Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Discopimp  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 8:12:30 AM(UTC)
Discopimp

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So apparently a carrier passed away on his or her route in our district this weekend. Not much details are out yet, not even in the local news. Management hasn’t even spoken on it. Such an unfortunate tragedy. Is it possible they want to cover it up so we don’t speak up on the issue that these old trucks have no AC and outdated fans???
z165012  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 8:18:39 AM(UTC)
z165012

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 19 post(s)
most workplace deaths/injuries go unreported...you hear about most police officer/fireman deaths of those in your local coverage area, some of them make national news, but for just a postal employee, I think it takes shooting up the building...

that said, I would expect a 'safety' talk from management about it...someone a district over had a dog repellant can explode in an LLV and break a window and we were told of it
postalvet  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 1:03:24 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2747 time(s) in 2149 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Discopimp Go to Quoted Post
So apparently a carrier passed away on his or her route in our district this weekend. Not much details are out yet, not even in the local news. Management hasn’t even spoken on it. Such an unfortunate tragedy. Is it possible they want to cover it up so we don’t speak up on the issue that these old trucks have no AC and outdated fans???

contact the union local president.

if you feel what you said about the above, have you filled a 1767?
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Hannah Blector  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 1:51:50 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Was thanked: 1062 time(s) in 692 post(s)
If I died on the job and no autopsy was required by law, I would hope my next if kin would authorize and insist on an autopsy.
RodOrRob  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 2:25:27 PM(UTC)
RodOrRob

Was thanked: 1088 time(s) in 783 post(s)
Was it possibly heat related?

Contact your NBA for assistance.

There is someone in national that monitors heat indices throughout the nation.
Discopimp  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 3:15:57 PM(UTC)
Discopimp

United States

postalvet  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 3:20:51 PM(UTC)
postalvet

started june 16, 1990

so sad.

http://php.app.com/agent...lemployees/details/91737

please take PLENTY of water and take HEAT breaks.

file 1767 like it is raining!!!!
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
John Henry  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 7:20:05 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Originally Posted by: z165012 Go to Quoted Post
most workplace deaths/injuries go unreported...you hear about most police officer/fireman deaths of those in your local coverage area, some of them make national news, but for just a postal employee, I think it takes shooting up the building...

that said, I would expect a 'safety' talk from management about it...someone a district over had a dog repellant can explode in an LLV and break a window and we were told of it

I'm in a neighboring district and we got the safety message. But then again the scanners have been hammering that message for weeks.

To the mention of fans up thread a few years ago we were getting messages don't worry about the fans because the only blow hot air on you. They were probably trying to fight people refusing to take out a vehicle with a bad fan. But then last year all of the disabled fans in 20 year old LLVs got replaced. I figure someone else paid the price for that safety improvement.
MPE2009  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 6:17:36 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 432 time(s) in 328 post(s)

Cover it up? LMAO, how in the world could they cover up a death? As far as outdated fans and no AC, what's new? You learn to work appropriately for the weather you have, that's how it is when you have a job that requires you to work outside.
Discopimp  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 6:47:54 AM(UTC)
Discopimp

United States

Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

Cover it up? LMAO, how in the world could they cover up a death? As far as outdated fans and no AC, what's new? You learn to work appropriately for the weather you have, that's how it is when you have a job that requires you to work outside.

You’d be surprised how many people “outside” of the post office don’t know these trucks don’t have working AC’s. Let me guess you’re part of management
John Henry  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:21:45 PM(UTC)

According to radio news O.H.S.A has opened an investigation on the death, the LA County has gotten around to the autopsy yet.

I am interested in how the focus on so called stationary events will be judged against the scanner suggestions to slow down.
TomCat  
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:11:26 PM(UTC)
TomCat

Man
United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)

I don't know if this is the same incident you're referring, but it has received quite extensive coverage:

http://www.foxla.com/new...in-truck-during-heatwave
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.
stillstuckhere  
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:21:14 PM(UTC)
stillstuckhere

Was thanked: 246 time(s) in 180 post(s)
In over 30 years with this outfit, I've never seen USPS's "commitment" to telling us (thru our scanners) to drink extra water, know the heat stress symptoms, check on your buddy, etc as they've done this year. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the Missouri carrier that died a few years ago, or issues in IOWA last year. Problem is, not once(unless my day off) have I seen the scanner, or mgmt.(in my office) tell carriers to "take extra breaks", as suggested by OSHA(preferably in the shade or place with AC). We had a CCA who thought their two-10 minute breaks was "only time" to take a break from the heat(they weren't told otherwise). Sadly, I hope this "work till you drop" attitude isn't everywhere. Watch out for yourself, don't depend on management to.
Human thought is so primitive it's looked upon as an infectious disease in some of the better galaxies. That kind of makes you proud, doesn't it? huh?---MIB
roger.d  
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:53:06 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 641 time(s) in 491 post(s)
Only you care about your safety.

Does management tell you how many times you can go to the bathroom? Hit a gas station 10 times if you need to in order to work through a heat spell.

Or cold weather if you live in the cold.
Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
donaldworrell  
#15 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 9:40:36 PM(UTC)
donaldworrell

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 39 post(s)
The most important thing ,for a carrier in the heat, is cold water. You cooler will hold only so much. CCA' s should be taught to not keep going without cold water. Stop and buy a bootle.
Hannah Blector  
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 6:28:20 AM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Was thanked: 1062 time(s) in 692 post(s)
I do recall quite a while back we got a scanner message that said something that could be interpreted as taking as many breaks as necessary. I don't recall the exact wording, but I was shocked they would put out something other than verbal that a carrier could use to excuse an extra break. Within a short time (days or weeks) I got a similar message that changed the wording to "approved breaks". And I thought there is no harm to carriers these *******s won't ignore to try to cover their butts while leaving open the ability to discipline anyone they want.
Seadogg  
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 11:37:37 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 513 time(s) in 340 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hannah Blector Go to Quoted Post
I do recall quite a while back we got a scanner message that said something that could be interpreted as taking as many breaks as necessary. I don't recall the exact wording, but I was shocked they would put out something other than verbal that a carrier could use to excuse an extra break. Within a short time (days or weeks) I got a similar message that changed the wording to "approved breaks". And I thought there is no harm to carriers these *******s won't ignore to try to cover their butts while leaving open the ability to discipline anyone they want.

The contract is very clear that comfort stops are unlimited "within reason". When it's 100 degrees out, that could mean many breaks. I have a hard time believing even the most psychotic manager could make discipline stick in this situation.
John Henry  
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 11:56:35 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Seadogg Go to Quoted Post

The contract is very clear that comfort stops are unlimited "within reason". When it's 100 degrees out, that could mean many breaks. I have a hard time believing even the most psychotic manager could make discipline stick in this situation.

Making discipline stick isn't what causes the morale problems it is carriers being called before the supervisor to explain at all. Also with carrier supervisors having to write to their bosses explaining stationary events.
karl malone  
#19 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 1:59:53 PM(UTC)
karl malone

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)

YEP I NOTICED THAT AS WELL IT WAS ABOUT TWO DAYS LATER.
thanks 1 user thanked karl malone for this useful post.
Hannah Blector on 7/14/2018(UTC)
postalvet  
#20 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 3:50:55 PM(UTC)
postalvet

should have taken a picture of the scanner.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed