Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

FBI

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency. The FBI has investigative jurisdiction over violations of more than 200 categories of federal crime.

Headquartered in Washington, DC, the FBI has over 55 field offices located throughout the USA as well as smaller units throughout the world.

Perhaps you are working for the FBI or interested in working for the FBI. Here is a forum to share your experience with the FBI.

51 Pages«<4647484950>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
IAdreamin  
#941 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2021 10:03:45 AM(UTC)
IAdreamin

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cmar Go to Quoted Post

What would the difference be between the two? You’d think it would be related to BI (not to at all imply you’ve done anything to make you out of the running) and if it were suitability that would’ve happened much earlier.

Well every agency has their own suitability guidelines. It's possible I could have still been adjudicated favorably for the TS/SCI (I've had one before), but the FBI just doesn't want me. That's what's so frustrating because I was upfront about everything and they should've been able to deny me over a year ago during my SF86 and PSI. So now I'm just going to eat myself up wondering what may have caused it with no answer.
IA Applicant
Applied: Sep 26 2018
PI: Dec 6 2018
PII: Dec 11 2018 (Jan 17 2019)
PIII: Nov 8 2019
Poly/Prints: Jan 2020
Gnocchi16  
#942 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2021 12:19:56 PM(UTC)
Gnocchi16

United States

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I can understand that. I would feel the same way. Did you have any contact that you were working with that you could call/email?
IAdreamin  
#943 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2021 1:40:30 PM(UTC)
IAdreamin

United States

Originally Posted by: Gnocchi16 Go to Quoted Post
I can understand that. I would feel the same way. Did you have any contact that you were working with that you could call/email?

No. I could call or email the FO, but it's unlikely that they'd have any info. The denial email came with instructions to file eFOIPA for BI paperwork. I did that. From others on this forum, it'll take months to get anything back (and that was pre-COVID). So at this point I'm SOL.
IA Applicant
Amalgamation  
#944 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2021 4:44:32 PM(UTC)
Amalgamation

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IAdreamin Go to Quoted Post

No. I could call or email the FO, but it's unlikely that they'd have any info. The denial email came with instructions to file eFOIPA for BI paperwork. I did that. From others on this forum, it'll take months to get anything back (and that was pre-COVID). So at this point I'm SOL.

My condolences, that sucks, especially with not having a reason for it. I'd still file the eFOIPA, but I think you're right that the wait will be lengthy. Any thoughts on reapplying, or applying to different agencies?
IAdreamin  
#945 Posted : Thursday, April 15, 2021 5:01:47 PM(UTC)
IAdreamin

United States

Originally Posted by: Amalgamation Go to Quoted Post

My condolences, that sucks, especially with not having a reason for it. I'd still file the eFOIPA, but I think you're right that the wait will be lengthy. Any thoughts on reapplying, or applying to different agencies?

I'll look around other agencies and see what positions they have that are similar.

If I ever get an answer as to why I was found unsuitable and it turns out to be a misunderstanding/error or something that can be fixed, then I'll reapply. But as of now, I'm operating under the assumption that I can't ever apply to any FBI position.
IA Applicant
Amalgamation  
#946 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2021 9:23:28 AM(UTC)
Amalgamation

United States

Anyone else have a date change last week? I checked this morning and show Friday at 5:06pm, though it's still Security Component: Investigation in Process. To be honest, after IADreamin's results, I'm more than a little nervous, but hoping it just means they're starting interviews again.

Unrelated, I have word from someone who is currently at Q, and they confirmed there is a full component of NIATs in each class. So it's not that they're not calling anyone to training, just that they're not calling the 13 of us that are still in BI on this forum.
cmar  
#947 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2021 10:38:09 AM(UTC)
cmar

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)
No update from me. My last date change was 3/3/21. I also feel nervous after they shared their recent news. I feel like we’ve all been in this process for a long time, it gets a little disheartening seeing how quickly SAs get to Q wondering if I slipped through the cracks somewhere.
IA App:8/28/18
I:12/19/18
II:12/26/18, pass 1/16/19
III:11/7/19, pass 11/13/19
CJO:12/13/19
PSI:1/13/20
Poly:1/17/20
BI:Pending
tenaciousnerd  
#948 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2021 10:48:49 AM(UTC)
tenaciousnerd

United States

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Anyone else have a date change last week? I checked this morning and show Friday at 5:06pm, though it's still Security Component: Investigation in Process. To be honest, after IADreamin's results, I'm more than a little nervous, but hoping it just means they're starting interviews again.

Unrelated, I have word from someone who is currently at Q, and they confirmed there is a full component of NIATs in each class. So it's not that they're not calling anyone to training, just that they're not calling the 13 of us that are still in BI on this forum.

