Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
watawata  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 4:33:09 AM(UTC)
watawata

Groups: Registered
United States

This is for someone else. He is a brand new federal employee (DHS/CBP), and he is also in the Reserve component (National Guard, Reserve). He just started his first pay period, and he was told by his time keeper that the 120-hours of Military Leave hours won't be loaded until 1 October (for FY19, that is). I know 120 hours of Military Leave hours are loaded onto your LES after 1 October of each Fiscal Year, but when I started my first federal employment in mid Fiscal Year (and I am in the Reserve component, too), they still loaded the full 120-hours of Military Leave for use during that FY (and technically you can carry over to the next FY (only)).

We tried to look up information on OPM website about Military Leave, but it didn't specify if federal employee who are in the Guard or Reserve will get 120 hours of military leave on his/her first FY he starts federal employment. I was confused why his agency was telling him that he won't be receiving his 120 hours of Military Leave for this FY (since he started in the middle of FY).

If anyone knows of regulation etc. he can show his HR folks, it'd be greatly appreciated.
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:15:36 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 89 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Originally Posted by: watawata Go to Quoted Post
This is for someone else. He is a brand new federal employee (DHS/CBP), and he is also in the Reserve component (National Guard, Reserve). He just started his first pay period, and he was told by his time keeper that the 120-hours of Military Leave hours won't be loaded until 1 October (for FY19, that is). I know 120 hours of Military Leave hours are loaded onto your LES after 1 October of each Fiscal Year, but when I started my first federal employment in mid Fiscal Year (and I am in the Reserve component, too), they still loaded the full 120-hours of Military Leave for use during that FY (and technically you can carry over to the next FY (only)).

We tried to look up information on OPM website about Military Leave, but it didn't specify if federal employee who are in the Guard or Reserve will get 120 hours of military leave on his/her first FY he starts federal employment. I was confused why his agency was telling him that he won't be receiving his 120 hours of Military Leave for this FY (since he started in the middle of FY).

If anyone knows of regulation etc. he can show his HR folks, it'd be greatly appreciated.

The language used by OPM and in the statute is less than clear about new employees. This is guidance from OPM:

A Federal employee who is a member of the National Guard or Reserves is entitled to 15 days (120 hours) of paid military leave under 5 U.S.C. 6323(a) each fiscal year for active duty, active duty training, or inactive duty training. An employee on military leave under section 6323(a) receives his or her full civilian salary, as well as military pay. This leave accrues at the beginning of each fiscal year, and all Guard or Reserve members, including those on extended active duty, should be credited with 15 days of paid military leave on October 1 of each year.

The language in the statute is similar, but not exact:

Leave under this subsection accrues for an employee or individual at the rate of 15 days per fiscal year and, to the extent that it is not used in a fiscal year, accumulates for use in the succeeding fiscal year until it totals 15 days at the beginning of a fiscal year.

Since OPM indicates that the leave is "credited . . . on October 1 of each year," that could be read to mean it is credited for employees on the rolls as of that date. The employee should coordinate with his/her servicing human resources personnel and determine what policy, rule, regulation, law they are using to deny accrual to new employees whop came onboard during a fiscal year.
thanks 1 user thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
watawata on 6/13/2018(UTC)
watawata  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2018 3:46:52 PM(UTC)
watawata

United States

Thank you, @TheRealOrange :-)

we wished OPM guidance page was a little clearer, too. He inquired his HR rep (via his organization's time keeper) regarding the Military Leave accrual (for new fed employee). It may be agency specific (as opposed to OPM wide). Hopefully it will work out. It's just that he will have to use LWOP-Mil for his upcoming Annual Training (unpaid) this summer vs. Military Leave (paid).

ETA: He was able to clarify with his agency that he does in fact get full 120 hours of military leave loaded for use upon his first employment even if he starts in the middle of the FY.

Edited by user Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:17:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added info.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed