Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

7 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
motherofdragons  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2018 9:07:41 AM(UTC)
motherofdragons

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
No update on my account, but got a call from an agent asking if I was still interested in the position, which was simultaneously nice but also upsetting. He left a voicemail so I got excited I was finally cleared only to be told I am still in the process, but that there were no issues so far.

Background started January 2017, so...still just sitting around...

Hopefully good news for you!!
Scootz2310  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2018 6:19:03 AM(UTC)
Scootz2310

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: motherofdragons Go to Quoted Post
No update on my account, but got a call from an agent asking if I was still interested in the position, which was simultaneously nice but also upsetting. He left a voicemail so I got excited I was finally cleared only to be told I am still in the process, but that there were no issues so far.

So you've already been through the PSI interview and the polygraph?
Scootz2310  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 24, 2018 7:54:43 AM(UTC)
Scootz2310

Speaking of the poly, I have mine scheduled for next week, and had my PSI last week. I have a huge concern that's stressing me out

After my PSI, I remembered things that I did in the past that didn't cross my mind at all during the PSI interview, and now I'm afraid that those things I didn't remember might come back to bite me and I will fail my poly next week. The things I didn't remember were from 10 years ago (when I was 18, I'm 28 now) and some smaller things that are more recent, but not bad enough that they popped in my head to confess at the time.

Would it be a good idea to contact the Special Agent who conducted the PSI to admit those things before the poly, wait for the poly to mention those things before the poly starts, or will it be fine to just wait to take the poly and answer the questions normally?
motherofdragons  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2018 7:26:59 AM(UTC)
motherofdragons

United States

Originally Posted by: Scootz2310 Go to Quoted Post

So you've already been through the PSI interview and the polygraph?

Yes, I actually did it all twice, once January 2017 when it all started and then January of this year, they said since it had been a year I had to go in and do it all again, so I did. They told me it would not be starting over, just updating, but still no word apart from the Agent calling me.
motherofdragons  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2018 7:29:18 AM(UTC)
motherofdragons

United States

Originally Posted by: exj Go to Quoted Post

What an odd thing to ask O_O

And I think both of our BIs must have started around the same time. I officially accepted my CJO late December 2016, and did my eQuip stuff early January 2017. All my PSI and poly were very soon after that, then I had to do the poly again this year because it expired (apparently it's only good for a year at a time?).

Lots of waiting! Hopefully we both get our calls soon. I wonder if there are anymore 2018 classes with spots open.

Yep! It sounds like we have pretty much the exact same timeline haha. I also had to redo my poly since it had been a year. Last I heard, there were no spots until January 2019, but it seems like there are always a lot of different messages going around at the same time, so who knows! Fingers crossed we are done soon!
Scootz2310  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 04, 2018 12:18:55 PM(UTC)
Scootz2310

Has anyone experienced their polygraph being scheduled, but then the week you were supposed to have it, your polygrapher became suddenly unavailable and they had to cancel your polygraph? That happened in my area office, and I'm wondering how long it took for others to have their polygraph rescheduled if that happened to them.

I'm getting a little stressed about the polygraph and honestly want to get it over with! The waiting is making me more anxious and I'm afraid I might fail when its finally time to take it.
Guyonabuffalo  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 04, 2018 12:37:13 PM(UTC)
Guyonabuffalo

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Has anyone experienced their polygraph being scheduled, but then the week you were supposed to have it, your polygrapher became suddenly unavailable and they had to cancel your polygraph? That happened in my area office, and I'm wondering how long it took for others to have their polygraph rescheduled if that happened to them.

I'm getting a little stressed about the polygraph and honestly want to get it over with! The waiting is making me more anxious and I'm afraid I might fail when its finally time to take it.

It's best not to stress about it. Obviously easier said than done. If you have read everything carefully in regard to what the disqualifiers are and have been candid in your responses then you have nothing to worry about.
App - 4/16
BI - 9/17
Vlad73  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 11:04:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
New Analyst posting yesterday (8/27).
Queue4Q  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:38:32 AM(UTC)
Queue4Q

United States

Originally Posted by: Vlad73 Go to Quoted Post

I'm smack in the middle of my BI right now so I have no clue what's going on. Would it be prudent to reapply to the new posting just in case or at this point in the process does it not matter?
2017 FBI IA
PI&II: 2/18
PIII&CJO: 5/18
PSI&Poly: 6/18
BI: 7/18
motherofdragons  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:25:12 AM(UTC)
motherofdragons

United States

Originally Posted by: Queue4Q Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Vlad73 Go to Quoted Post

I'm smack in the middle of my BI right now so I have no clue what's going on. Would it be prudent to reapply to the new posting just in case or at this point in the process does it not matter?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see why you would reapply...you are already through the entire process and just waiting to be cleared, it would not speed it up and may just confuse things. I applied in 2016 and have been in background since January 2017. It's just a long process; there are still people from 2016 other than me who haven't been cleared yet. If your background just started a month ago, I would imagine you have at least 6 more months if not more to wait for your background to be cleared.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:26:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scootz2310  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:37:55 AM(UTC)
Scootz2310

What do you think makes them take so long for some and not so long for others? 2 years of a BI seems ridiculous
motherofdragons  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 7:30:58 AM(UTC)
motherofdragons

United States

What do you think makes them take so long for some and not so long for others? 2 years of a BI seems ridiculous

I wish I knew exactly! I assume with mine it is mostly foreign travel - I haven't gone anywhere suspicious, just western Europe, but I have been there a lot and heard that can really slow it down. On top of that, I got my Master's degree from a school in the UK, so that was a whole year I was living abroad as well. I am in my early 20s, so I did not think it would take this long, but it is hard to say what the hold up is because no one really knows how the process works, it is very much on a case by case basis. Someone who is older than me but with less foreign travel may take less time. Maybe whoever is doing my background took a long vacation. All the investigators are people with jobs and lives too who probably have a number of investigations they are doing. I will just say that it does drain a lot from you focusing on it, so all I can say is anyone who is stuck in this phase, maybe you will be done faster than me, maybe not, but prepare yourself mentally for a long wait. If you don't it can easily dampen your spirits.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 29, 2018 7:31:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked motherofdragons for this useful post.
Scootz2310 on 8/29/2018(UTC)
CWilliams81  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 6:27:48 AM(UTC)
CWilliams81

United States

I just applied to the September vacancy and I have a few questions:

1) Will there be a chance to sit down with someone and ask questions, similar to the SA “Meet and Greet”?

2) I took the Phase 1 year for SA in 2016, will I have to redo it for IA or is it the same test?

Thanks and good luck to everyone in the process!

Scootz2310  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 10:12:05 AM(UTC)
Scootz2310

Originally Posted by: CWilliams81 Go to Quoted Post
I just applied to the September vacancy and I have a few questions:

1) Will there be a chance to sit down with someone and ask questions, similar to the SA “Meet and Greet”?

2) I took the Phase 1 year for SA in 2016, will I have to redo it for IA or is it the same test?

Thanks and good luck to everyone in the process!

Yes, I took the Phase I test for the SA position in 2017 and I had to take the Phase I test again for the IA position this year.
There wasn't a 'Meet and Greet' for the IA process (at least for me there wasn't), it went from Phase I > Written Exam > Phase 2 Interview
thanks 1 user thanked Scootz2310 for this useful post.
CWilliams81 on 9/10/2018(UTC)
CWilliams81  
#15 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 12:24:40 PM(UTC)
CWilliams81

United States

Thanks for the info Scootz!

So is there any opportunity to ask informal questions about the job, hiring process, etc. before showing up at Quantico??
MarieJeanVR  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:01:59 AM(UTC)
MarieJeanVR

United States

Do you guys know if they wait to contact you until after the vacancy closes or if it can happen before? Casually stalking my application for updates,ha.
Scootz2310  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:25:58 AM(UTC)
Scootz2310

So is there any opportunity to ask informal questions about the job, hiring process, etc. before showing up at Quantico??

I'm not sure... other than what we can read about the job on the FBI website, there wasn't much opportunity to ask about more info. Maybe when you get to the PSI interview stage, you can ask the person conducting the PSI (as I did) for info about the position
Varianz  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 2:33:52 AM(UTC)
Varianz

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Poplou Go to Quoted Post

This is a very concerning question... you have to remember that you are signing up for basically a two year minimum commitment that will see your life drastically impacted as far as relocation. It's concerning because, with that in mind, you don't appear to know what the job you are signing up for actually is at this point.

Intelligence itself is not a mystery. There are certain practices, methods, etc that are universally the same. There are tons of books, college classes, etc out there that specifically will inform you what intelligence is all about. As far as specifically the FBI culture, you can visit sites like GlassDoor to get some feel as to how people feel about the culture.

As for the people asking "Why it is taking so long for me and not others to actually be hired".... the answer is you probably have a humanities/social science degree. You are therefore on the back burner when there are STEM, accounting, etc majors in the mix as slots are filled. FYI, if you have a criminal justice degree, contrary to what many think, you are basically dead last in priority to hire over almost any other major.

Lol get off your high horse man, he wanted to know if he could ask some questions, it's a totally reasonable ask. I swear, some people on this site have some kind of weird HR Stockholm Syndrome/superiority complex.

Anyways. It's interesting to see that this is open for so long. I'm going to try and get my submission in soon, but it doesn't seem to matter? Curious if it's "rolling applications" or something like that.
thanks 1 user thanked Varianz for this useful post.
Queue4Q on 10/29/2018(UTC)
Queue4Q  
#19 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 9:49:47 AM(UTC)
Queue4Q

United States

Originally Posted by: MarieJeanVR Go to Quoted Post
Do you guys know if they wait to contact you until after the vacancy closes or if it can happen before? Casually stalking my application for updates,ha.

I don't know how it was for others, but when I applied in September 2017, I wasn't contacted to start testing until February of this year. In those intervening months, it was radio silence. I was actually surprised when I got the notification to begin testing because I had completely forgotten about applying and had given up at that point.
2017 FBI IA
PI&II: 2/18
PIII&CJO: 5/18
PSI&Poly: 6/18
BI: 7/18
thanks 1 user thanked Queue4Q for this useful post.
MarieJeanVR on 9/17/2018(UTC)
MarieJeanVR  
#20 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 11:18:39 AM(UTC)
MarieJeanVR

United States

Thanks so much, that’s very helpful to know!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed