Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TomCat  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 5:53:29 PM(UTC)
TomCat

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
This morning, the regular carrier in my PO got in an argument with the clerk over who is responsible for removing the straps and sleeves from DPS trays.
Until this clerk started working here, all the previous clerks removed them, but she told the regular that it is the carriers responsibility.

Whose job is it? Clerk? Or carrier?
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.
Hannah Blector  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:11:47 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Was thanked: 1062 time(s) in 692 post(s)
I would say a union clerk, which that person appears not to be. (that was tongue in cheek--I think the point of DPS is that clerks don't have to handle it so a carrier would remove the sleeve, etc.)

Edited by user Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:16:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

postalvet  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:12:39 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2747 time(s) in 2149 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TomCat Go to Quoted Post
This morning, the regular carrier in my PO got in an argument with the clerk over who is responsible for removing the straps and sleeves from DPS trays.
Until this clerk started working here, all the previous clerks removed them, but she told the regular that it is the carriers responsibility.

who ever management assigns
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Hannah Blector  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:15:28 PM(UTC)
Hannah Blector

Was thanked: 1062 time(s) in 692 post(s)
I am sure someone here will know of a ruling about DPS. If a sack of carrier-routed mail arrived, the carrier can take it out of the bag, etc. Details probably matter. In our office there are not sleeves or straps on DPS trays. But if it is already routed to the carrier, I would think that would be similar to a bag of mail dropped at a carrier's case.
Sjohns88  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:33:02 PM(UTC)
Sjohns88

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
FPS coming sleeved and strapped that’s so 1999 what district is this happening in
Seadogg  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:10:05 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 513 time(s) in 340 post(s)
Is this for real? Why would anyone care for a task that takes such a short amount of time? And if somehow you did, why not just ask mgmt, and follow their instruction? Seriously, there are plenty of actual problems to worry about without making up BS...
z165012  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:00:35 AM(UTC)
z165012

United States

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 19 post(s)
as a clerk, every office I have worked in the clerk either 'racks' the DPS or take it to the route, with the cardboard box OFF
TomCat  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:30:02 AM(UTC)
TomCat

Man
United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Originally Posted by: z165012 Go to Quoted Post
as a clerk, every office I have worked in the clerk either 'racks' the DPS or take it to the route, with the cardboard box OFF

That's how it was done here for years, but racked, not taken to the case.
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.
MPE2009  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:22:53 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 432 time(s) in 328 post(s)

1. DPS strapped and sleeved? I've never heard of that.
2. Who cares? Tell the carrier to shut up and get back to work, tell the clerk to quit being an a$$ and do his/her job.
3. It's the job of everybody to get the mail out. Sleeving and unsleeving is not relegated to any specific person. But apparently in this case, the supervisor needs to tell two children to shut up, get to work and then make this childish decision for two adult children.

The stupid drama we create is incredible...
John Henry  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:38:13 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Seadogg Go to Quoted Post
Is this for real? Why would anyone care for a task that takes such a short amount of time? And if somehow you did, why not just ask mgmt, and follow their instruction? Seriously, there are plenty of actual problems to worry about without making up BS...

It takes no time if the carrier does it for his 3 to six trays. If a clerk has to do for a station of X amount of routes it might help that clerk make his 8 hours for that day. Why would a clerk want to give up another function after the craft had been decimated by automation makes no sense at all to me. But then I have been watching carriers move to the clerk function and do their work for 25 years and seeing ever fewer clerks on our work room floor.

That said. I have never seen straps or boxes with DPS and it is not taken to the case out of fear that the carrier will "cheat" and merge it with the residual mail in the case. The carrier pulls down goes to the APC to pick up the trays of DPS, often having to dig through other route's DPS to get it out of the way first, (where up to half of the carriers gets to waste the time instead of one clerk) and taking it all to load in the route's truck.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
baxter0 on 7/12/2018(UTC)
roger.d  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:41:32 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Was thanked: 641 time(s) in 491 post(s)
Originally Posted by: John Henry Go to Quoted Post

It takes no time if the carrier does it for his 3 to six trays. If a clerk has to do for a station of X amount of routes it might help that clerk make his 8 hours for that day. Why would a clerk want to give up another function after the craft had been decimated by automation makes no sense at all to me. But then I have been watching carriers move to the clerk function and do their work for 25 years and seeing ever fewer clerks on our work room floor.

That said. I have never seen straps or boxes with DPS and it is not taken to the case out of fear that the carrier will "cheat" and merge it with the residual mail in the case. The carrier pulls down goes to the APC to pick up the trays of DPS, often having to dig through other route's DPS to get it out of the way first, (where up to half of the carriers gets to waste the time instead of one clerk) and taking it all to load in the route's truck.

I believe you are a carrier. Do you want a clerk delivering the mail?

Learn to discipline yourself, so someone else doesn't have to
roger.d  
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 6:42:34 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

2. Who cares? Tell the carrier to shut up and get back to work, tell the clerk to quit being an a$$ and do his/her job.
3. It's the job of everybody to get the mail out. Sleeving and unsleeving is not relegated to any specific person. But apparently in this case, the supervisor needs to tell two children to shut up, get to work and then make this childish decision for two adult children.

Who cares? Do you approve of a clerk fixing a machine that you shoud be fixing?
John Henry  
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:23:51 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Originally Posted by: roger.d Go to Quoted Post

Which was exactly my point the NALC and its members protect their jobs from other crafts. Clerks, at least those working in delivery stations, were forever asking for PTF carriers or now CCAs to help do their functions from spreading the mail to the carrier cases to working the hot cases and then more and more bid jobs got withdrawn from the station. And now with new automation and a PSE coming in for a day to throw parcels to "chain 21" a CCA knows the better than the clerk craft subs scheme and if that one scheme trained clerk goes on leave it is again a carrier doing the clerk's role.
roger.d  
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:33:50 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Which was exactly my point the NALC and its members protect their jobs from other crafts. Clerks, at least those working in delivery stations, were forever asking for PTF carriers or now CCAs to help do their functions from spreading the mail to the carrier cases to working the hot cases and then more and more bid jobs got withdrawn from the station. And now with new automation and a PSE coming in for a day to throw parcels to "chain 21" a CCA knows the better than the clerk craft subs scheme and if that one scheme trained clerk goes on leave it is again a carrier doing the clerk's role.

Opps.

I mis interpreted your post.

The clerks wonder why they loose jobs. Yet they allow management to do it without filing a grievence. Or other craft.

In my instalation, this would be a MH job.

Several years ago I was chewed out by a MH because I started to open a cage to get some firm mail out. Opening the cage was his job, not mine. So be it.
Seadogg  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:39:17 PM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 513 time(s) in 340 post(s)

No kidding. They need to scheme train more clerks. Many carriers know the scheme well enough to throw parcels/hot case WAY more efficiently than a newer clerk. Maybe they could make a deal - allow an experienced carrier to do an hour of clerk work, then send a clerk out to do an hour of express/late post.
roger.d  
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:48:06 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Maybe they could make a deal - allow an experienced carrier to do an hour of clerk work, then send a clerk out to do an hour of express/late post.

H E L L no!

If a local ever agrees to this a special election should be held to out the leadership.

MPE2009  
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:55:03 PM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Removing sleeves from trays specifically routed to an individual carrier is the responsibility of whoever management assigns. It is not a craft specific job. So your comment is irrelevant since a machine needing to be fixed is different than a clerk pulling a jam, where the duties are clearly defined.
roger.d  
#18 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:37:43 PM(UTC)
roger.d

United States

Removing sleeves from trays specifically routed to an individual carrier is the responsibility of whoever management assigns. It is not a craft specific job. So your comment is irrelevant since a machine needing to be fixed is different than a clerk pulling a jam, where the duties are clearly defined.

And you believe this is not a clearly defined operation.

That is unfortunate.
MPE2009  
#19 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 6:15:30 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

And you believe this is not a clearly defined operation.

That is unfortunate.

Okay, show me where it is written that removing sleeves and straps from trays is a clerk function or that carriers are prohibited from performing that duty. Mailhandlers at the plant and clerks both desleeve trays as part of their daily assignments. I have seen nothing in writing that prohibits carriers from performing that duty. That is where this forum can perform best, giving references to finding that kind of information in writing.

postalvet  
#20 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 8:57:52 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2747 time(s) in 2149 post(s)
to the op

turn in a suggestion that the plant stop sleeving the dps.

site time wasting as a reason.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
Rss Feed  Atom Feed