Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Commerce

The Commerce Department's mission is to help make American businesses more innovative at home and more competitive abroad. It is comprised of 12 different agencies responsible for everything from weather forecasts to patent protection. They include:

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cale399  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2018 10:02:59 AM(UTC)
Cale399

Groups: Registered
United States

So, why is that? Is it a sign of smaller workforce? Disgruntled workforce? Any insight is appreciated!

C
housemzk  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 10:42:04 AM(UTC)

I work for one of the subsidiaries within Commerce and I'm the only person I know that visits this site. Most of us have advanced degrees in STEM and live busy lifestyles. We're not that small either with 46k employees per a Google search.

Overall, I like working for Commerce. I'm in a performance based pay system and I'm rewarded every year for my hard work. A very positive work/life balance compared to my previous DoD gigs and I think a lot of us appreciate that.
DODtoDOCtoDOD  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2018 7:07:40 AM(UTC)
DODtoDOCtoDOD

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I worked for NOAA (under DOC) for 3 years and only ended my tenure there recently. Loved the work environment - compared to DOD it's so laid back that it truly was like working for all the "hippie weather folks" (I mean that in a good way). The main contributor that I saw that led to a lack of announcements at NOAA was that they heavily leverage there contractor work force for all junior and mid-tier positions. So much so that I didn't meet more than 5 people my entire time there that weren't in the ZP-04(GS-13/14) or ZP-05 (GS-15) paybands. Also, working on the new generation environmental satellite programs, you ran into a lot of scenarios where an extremely specialized skill set was required.

This is only 1 employee's experience though
DroneBee  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2018 11:41:47 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 84 post(s)
It seems that most Commerce folks like working in the Commerce department - Best Places to Work (http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/rankings/detail/CM00) ranks it 3 (behind NASA and HHS) out of 18 (Large Agencies).
Rss Feed  Atom Feed