Amal, sounds like you're in adjudication. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a favorable decision since you weren't notified right away. Hopefully you hear from them soon with your offer!
App: Sep 2018
PI/II: Dec 2018
PII pass: Jan 2019
PIII/pass: Sep 2019
PSI/fingerprints/poly: Dec 2019
Date change: Feb 2021
thanks 1 user thanked tenaciousnerd for this useful post.
cmar on 4/19/2021(UTC)
Gnocchi16  
#949 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2021 10:56:35 AM(UTC)
Gnocchi16

United States

My last date change was 3/23/21. Nothing since. It is disheartening, especially after IADreamin’s news. Not sure what to expect.
IAdreamin  
#950 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2021 1:06:35 PM(UTC)
IAdreamin

United States

As the saying goes, "no news is good news".

I was informed relatively immediately (about an hour after date change). If you've had recent date changes and haven't heard anything, I would guess that it represents your background being complete and moving to adjudication.
IA Applicant
thanks 1 user thanked IAdreamin for this useful post.
Amalgamation on 4/19/2021(UTC)
Amalgamation  
#951 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2021 1:20:49 PM(UTC)
Amalgamation

United States

No update from me. My last date change was 3/3/21. I also feel nervous after they shared their recent news. I feel like we’ve all been in this process for a long time, it gets a little disheartening seeing how quickly SAs get to Q wondering if I slipped through the cracks somewhere.

Don't forget that SAs account for 3/4 of the class size in Q; they get 150+ applicants per class where IAs only get about 45-50. There are significantly more SAs in the agency than IAs in the agency, so they have to be processed faster, and their job posting is open pretty much year-round.

Originally Posted by: tenaciousnerd Go to Quoted Post
Amal, sounds like you're in adjudication. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a favorable decision since you weren't notified right away. Hopefully you hear from them soon with your offer!

As much as I'd love to believe that, it doesn't feel right. Only about 1/3 of my references were contacted back in 2019, and most of my current references say they still have not been contacted; unless the agency has suddenly started doing really slipshod backgrounds, it seems unlikely that I'm getting cleared soon. I'd be happy with the date change indicating investigators are starting on my file again, though.

Random analysis:
My current company is being sold at the end of May, so my daily tasks have dropped off significantly. With nothing else to do, I decided to go through the forums and make a spreadsheet of everyone who'd posted as an IA from 2015 to 2018. Out of 216 applicants who've posted over those years, 93 made it to the polygraph phase. Of those, 36 have confirmed Q dates, 10 are still in BI, 5 reported that they were cleared but never mentioned a class date, and 5 deleted their accounts after passing the polygraph.

Nine applicants were told they wouldn't be hired after being in background, for various reasons, and 15 stopped posting after the polygraph with no word on what happened, so it's hard to say whether they went to Q or not. The remainder stopped posting on IA forums and started posting on other agency forums on Federal Soup.

Taking only the 36 who posted their Q start dates: the average time from application to Q is 694 days - just under 2 years. BUT, 2015 applicants averaged 723 days, the 2016 pool was 638, 2017 was 805 days, and 2018 has been 701 days so far. While reading the 2016 forums, I found an article that IAs were only invited to Q starting in 2016, and it became pretty obvious that they grossly underestimated how many NIATs they needed in each class the first year, so 2016 applicants were still going to Q through late 2018; probably why they didn't post a 2019 opening.

There doesn't seem to be any relation between P3 testing dates and Q, nor between poly dates and Q. Those of us still in BI have been waiting on average 948 days as of today (4/19/21). Long, but not the longest by far - there's one poor soul from 2017 who got their invite after 1,551 days. If you subtract the roughly 1 year of COVID holdup, we're still within the average background time for getting to Q. Hang in there, our time is coming.
thanks 1 user thanked Amalgamation for this useful post.
tenaciousnerd on 4/19/2021(UTC)
CriminalIA  
#952 Posted : Monday, April 19, 2021 1:23:00 PM(UTC)
CriminalIA

United States

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 36 post(s)

My last date change was 3/23/21. Nothing since. It is disheartening, especially after IADreamin’s news. Not sure what to expect.

I'm right there with all of you! I am such a pessimist that I am just assuming IADreamin's outcome will be mine, too. I've been keeping my eyes open for other positions that suit my skills/degree (crime and intelligence analysis) because after 2+ years (and honestly more, because I originally started in 2015 with my P1&2 but had to put my app on hold) I feel like I am more than ready to get started training and doing this. I've kept on doing life, of course, but this is what I want most so I've been willing to wait.
This certainly is a reminder that it doesn't matter how long you've been in the pipeline... if someone reads the background info/reports that have been gathered and written about you by an investigator(s) and, having not met you, decides you won't get a final offer, then that's that. I am expecting the worst because that is my nature, but definitely hoping for the best!

Edit: My last date change remains in early February, and it was +/- 2 weeks afterward when I was provided the update forms.

Edited by user Monday, April 19, 2021 1:27:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Additional info

Amalgamation  
#953 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2021 9:03:42 AM(UTC)
Amalgamation

United States

Originally Posted by: CriminalIA Go to Quoted Post
I'm right there with all of you! I am such a pessimist that I am just assuming IADreamin's outcome will be mine, too. I've been keeping my eyes open for other positions that suit my skills/degree (crime and intelligence analysis) because after 2+ years (and honestly more, because I originally started in 2015 with my P1&2 but had to put my app on hold) I feel like I am more than ready to get started training and doing this. I've kept on doing life, of course, but this is what I want most so I've been willing to wait.

Slightly more positive update, got an email from Ms. Tamburrino asking for an updated resume for consideration as an IA. I'm choosing to believe that means the process is starting up again. Here's to everyone getting similar contact soon.
cmar on 4/20/2021(UTC)
tenaciousnerd  
#954 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2021 9:11:34 AM(UTC)
tenaciousnerd

United States

Slightly more positive update, got an email from Ms. Tamburrino asking for an updated resume for consideration as an IA. I'm choosing to believe that means the process is starting up again. Here's to everyone getting similar contact soon.

Sounds like a really good sign, Amal! As to your point a few posts back: I have been through a security clearance process before, and not all my references were contacted then so I don't think they necessarily contact every reference. And this time around, they definitely contacted people I didn't provide info for. Judging by your timeline, I really do think you're in adjudication (though of course I could be wrong). My fingers are crossed for you!
Amalgamation on 4/20/2021(UTC)
cmar  
#955 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2021 2:10:44 AM(UTC)
cmar

United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 19 post(s)

That’s exciting! Had you updated your resume online since your application? In May of last year I uploaded a new one because at that point I’d been in a new position for over one year that they knew nothing about. Plus I had nothing better to do while sitting at home lol. My AC told me I didn’t need to do that since I already had a CJO, but I figured why not.
IA App:8/28/18
I:12/19/18
II:12/26/18, pass 1/16/19
III:11/7/19, pass 11/13/19
CJO:12/13/19
PSI:1/13/20
Poly:1/17/20
BI:Pending
Amalgamation  
#956 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2021 4:30:38 AM(UTC)
Amalgamation

United States

That’s exciting! Had you updated your resume online since your application? In May of last year I uploaded a new one because at that point I’d been in a new position for over one year that they knew nothing about. Plus I had nothing better to do while sitting at home lol. My AC told me I didn’t need to do that since I already had a CJO, but I figured why not.

To be honest, I hadn't even thought of it, since nothing really changed on it since my application. Ironically, it will probably change in the next few months, as the company I'm with now is being sold, but I was lucky enough that my job shifted to working from home without a problem during the pandemic. Also lucky in that I told them a year and a half ago when I got the CJO, and they just said let us know when you're called in - no retaliation or negative treatment, although I did get a thank you for "the longest notice of quitting a job."
cmar on 4/21/2021(UTC)
CriminalIA  
#957 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2021 10:50:25 AM(UTC)
CriminalIA

United States

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Had a date change in my portal this morning - currently wearing out my F5 key checking my email. Whatever comes next (no matter how long it takes, or whether I'm disappointed or excited), I'll update.
thanks 1 user thanked CriminalIA for this useful post.
cmar on 4/21/2021(UTC)
tenaciousnerd  
#958 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2021 10:54:12 AM(UTC)
tenaciousnerd

United States

Had a date change in my portal this morning - currently wearing out my F5 key checking my email. Whatever comes next (no matter how long it takes, or whether I'm disappointed or excited), I'll update.

I'd guess you're safe as IAdreaming said they got notification just an hour after theirs updated. Fingers crossed for you!
CriminalIA on 4/21/2021(UTC)
Gnocchi16  
#959 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2021 10:58:32 AM(UTC)
Gnocchi16

United States

Thank you for the update on your update! Keep us updated!

My last portal update was 3/23/21. Nothing since.
thanks 1 user thanked Gnocchi16 for this useful post.
Amalgamation  
#960 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2021 12:37:19 PM(UTC)
Amalgamation

United States

Originally Posted by: tenaciousnerd Go to Quoted Post

I'd guess you're safe as IAdreaming said they got notification just an hour after theirs updated. Fingers crossed for you!

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Nice to see things moving - hopefully this means the process is back up and running for all of us.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed