Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense


The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
watawata  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 4:12:12 AM(UTC)
watawata

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 9
United States

Thanks: 13 times
I have a firm offer from one DoD Agency (say, Agency A), and it's pending the clearance process and Entrance On Duty (EOD) Date. Agency A will let me start with interim clearance. Then, I should also have another tentative offer from another DoD Agency (say, Agency B), which could still take a couple of weeks to 30-days or so, but it should be a matter of time (per what the hiring manager told me). I accepted the first offer with Agency A, as this was the first and only tentative offer I had. Later on, I interviewed for Agency B, and supposedly expecting for a tentative offer, and I am leaning more towards Agency B. Both agencies are for the same series and pay grade.

My question is, once Agency A finishes setting up the EOD date (or getting close to it), and finally Agency B's tentative offer comes in, can I still decline Agency A's firm offer as long as I have not started my duty with Agency A yet? I know declining a firm offer may be "burning the bridge" after going through all that paperwork etc. but Agency B sounds more appealing to me. Any insight?
cyberfx1024  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 4:30:23 AM(UTC)
cyberfx1024

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/29/2015(UTC)
Posts: 281
United States
Location: Raleigh, NC

Thanks: 57 times
Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Originally Posted by: watawata Go to Quoted Post
I have a firm offer from one DoD Agency (say, Agency A), and it's pending the clearance process and Entrance On Duty (EOD) Date. Agency A will let me start with interim clearance. Then, I should also have another tentative offer from another DoD Agency (say, Agency B), which could still take a couple of weeks to 30-days or so, but it should be a matter of time (per what the hiring manager told me). I accepted the first offer with Agency A, as this was the first and only tentative offer I had. Later on, I interviewed for Agency B, and supposedly expecting for a tentative offer, and I am leaning more towards Agency B. Both agencies are for the same series and pay grade.

My question is, once Agency A finishes setting up the EOD date (or getting close to it), and finally Agency B's tentative offer comes in, can I still decline Agency A's firm offer as long as I have not started my duty with Agency A yet? I know declining a firm offer may be "burning the bridge" after going through all that paperwork etc. but Agency B sounds more appealing to me. Any insight?


Yes, it is possible to do this in fact I did this exact same thing in late November early December of last year. But the thing you need to figure out is that you need to make sure that Agency B's offer won't fall through. If it falls through after you decline Agency A's FO then that offer is gone for good and won't be coming back.
thanks 1 user thanked cyberfx1024 for this useful post.
watawata on 6/12/2018(UTC)
FatHappyCat  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2018 4:53:00 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/9/2011(UTC)
Posts: 593

Thanks: 3 times
Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Originally Posted by: watawata Go to Quoted Post
I have a firm offer from one DoD Agency (say, Agency A), and it's pending the clearance process and Entrance On Duty (EOD) Date. Agency A will let me start with interim clearance. Then, I should also have another tentative offer from another DoD Agency (say, Agency B), which could still take a couple of weeks to 30-days or so, but it should be a matter of time (per what the hiring manager told me). I accepted the first offer with Agency A, as this was the first and only tentative offer I had. Later on, I interviewed for Agency B, and supposedly expecting for a tentative offer, and I am leaning more towards Agency B. Both agencies are for the same series and pay grade.

My question is, once Agency A finishes setting up the EOD date (or getting close to it), and finally Agency B's tentative offer comes in, can I still decline Agency A's firm offer as long as I have not started my duty with Agency A yet? I know declining a firm offer may be "burning the bridge" after going through all that paperwork etc. but Agency B sounds more appealing to me. Any insight?


This is a free country and slavery has been outlawed since the 1865...

What does this mean? This means you can quit a job at any time for any reason or no reason at all. It doesn't matter what you signed or didn't sign. You can sign a final offer and turn down the job the day before. You can show up the first day of work, find out you don't like it and quit. Or the second day. Or the third day. I once gave my notice 21 days into a new job because I had a better offer on the table. You need to look out for #1 because no one else will.

However, like you said, there are consequences. Take a knee during the national anthem and don't be surprised if no one wants to sign you....

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
watawata on 6/12/2018(UTC)
nembamike  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:57:47 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/22/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,129

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 168 post(s)
As already posted I have seen both firm and tentative offers rescinded so keep that in mind when you make your decision which path to follow. There's a saying that goes something along the lines of a bird in a hand yada yada yada.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
watawata on 6/13/2018(UTC)
watawata  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 4:18:46 AM(UTC)
watawata

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 9
United States

Thanks: 13 times
Thank you, everyone :-) Now my new follow-up question is, when I receive my tentative offer from Agency B later on (hopefully), can I hold the Agency A's firm offer (I'm onboarding process now) until Agency B's tentative offer becomes a firm offer? Because in rare occasions, tentative offer may be rescinded by the agency before it becomes a firm offer, so I don't want to withdraw from my Agency A's firm offer until I have a firm offer from Agency B.
Redcone85c  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 4:47:34 AM(UTC)
Redcone85c

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/24/2018(UTC)
Posts: 5
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Why don't you want to accept final As offer?
thanks 1 user thanked Redcone85c for this useful post.
watawata on 6/13/2018(UTC)
nembamike  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:04:43 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/22/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,129

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 168 post(s)
Originally Posted by: watawata Go to Quoted Post
Thank you, everyone :-) Now my new follow-up question is, when I receive my tentative offer from Agency B later on (hopefully), can I hold the Agency A's firm offer (I'm onboarding process now) until Agency B's tentative offer becomes a firm offer? Because in rare occasions, tentative offer may be rescinded by the agency before it becomes a firm offer, so I don't want to withdraw from my Agency A's firm offer until I have a firm offer from Agency B.


Kind of depends on how quickly agency A wants you onboard. Remember agency B's offer may not come (if at all) for weeks, month etc. My opinion is plan on taking the first offer and hope the second one comes beforehand.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
watawata on 6/13/2018(UTC)
ex-military  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:53:15 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/19/2012(UTC)
Posts: 1,118

Thanks: 17 times
Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Originally Posted by: watawata Go to Quoted Post
Thank you, everyone :-) Now my new follow-up question is, when I receive my tentative offer from Agency B later on (hopefully), can I hold the Agency A's firm offer (I'm onboarding process now) until Agency B's tentative offer becomes a firm offer? Because in rare occasions, tentative offer may be rescinded by the agency before it becomes a firm offer, so I don't want to withdraw from my Agency A's firm offer until I have a firm offer from Agency B.


I am seeing a lot of "whens" and "ifs" in regard to Agency B. Until you are in the seat, you have nothing. If it was me, I would go get started at Agency A, then whenever Agency B gets around to making an offer, make the move. Too many things can go very wrong trying to juggle a firm offer and a "maybe, maybe not" offer (I hesitate to use "offer" with Agency B because you DON'T HAVE ONE).
thanks 1 user thanked ex-military for this useful post.
watawata on 6/13/2018(UTC)
FedCivServ  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 11:55:44 AM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 9/9/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,122

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 129 post(s)
i understand everything that has been said here but knowing how long it takes to hire someone, it makes me cringe to think someone will accept an offer and then get to the actual "welcome to the team stage" pretty much and then say "oh, i changed my mind." Can you do it? Yes. Should you do it? that's a different story. And you say "Agency B sounds more appealing". Have you done any research? Talked to folks who worked at both agencies or read anything about them? What something sounds like and what it is can be 2 different things. Just my 2 cents. The bird in the hand thing has real merit though; timing may not be in your favor unless Agency B gets something together pretty quickly.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
watawata on 6/13/2018(UTC)
watawata  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:41:22 PM(UTC)
watawata

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 9
United States

Thanks: 13 times
Thank you everyone for your insight. Yes, I agree, Agency B's "offer" does not even exist yet, it is just a "potential" offer, and a lot of "if and when" at this point. So, as most have suggested, I am still proceeding with onboarding process with Agency A. I will still be happy with Agency A and I am so grateful for the offer (it's a promotion for me). I just hope that Agency B's tentative offer (and then firm offer) will come through quick enough before Agency A sets a firm EOD date, so I can make my decision. Once I start working with Agency A (due to the timeline) and if Agency B's firm offer comes through after that, and if I decide to jump ship to Agency B, I'm sure it'd be like burning the bridge...

As for Agency A vs B, I have worked for both of them (just in different locations but in the same career field). Based on my experience, I really like Agency B's culture, level of expertise of the field, and future growth opportunities, and I got the same vibe from Agency B's interview, too. That's why I'm leaning a little more towards Agency B.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 13, 2018 4:00:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

USTrans  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2018 8:07:47 AM(UTC)
USTrans

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/17/2015(UTC)
Posts: 58
Man
Germany
Location: Kaiserslautern Military Community

Thanks: 11 times
Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: watawata Go to Quoted Post
Thank you everyone for your insight. Yes, I agree, Agency B's "offer" does not even exist yet, it is just a "potential" offer, and a lot of "if and when" at this point. So, as most have suggested, I am still proceeding with onboarding process with Agency A. I will still be happy with Agency A and I am so grateful for the offer (it's a promotion for me). I just hope that Agency B's tentative offer (and then firm offer) will come through quick enough before Agency A sets a firm EOD date, so I can make my decision. Once I start working with Agency A (due to the timeline) and if Agency B's firm offer comes through after that, and if I decide to jump ship to Agency B, I'm sure it'd be like burning the bridge...

As for Agency A vs B, I have worked for both of them (just in different locations but in the same career field). Based on my experience, I really like Agency B's culture, level of expertise of the field, and future growth opportunities, and I got the same vibe from Agency B's interview, too. That's why I'm leaning a little more towards Agency B.


Keep in mind the culture of an Agency/Command changes so quickly. One change in a Supervisor, or Deputy or coworker can change the tenor of everything.
thanks 1 user thanked USTrans for this useful post.
watawata on 6/21/2018(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 1.009 seconds.