Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

29 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hampton121  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:16:33 AM(UTC)
Hampton121

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I applied for the IA 2018 vacancy back in August, but I still haven't heard anything about being able to take Phase 1. Is it possible to just go into the test and take it n pass without studying for it? or is it a test that you MUST study for if you want to pass it?
Hampton121  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2018 6:54:48 AM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

Originally Posted by: Queue4Q Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MarieJeanVR Go to Quoted Post
Do you guys know if they wait to contact you until after the vacancy closes or if it can happen before? Casually stalking my application for updates,ha.

I don't know how it was for others, but when I applied in September 2017, I wasn't contacted to start testing until February of this year. In those intervening months, it was radio silence. I was actually surprised when I got the notification to begin testing because I had completely forgotten about applying and had given up at that point.

You completed phase 3 and got the condition job offer the exact same day?
Vlad73  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2018 2:00:09 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hampton121 Go to Quoted Post
I applied for the IA 2018 vacancy back in August, but I still haven't heard anything about being able to take Phase 1. Is it possible to just go into the test and take it n pass without studying for it? or is it a test that you MUST study for if you want to pass it?

You can't really "study" for it. The sections include questions on spatial relations and those that require you to order people or objects in a list based on criteria. If you've ever taken a test for other fed analytic jobs they're similar.
motherofdragons  
#24 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 5:13:10 AM(UTC)
motherofdragons

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Finally got some good news! After 1 year and 9 months, I have been favorably adjudicated! Just need to wait on a class now.

EDIT: @Hampton121, I am trying to respond to your PM but your inbox is full!

Edited by user Friday, September 28, 2018 7:29:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scootz2310  
#25 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 1:34:34 PM(UTC)
Scootz2310

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Congrats, @motherofdragons!
John Kimble  
#26 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2018 7:44:44 PM(UTC)

Hey everyone!

I passed Phase I and Phase II in the 2016 application pool, but I had to turn down my Phase III invite because of a different commitment.

I applied for IA 2018 yesterday. Hopefully, I get an invite for Phase III soon enough.
motherofdragons  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2018 5:13:33 AM(UTC)
motherofdragons

United States

Originally Posted by: Scootz2310 Go to Quoted Post
Congrats, @motherofdragons!

Thank you, Scootz! Yeah to everyone just starting out, it is a long process, so be prepared!! Don't stop living your life because it will get very frustrating if this is all you are waiting for (I know from firsthand experience)
Hampton121  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2018 5:59:54 AM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

How long did it take for your guys status to update on the website? it's been longer than 5 to 6 weeks and it still hasn't updated yet.
Queue4Q  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2018 9:52:51 AM(UTC)
Queue4Q

United States

How long did it take for your guys status to update on the website? it's been longer than 5 to 6 weeks and it still hasn't updated yet.

Hampton,

For me specifically, it took months to have any changes. I don't know how it was for other applicants, but be advised that it is a long process. And by long I mean could take years. Look at motherofdragons who has been in background since January 2017 and she was just now favorably adjudicated! And that isn't even cleared for hire OR in a class. And that's just her background. That is not including the three phases at all.

The key to this whole process is an insane amount of patience. You'll learn soon how patient you can be.
2017 FBI IA
PI&II: 2/18
PIII&CJO: 5/18
PSI&Poly: 6/18
BI: 7/18
Hampton121  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, October 02, 2018 10:03:10 AM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

Yes I see you have a point with the whole patience thing. Especially since it took you months just to receive the invitation for phase 1 just from sending in the application.
cat00  
#31 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 12:51:16 PM(UTC)
cat00

Woman
United States

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I have embraced patience, it helps.

I first applied for FBI IA in 2016, and again each year after. No luck so far.

But this is my dream job, so I keep trying.

In the meantime I am occupying myself by chasing my masters degree, doing training for my current job, and working on self improvement via open-courseware/moocs. I am also reading about the agency. The FBI books thread has some good links. I especially enjoy Jerri William's podcast. I'm also looking for information about the intel community in general.

The bottom line is that I've found that it helps to stay busy, and self-improvement is still progress...the progress helps with the patience.

I wish you all much patience, progress and luck.

Take care

thanks 1 user thanked cat00 for this useful post.
Queue4Q on 10/29/2018(UTC)
John Kimble  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 12:18:18 PM(UTC)

Well, this sure is a slow process. I remember the 2016 IA application going much faster.
Hampton121  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 12:20:00 PM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

What has your timeline been so far John?
John Kimble  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 12:47:23 PM(UTC)

What has your timeline been so far John?

Applied: March 2016
Phase 1 Test: April 2016
Phase 2 Results: May 2016
First Phase 3 Invited: May 2016 (Told recruiters I couldn't proceed at this time)
Reapplied: September 2018

I turned down multiple Phase III invites due to another commitment, so I had to reapply for the 2018 opening but was told I'd go straight to Phase III.

Hampton121  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 12:49:07 PM(UTC)
Hampton121

United States

Oh nice well at least you ahead of a lot of us who haven't even been able to take the first phase testing yet. I applied back in August 2018.
Scootz2310  
#36 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 6:30:25 PM(UTC)
Scootz2310

I just checked my FBI Jobs account, and my status changed from "Security Component" to "Contact Your Recruiter or Applicant Coordinator".

A little backstory, I had my PSI interview in July, and I was going to take my Poly in August but I remembered some "bad things" I didn't think of mentioning during the PSI. So before my Poly, I admitted to the additional things I didn't think of before, and the person who was going to give me the Poly sent the additional information I admitted to over to headquarters so I can get new questions.

I haven't heard anything from them since, and I just saw the status change on my account today. Has anyone had a similar experience or had their status change from "Security Component" to "Contact Your Recruiter or Applicant Coordinator"? It seems like I'm in for some bad news, and it makes me dread hearing that I can't move forward.
Vlad73  
#37 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2018 4:40:14 AM(UTC)

I was an applicant for an FBI position (something to do with surveillance assignments) in 2006. I got to the poly (my first ever) and halfway through the examiner says I'm "showing angst" on the drug use question. I have never used - not even a single joint or pill. I told her that I had been offered mushrooms while walking on a beach in Jamaica in 1993 but didn't buy (I honestly thought he was offering me fungi / pizza topping at first, it didn't "click" until a minute or so later). She had me write it down and we continued. She said at the end it "looked OK" but they'll send it to HQ. A week later I get a call that I've been rejected. I request the poly results through FOIA and it looked like a very steady upward slope indicating increasing anxiety after I had been falsely accused. I appealed and was denied.

So to sum up, yes, they definitely could have used what you said "against you" and rejected you. Sorry.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Scootz2310 on 11/17/2018(UTC)
Scootz2310  
#38 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2018 3:30:36 PM(UTC)
Scootz2310

Originally Posted by: Vlad73 Go to Quoted Post
I was an applicant for an FBI position (something to do with surveillance assignments) in 2006. I got to the poly (my first ever) and halfway through the examiner says I'm "showing angst" on the drug use question. I have never used - not even a single joint or pill. I told her that I had been offered mushrooms while walking on a beach in Jamaica in 1993 but didn't buy (I honestly thought he was offering me fungi / pizza topping at first, it didn't "click" until a minute or so later). She had me write it down and we continued. She said at the end it "looked OK" but they'll send it to HQ. A week later I get a call that I've been rejected. I request the poly results through FOIA and it looked like a very steady upward slope indicating increasing anxiety after I had been falsely accused. I appealed and was denied.

So to sum up, yes, they definitely could have used what you said "against you" and rejected you. Sorry.

I'm sorry that you experienced that unfair result. I'm preparing myself for the bad news on Monday. I figured that if I admitted all of my bad stuff, I would be okay. I haven't even taken the Poly at all yet, so I thought I would at least get a shot at passing that before the pulled the plug on me...

What happened after the denial? You could no longer work for the FBI at all?

Edited by user Saturday, November 17, 2018 3:31:58 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Vlad73  
#39 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 1:45:04 PM(UTC)

At the time they had a lifetime ban for anyone failing a poly but have since then fortunately cancelled that draconian policy.
someoldguy  
#40 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 1:58:33 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 905 time(s) in 758 post(s)
Wasnt there somebody on here who went through the whole process, got cleared, and in the end they didn't get hired? What a mess.

Hopefully others will not face the same outcome.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed