Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
roger.d  
#61 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2018 3:28:16 PM(UTC)
roger.d

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 467 post(s)
Originally Posted by: craigrh13 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: PA CCA Go to Quoted Post
I think it's terribly inefficient to NOT cut across lawns (again, unless the homeowner specifically asks you not to do it). But then again, I think it's crazy that anyone would put their LLV in park at every curbside delivery. I would think it would take forever to complete a route that way.

The PO requirs you to put the LLV in park/nutral at every curbside box. Failure to do so may put you in a 16.7 emergency leave status without pay. Then you will be fighting for your job back.

This is NOT a union rule to milk the time clock. It is the employers rule to reduce their liability for roll away/run away vehicles.

Yeah. Nobody puts their vehicles in neutral or park for every delivery on a mounted route of 600-800 stops. That’s just stupid. Nothing is ever said about it on any inspections either. Shifting that much is unsafe, causes too much wear and tear on the vehicle and flat out a waste of time. Did I mention unsafe?

What is unsafe about following the rules that management has instructed you to follow?

If you followed these rules, the route would not be 600 to 800 stops long.

In my bid cluster we have numerous mounted routes that are sub 500 delivery points.

I am working on a route cut because of the "load truck" scan requirement and "wear your satchel every time you dismount" requirement.

Their rules, I just follow them.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
thanks 3 users thanked roger.d for this useful post.
Hannah Blector on 6/25/2018(UTC), John Henry on 6/25/2018(UTC), RodOrRob on 6/25/2018(UTC)
craigrh13  
#62 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2018 4:43:37 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 41 post(s)
I think it's terribly inefficient to NOT cut across lawns (again, unless the homeowner specifically asks you not to do it). But then again, I think it's crazy that anyone would put their LLV in park at every curbside delivery. I would think it would take forever to complete a route that way.

The PO requirs you to put the LLV in park/nutral at every curbside box. Failure to do so may put you in a 16.7 emergency leave status without pay. Then you will be fighting for your job back.

This is NOT a union rule to milk the time clock. It is the employers rule to reduce their liability for roll away/run away vehicles.

Yeah. Nobody puts their vehicles in neutral or park for every delivery on a mounted route of 600-800 stops. That’s just stupid. Nothing is ever said about it on any inspections either. Shifting that much is unsafe, causes too much wear and tear on the vehicle and flat out a waste of time. Did I mention unsafe?

What is unsafe about following the rules that management has instructed you to follow?

In my bid cluster we have numerous mounted routes that are sub 500 delivery points.

I am working on a route cut because of the "load truck" scan requirement and "wear your satchel every time you dismount" requirement.

With your mindset it’s easy to understand why we are a sinking ship and on the verge of privatization and bankruptcy. Quit acting like a baby and do your job instead of trying to milk the company for every dime they have. It’s people like you that are ruining this place for everyone. Grow up.

roger.d  
#63 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2018 5:40:58 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 611 time(s) in 467 post(s)

With your mindset it’s easy to understand why we are a sinking ship and on the verge of privatization and bankruptcy. Quit acting like a baby and do your job instead of trying to milk the company for every dime they have. It’s people like you that are ruining this place for everyone. Grow up.

Every day I put in an honest days work.

Again, their rules, I follow them.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
thanks 1 user thanked roger.d for this useful post.
John Henry on 6/26/2018(UTC)
colty31  
#64 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2018 6:44:55 PM(UTC)
colty31

United States

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 52 post(s)
I agree with Roger. What's the point of purposely not following rules just to allow yourself to complete more deliveries per hour?

Seadogg  
#65 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:19:58 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 499 time(s) in 331 post(s)

I actually agree that shifting 1000+ times a day will ruin a transmission. But if you think a rule is stupid, wouldn't it make more sense to criticize the people who make the rule rather than those who follow it? Rules like this strike me as possibly dishonest - like they were written with no expectation they would be followed, instead used against craft employees in case of accident.

thanks 1 user thanked Seadogg for this useful post.
RodOrRob on 6/26/2018(UTC)
MPE2009  
#66 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2018 7:18:35 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 430 time(s) in 326 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Seadogg Go to Quoted Post
I actually agree that shifting 1000+ times a day will ruin a transmission. But if you think a rule is stupid, wouldn't it make more sense to criticize the people who make the rule rather than those who follow it? Rules like this strike me as possibly dishonest - like they were written with no expectation they would be followed, instead used against craft employees in case of accident.

It really is a stupid rule, esp in the LLV and the CRV?(don't remember exactly the acronymn, we received those a few months before I got out of that post office). Anyway, in the old jeeps and maybe in the half tons too, we had a stick on the floor. It was really simple to pop that into neutral at every stop and those jeeps took a pounding. But when we got the LLV's with a gear shift lever on the steering column.... shifting to neutral at every stop became stupid. I think that's why mgt never changed the rule, it didn't occur to anyone or they were too afraid to change it. I really don't think it has anything to do with screwing the carriers. It's simply an outdated legacy that nobody ever got rid of. So yeah, some mgr's probably do use it against craft, just like some craft tend to use it to jerk mgt around, esp on inspections and observations. But in the end it's still mgt's fault for not getting rid of a stupid rule and maybe somewhat the union's too if this is one of those rules the union would fight to keep.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 26, 2018 7:19:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RodOrRob  
#67 Posted : Tuesday, June 26, 2018 4:43:29 PM(UTC)
RodOrRob

Was thanked: 1078 time(s) in 773 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Seadogg Go to Quoted Post

It really is a stupid rule, esp in the LLV and the CRV?(don't remember exactly the acronymn, we received those a few months before I got out of that post office). Anyway, in the old jeeps and maybe in the half tons too, we had a stick on the floor. It was really simple to pop that into neutral at every stop and those jeeps took a pounding. But when we got the LLV's with a gear shift lever on the steering column.... shifting to neutral at every stop became stupid. I think that's why mgt never changed the rule, it didn't occur to anyone or they were too afraid to change it. I really don't think it has anything to do with screwing the carriers. It's simply an outdated legacy that nobody ever got rid of. So yeah, some mgr's probably do use it against craft, just like some craft tend to use it to jerk mgt around, esp on inspections and observations. But in the end it's still mgt's fault for not getting rid of a stupid rule and maybe somewhat the union's too if this is one of those rules the union would fight to keep.

Guess what?

These LLV's now = those old Jeeps.

There are many that pop out of gear, as they are all well over 20 years old now.

They have been used and abused like the jeeps were and routes are almost twice as long these days in an FSS environment.

Shifting to neutral is a rule for a reason...(I'll admit, I don't do that though)
Minnesota Postmaster  
#68 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 3:00:47 AM(UTC)
Minnesota Postmaster

United States

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 83 post(s)
As long as you are making casing standards and being safe do not worry. No working off of the clock.Your job takes so much from you why work for free. I understand that this is easy for me to say, considering that your co-workers are doing it. You can actually be disciplined for it. Your office sounds like one of the offices that I worked at in the 1980's. Please feel free to PM
Just because you are paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get you
thanks 1 user thanked Minnesota Postmaster for this useful post.
WorkingTitle3484 on 7/1/2018(UTC)
LeroyToliver  
#69 Posted : Saturday, June 30, 2018 6:00:49 AM(UTC)
LeroyToliver

United States

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Management already knows that you are jerking them around on route test days. Your real 'route inspection' happens on a daily basis through your scanner that creates an algorythim on your performance averages for every block, every day of the year. The scanner sends a ping on your exact location every 60 seconds from the time you move out to the street to the time you hit your return move to the station on that scanner. You have to give eight hours work for eight hours pay, the pace varies from person to person.
If your a speedwalker and cannot help yourself you need to do everyone a favor and shut up when you wind up with significantly more deliveries than your fellow co-workers. If you are just starting your career as a carrier you need to remember that you will be doing this for a minimum of thrirty years for your full retirement.
These federal websites keep pointing out that the minimum retirement age for federal employees can be moved to age 59 at any moment and who knows what it will go up to in a few more decades.. If you start with the USPS at age twenty today, that means you will have worked your body as a pack mule for 39 years minimum before retiring. Pace yourself if you want to make it to that finish line, the mail and management do not come before your physical and mental health.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed