Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MPE2009  
#41 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 6:07:56 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 392 time(s) in 298 post(s)
Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post

So tell me, what are the other short cuts you would take, besides crossing lawns. Which is not a short cut, it is trespassing. And could land you in jail for being a peeping tom of you are at the wrong place at the wrong time.

That's absurd. It's one thing to make a reasonable argument and stand by your opinion. It's completely different to distort reality to the point that you discredit your own argument.
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
postalvet on 6/15/2018(UTC)
roger.d  
#42 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 6:18:18 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 531 time(s) in 395 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

So tell me, what are the other short cuts you would take, besides crossing lawns. Which is not a short cut, it is trespassing. And could land you in jail for being a peeping tom of you are at the wrong place at the wrong time.

That's absurd. It's one thing to make a reasonable argument and stand by your opinion. It's completely different to distort reality to the point that you discredit your own argument.

When you carried mail it was a different world.

In todays world, I look out for myself.

ETA: I had a lady tell me I could cross her yard to avoidsome steeps. I gave her the peeping tom senerio. She agreed with my assessment.

Edited by user Friday, June 15, 2018 6:20:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MPE2009  
#43 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2018 6:31:28 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DetroitDogDodger Go to Quoted Post
In order to switch crafts within the installation do I speak to my manager or go right to the postmaster? How do I get his contact info? What are the chances of this happening? Don't even care what it is. I am beyond struggling and it's affecting me mentally in a bad way šŸ˜ž

Calm down. Relax. Take a deep breath. It takes time to learn a new office and new routes. I'm under the impression you're even in a new town, so relax. Focus on learning the names of your customers, the names of your forwards, your park points, route of travel, etc. ONE DAY AT A TIME, it's not a race, it's more of a marathon.

I respect your wisdom, as I believe you carried mail for quite a while. But, personally, if I was under stress due to the time I am taking on the route I would not even think about names and forwards until I was faster. Of course, knowing names helps one to case faster. The OP is concerned about being fired for being slow. I think picking up speed will help more than creating even more stress for himself by learning forwards. If he is the new guy he likely has a route that has a lot of MLNA and COAs. I doubt mgmt will be after him about COAs UNLESS he is "taking too long" and they are looking for something for which to nail him.

3 of the 5 carriers for whom I substitute don't gave a crap about customer service. So that is 60% of my deliveries about which I don't even have to think. I just look at the addresses. Of course, over time I will absorb stuff. But no way I am going to worry about learning names and forwards when 85% of the time I am not even on the route. And the other 2 carriers maintain their route properly. That makes is possible for me to do my job in the best way possible and I don't have to deal with a bunch of mail for people who were MLNA and the carrier refused to fill out a form.

I cased by name. I spent the majority of my career as a T6, carried over twenty and was a T6 and PTF for about 15-18 years of that time.. I always found the best way to learn the routes was by memory and the faster I learned the names, the easier the route was to carry. But it always sucked when the regular was clueless and didn't care. Hopefully his/her supervisor is smart enough to be patient for the time it takes to figure out how to carry high volume routes and organize your truck, etc. Regardless of what anyone thinks, carrying mail is hard. It requires lots of multi-tasking in your head, while eating away your body. Memory is your greatest asset next to physical health. It also takes organization in your mind and truck.
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
Hannah Blector on 6/16/2018(UTC)
TETastic  
#44 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2018 4:14:09 AM(UTC)
TETastic

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 55 post(s)

When you carried mail it was a different world.

In todays world, I look out for myself.

ETA: I had a lady tell me I could cross her yard to avoidsome steeps. I gave her the peeping tom senerio. She agreed with my assessment.

If I told someone they could cross my yard and they went into some weird peeping Tom rant Iā€™d rescind the offer too.
thanks 2 users thanked TETastic for this useful post.
MPE2009 on 6/16/2018(UTC), gammatron on 6/17/2018(UTC)
Seadogg  
#45 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2018 6:41:13 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 481 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Mgmt pretty universally requires carriers to cross lawns, absent instructions to the contrary. Their right to do so has been upheld numerous times.

At one point, Pittsburgh passed an ordinance to stop lawn crossing. The USPS sued. The nalc intervened on the city's behalf, but the USPS still won and invalidated the ordinance.
Just Cause  
#46 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2018 6:43:13 AM(UTC)
Just Cause

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 264 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DetroitDogDodger Go to Quoted Post
In order to switch crafts within the installation do I speak to my manager or go right to the postmaster? How do I get his contact info? What are the chances of this happening? Don't even care what it is. I am beyond struggling and it's affecting me mentally in a bad way šŸ˜ž

Calm down. Relax. Take a deep breath. It takes time to learn a new office and new routes. I'm under the impression you're even in a new town, so relax. Focus on learning the names of your customers, the names of your forwards, your park points, route of travel, etc. ONE DAY AT A TIME, it's not a race, it's more of a marathon.

I respect your wisdom, as I believe you carried mail for quite a while. But, personally, if I was under stress due to the time I am taking on the route I would not even think about names and forwards until I was faster. Of course, knowing names helps one to case faster. The OP is concerned about being fired for being slow. I think picking up speed will help more than creating even more stress for himself by learning forwards. If he is the new guy he likely has a route that has a lot of MLNA and COAs. I doubt mgmt will be after him about COAs UNLESS he is "taking too long" and they are looking for something for which to nail him.

3 of the 5 carriers for whom I substitute don't gave a crap about customer service. So that is 60% of my deliveries about which I don't even have to think. I just look at the addresses. Of course, over time I will absorb stuff. But no way I am going to worry about learning names and forwards when 85% of the time I am not even on the route. And the other 2 carriers maintain their route properly. That makes is possible for me to do my job in the best way possible and I don't have to deal with a bunch of mail for people who were MLNA and the carrier refused to fill out a form.

I cased by name. I spent the majority of my career as a T6, carried over twenty and was a T6 and PTF for about 15-18 years of that time.. I always found the best way to learn the routes was by memory and the faster I learned the names, the easier the route was to carry. But it always sucked when the regular was clueless and didn't care. Hopefully his/her supervisor is smart enough to be patient for the time it takes to figure out how to carry high volume routes and organize your truck, etc. Regardless of what anyone thinks, carrying mail is hard. It requires lots of multi-tasking in your head, while eating away your body. Memory is your greatest asset next to physical health. It also takes organization in your mind and truck.

It takes time. Everyone has their own learning curve. It will only get better. Learn the route and speed will come naturally.
MPE2009  
#47 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2018 7:02:22 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Originally Posted by: Just Cause Go to Quoted Post
It takes time. Everyone has their own learning curve. It will only get better. Learn the route and speed will come naturally.

And that is my point boiled down to perfection. One day and one step at a time.
roger.d  
#48 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2018 7:22:50 AM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 531 time(s) in 395 post(s)
I see no one has looked at the MOU on lawn crossing.

As for peeping tom. The human eye will naturally go to movement. If you are crossing in front of a window and your eye catches movement, you will look that way. Why on earth would you put yourself in that position.

Someone recently said "stop doing things that will get you in trouble". I agree completely.
Just Cause  
#49 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2018 7:39:54 AM(UTC)
Just Cause

Was thanked: 335 time(s) in 264 post(s)
There are a few from the MRS. Here is one:
M-00275

But, I am still waiting for the retiree to give one example of "short cuts". He said that he carried before. There are many short cuts that I am aware of, because I carry mail. Still waiting for the retiree for his.
StrawberryShake  
#50 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2018 8:06:04 AM(UTC)
StrawberryShake

Was thanked: 221 time(s) in 154 post(s)
Ok people when I said " shortcuts" other than cutting lawns and the obvious, I meant stupid unsafe shoemrtcuts like leaving your engine running etc. Stuff that will make it really easy to get fired and stuff that people fall into because they feel pressured. Way easier to get fired for that than being too slow. That's the only place I was going with that.
mailman617  
#51 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2018 11:09:31 AM(UTC)
mailman617

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I never cut through lawns. Alot of customers don't like you messing up their lawn for one. And it's a safety hazard there can be a dog in a yard you don't know about now you're already half way in harms way.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed