that time or just take it into consideration the next time around?

Edited by user Saturday, June 9, 2018 5:50:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: More thoughts.

futurefbiagent2018  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 7:52:05 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: NikeMike357 Go to Quoted Post

i.e. What would it take for the re-evaluation for a FJO from a CJO to jump a grade? I was told there is a formula they plug your work exp, academics, certifications, etc. and this is how they arrive at your original grade and step. Then, after the background process and because it usually takes so long that you have acquired new skills/exp they reevaluate and give you a new number.

I want to do everything I can while in the clearance process to up my value. Getting certifications is the the most effective thing I can think of to pad that formula.

Looking further, if you finish an advanced degree while at the NSA will they bump you up at that time or just take it into consideration the next time around?

As a fed employee for 7+ years, I have never heard of such thing (jumping grade/steps after they have determined your pay based on what you put down on your application). I've seen people get promoted at their current jobs and then finding another job and having their salary adjusted based on that promotion. This is never gurantee some agencies required 52 weeks at a certain grade in order to promote you to the next grade/step. I don't think getting certifications/degrees/licenses will get you more pay unless these merits are required and will directly impact your job performance at the NSA or which ever agency you apply to because this applies across the board at the federal level.

This is how pay works at the federal level: skills equals "job compensation" (money) and each agency has a time-limited "compensation" for that specific job/grade/step. Every year, you are evaluated or "appraised." This determines career-path promotions, bonuses, etc, which can be automatically (depending on the agency/department) or pay adjustments can also be earned through merit (exceptional job performance). Even when you are on a career-path that says after certain amount of time you are due a promotion, it is not guaranteed 100%. This is mainly up to your chain of command/management team and what they think about your "performance" and how well you work on a team, etc. This can have a variety of meanings and I will leave that for another conversation but if you're in the "inner-circle" and you play politics, this will be automatically for you.

To address your question in a raw manner, you can have 10 masters degrees and 10 Phds and speak a billions languages and dialects and know the secrets of the universe etc, HR will NEVER adjust your pay based on this if you applied for an specific grade level and job tasks. These academic docs and languages do not apply your job, therefore in their eyes, there is no use for them and so why pay you for something that does not benefit them? this is how they see it. When you fight it and try to justify it, they will find 10000000000000000000000000000 reasons/excuses why your pay cannot be changed/adjusted send you on a labyrinth of laws and regulations along with their explanations. They don't care about additional skills/certifications if this won't be used to their benefit and won't directly impact your job performance, and mainly if they did not list it as a priority/requirement on the application or told you about it.

You are not the only one who has tried this, trust me lol. Currently, within the agency where I work, people who are highly qualified for their jobs (2-3 masters degrees and PhDs) have been fighting with HR for over two years to get pay adjusted based on academic degrees. HR has never given in to these arguments/claims EVER! sadly.

I am not trying to discourage you, but simply explain based on my experience.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:10:52 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

velcroTech  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:16:12 AM(UTC)
velcroTech

Cayman Islands

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 42 post(s)

I know for a fact if you finish an advanced degree you will get a bump. This is a quote directly from my recruiters email:
Quote:
As for your MS degree, I would suggest finishing it before EODing as it will affect your salary.

There are also hiring bonuses, just ask. They will not rescind your CJO just for asking.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:17:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:20:37 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1206 time(s) in 964 post(s)
Originally Posted by: velcroTech Go to Quoted Post

I know for a fact if you finish an advanced degree you will get a bump. This is a quote directly from my recruiters email:
Quote:
As for your MS degree, I would suggest finishing it before EODing as it will affect your salary.

There are also hiring bonuses, just ask. They will not rescind your CJO just for asking.
Prior to starting. Once in the position....not gonna happen.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
futurefbiagent2018  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:22:54 AM(UTC)

Quote:

I have a PhD and my salary wasn't adjusted based on my academics I think it all depends on the job you are applying for.
velcroTech  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:31:50 AM(UTC)
velcroTech

Cayman Islands

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 42 post(s)
Originally Posted by: futurefbiagent2018 Go to Quoted Post

Quote:

I have a PhD and my salary wasn't adjusted based on my academics I think it all depends on the job you are applying for.

It most definitely depends on the job you are applying for. There is some type of formula that they used because the recruiter didnt accept some of my work experience when she calculated my CJO because it lacked specific terminology that related to the position. But if the OP gets an advanced degree in the related field he/she will be eligible.

NikeMike357  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:58:54 AM(UTC)
NikeMike357

United States

My apologies for not being clearer. I have a CJO for a technical position. The Masters that I am working at is directly related to the position that I am being hired for. In addition, the certifications I will be working towards will also be directly related to the position as well. I understand that a Masters in geology will not do me much good in bumping my pay for an IT position.

As for a signing bonus that I saw mentioned a few posts ago, when is an appropriate time to renegotiate? I would assume when they offer you the FJO you can ask for more compensation?
frankgonzalez  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 10:44:40 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1206 time(s) in 964 post(s)
My apologies for not being clearer. I have a CJO for a technical position. The Masters that I am working at is directly related to the position that I am being hired for. In addition, the certifications I will be working towards will also be directly related to the position as well. I understand that a Masters in geology will not do me much good in bumping my pay for an IT position.

As for a signing bonus that I saw mentioned a few posts ago, when is an appropriate time to renegotiate? I would assume when they offer you the FJO you can ask for more compensation?
If you have a CJO, I would ask now. If you wait for the FJO, it would shift your EOD (because the requests have to be staffed, etc) at best. Right now, you have time...so delays now really won't impact your FJO and EOD.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
NikeMike357  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 11:40:04 AM(UTC)
NikeMike357

United States

Understood, thank you. I will take that into consideration.
futurefbiagent2018  
#15 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2018 11:40:45 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

If you have a CJO, I would ask now. If you wait for the FJO, it would shift your EOD (because the requests have to be staffed, etc) at best. Right now, you have time...so delays now really won't impact your FJO and EOD.

I will ask about bonuses as well. But I have a feeling this applies for science/math related jobs/fields. Do you know? were you given a bonus based on your job?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed