Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dodsan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:10:31 PM(UTC)
dodsan

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Anyone have any experience with coming back from an OCONUS tour and what PCS entitlements are given by the losing (OCONUS) command when you return back to the old job or a new position in the US?

Do you get the same benefits like Foreign Transfer Allowance, TQSA, etc. when you move back? I understand that the losing command will cover the HHG shipment, but was not sure about the other entitlements associated with PCS.

Thanks

FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:57:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 79 post(s)
It's basically the same but don't forget that it must be on your orders otherwise you won't be able to claim it.

Note - if you are a civilian due to the changes made from the new tax law effective 1-1-18, the entire amount of your move is now considered income and is taxable. Because it is a sizable amount be careful as this may set you into a higher tax bracket. This tax does not apply to uniformed personnel PCS = civilians f00ked in the @$$ basically.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
dodsan on 8/13/2018(UTC)
Al329  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2018 4:46:52 AM(UTC)
Al329

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Depends ... are you rotating back to a new job? PPP hit?

Lets say you moved OCONUS from DC and found a new job in California. They will pay for your HHG shipment back to DC .. you have to pay the difference to California.

Now say you had a PPP hit for that job in Cali .. they would pay HHG all the way...TQSE .. all them bennies.

Unit moved you OCONUS.. they will pay to move you back. But to what extent all depends....
JDSIII  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2018 10:51:49 PM(UTC)
JDSIII

Man
Germany

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Great question! You will definitely have HHG, vehicle shipment and 10 days TQSE covered leaving the OCONUS duty (if you fulfilled your service requirements) My question is about entitlements upon returning to your old duty location, would an employee be entitled to TQSE? I received both when I left.

Originally Posted by: Al329 Go to Quoted Post

Depends ... are you rotating back to a new job? PPP hit?

Lets say you moved OCONUS from DC and found a new job in California. They will pay for your HHG shipment back to DC .. you have to pay the difference to California.

Now say you had a PPP hit for that job in Cali .. they would pay HHG all the way...TQSE .. all them bennies.

Unit moved you OCONUS.. they will pay to move you back. But to what extent all depends....

dodsan  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2018 3:37:08 PM(UTC)
dodsan

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I got some answers (but understand that each situation is unique and may be different):

Leaving OCONUS, I get:
*HHG, Express, Pro-gear Shipment
*TQSA=10 Days of lodging/perdiem prior to my flyout date
*one-way airline tickets to the new duty station or to my actual residence

Once I arrive CONUS, I get:
*TQSE=30 days lodging/perdiem (can be longer with command approval for special circumstances)
*Holding of Non-temporary Storage for about 1 more month before I am required to have it delivered or retrieve it

Biggest differences are: no foreign transfer allowances, no 3-month advance pay loans, and the duration of TQSE at the new duty station

Edited by user Tuesday, October 09, 2018 6:33:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked dodsan for this useful post.
JDSIII on 10/9/2018(UTC)
CertifiedSinecure  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2018 12:10:28 PM(UTC)
CertifiedSinecure

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Federal Travel Regulation
https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/FTR.pdf

Returning from OCONUS to CONUS is page 180 or search for §302-3.101

Column 1—
Relocation allowances that agency must pay or reimburse

(1) Transportation & per diem for employee & immediate family member(s) (Part 302-4 of this chapter).
(2) Temporary quarters subsistence expense (TQSE) (Part 302-6 of this chapter).
(3) Miscellaneous expense allowance (Part 302-16 of this chapter).
(4) Sell & buy residence transaction expenses or lease termination expenses (Part 302-11 of this chapter).
(5) Transportation & temporary storage of household goods (Part 302-7 of this chapter).
(6) Extended storage of household goods only when assigned to a designated isolated official station in CONUS (Part 302-8 of this chapter).
(7) Relocation income tax allowance (RITA) (Part 302-17 of this chapter).

Column 2—
Relocation allowances that agency has discretionary authority to pay or reimburse

(1) Shipment of a privately owned vehicle (Part 302-9 of this chapter).

I ended up paying 17% of the cost myself in taxes (after WTA and RITA were applied). That was wildly unexpected since I PCSed before January 1, 2018 but I was still on the hook because my agency didn't pay the bill until March. The rule didn't even come out until May.
thanks 2 users thanked CertifiedSinecure for this useful post.
S D Analyst on 10/15/2018(UTC), JDSIII on 10/15/2018(UTC)
B-Rad  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2018 3:36:31 PM(UTC)
B-Rad

United States

I was a stateside hire (DC area) PCS'd to Okinawa for about 6 years. Just PCS'd back to states (HI) 7 months ago. I was inside my PPP window but accepted a job on my own. I thought I would get the 10 days TQSE at the stateside location but this was not an automatic. I had to request TQSE from the gaining unit and got them to agree and amend the orders to reflect 10 days of TQSE. It took me 5 & 1/2 months of fighting with DFAS to finally get my TQSE lump sum reimbursed and it was less about 30% in taxes than what I thought I would receive.

Then just this morning I get a letter from DFAS basically saying I am having a letter of indebtedness drafted up now by them for the amount of taxes THEY WILL pay and then take from me for my PCS. I have no idea how much they will basically say I owe since I have no idea how much my HHG shipment cost from Okinawa to Hawaii was, but I do know my plane tickets were about 2300 (luckily I sourced my own and didn't go with the Gov's ridiculously priced ones) and I know my TQSA 10 day cost was about 2500.

Here is the letter (email) I received this morning.

Civilian Relocation Traveler:

Effective January 1, 2018, under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) the following civilian relocation allowances became taxable:

Lodging expenses for en route travel to the new duty station
Mileage for using privately-owned vehicle to travel to the new duty station
Transportation using common carrier (e.g., airline) to the new duty station
Shipment of household goods (HHG)
Temporary storage of HHG in transit
Shipment of mobile home in lieu of HHG
Extended storage of HHG for assignments Outside the Continental United States (OCONUS)
Transportation of POV in the Continental United States (CONUS) and OCONUS

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) was not able to withhold taxes from those reimbursements under the TCJA until November 1, 2018, because of incomplete guidance from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The IRS issued Notice 2018-75 on September 21, 2018 clarifying that the TCJA applies only to payments or reimbursements for expenses incurred in connection with moves that occurred after December 31, 2017. The TCJA will apply to travel orders issued in 2018 and thereafter.

DFAS Rome Travel Pay will process administrative corrections to claims paid in 2018 for travel orders issued after December 31, 2017 if taxes owed under the TCJA were not withheld. These administrative corrections will result in a debt to the relocated employee in the amount of the income tax withholding owed under the TCJA.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO ME?

You have been identified as having a civilian relocation travel order issued in 2018 where a reimbursement was paid in 2018 but was not taxed. Employees who require a correction to their tax withholdings do not need to file any additional paperwork. DFAS will prepare an administrative correction by using the supporting documentation from the original claim submission.

HOW DOES THIS AFFECT MY 2018 TAXABLE INCOME?

DFAS will compute the tax withholding due on the relocation allowances and remit the taxes to the IRS within the 2018 tax year. Your taxable income for 2018 will be increased by the amount of the civilian relocation reimbursements you previously received that are now taxable income under the TCJA. DFAS will ensure that your 2018 IRS Form W-2 reflects your correct taxable income for tax return purposes.

WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY TAX ADJUSTMENT DEBT?

Debt notifications will be distributed to the affected employees after the administrative corrections are completed. DFAS estimates the debt notifications will begin in January 2019.

HOW CAN I PAY MY TAX ADJUSTMENT DEBT?

The debt notification issued by the DFAS Accounts Receivable department will contain information on payment procedures. Debts may be paid in full within 30 days from the date of the notice or employees may enter into a voluntary repayment agreement plan through payroll deductions if they cannot make payment in full.

WILL MY RELOCATION INCOME TAX ALLOWANCE (RITA) CLAIM BE AFFECTED?

No. If you qualify for a RITA, then you may submit a RITA claim in 2019 as soon as you file your income taxes to the IRS. The RITA is designed to reimburse you for substantially all federal and state income taxes incurred as a result of civilian relocation reimbursements.

To find more information regarding RITA filing please visit: https://www.dfas.mil/civ...relocationincometax.html

Please contact the Customer Care Center at (888) 332-7366 or by email at dfas-travelpay-ccc@mail.mil for any additional questions.

Dain Rasmussen
Director, Travel Pay Operations
DFAS Rome

Rss Feed  Atom Feed